What do you think of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:04 am

KimD wrote:
Ah, but the thing is, every high school has at least one "Chad," anyway.

Hufflepuffs don't get much airtime as it is; throw the good dogs a bone, wouldn't ya?

The impression I had is that there were a number of Chads in Slytherin

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:05 am

Cedric took Cho?

I loved it. The most memorable parts for me were when Hermione had to put up with the guys fighting. That was unusual, and as such, interesting. I liked that Neville came into his own in that movie and began to shine, which continued into the final book when he cut the head off the snake. I LOVED how Mad Eye's character would lick his lips like a frog when the polyjuice potion started wearing off. I like to torment my son during the movie doing that at him :cyclopsani: I loved how you finally got to see V pairing off with H and dueling. I loved reading the books to my children, and I love the movies. :heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:06 am

ironpony wrote:
KimD wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tessadiamonds21 wrote:
I think that the GOF is an amazing film! I personally think it would be the only type of Olympic sport I would watch, plus the way its finally brought ( you know who) back was brilliant. Does anyone think this ?

Yes I thought it was clever way to spin the story leading to "you know who" coming back. I personally found the Cedric Diggory character somewhat annoying but I guess every teenage wizard movie needs Chads.

Ah, but the thing is, every high school has at least one "Chad," anyway.

Hufflepuffs don't get much airtime as it is; throw the good dogs a bone, wouldn't ya?

I never thought of Cedric as a Chad, as I don't remember him having a date to the dance, unless I remember wrong :).

Did you watch the movie? Everywhere Cedric walked he had female/male admirers. Not quite as high profile as Igor karkaroff but enough there to give him the label.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:07 am

MissMary227 wrote:
Cedric took Cho?

I loved it. The most memorable parts for me were when Hermione had to put up with the guys fighting. That was unusual, and as such, interesting. I liked that Neville came into his own in that movie and began to shine, which continued into the final book when he cut the head off the snake. I LOVED how Mad Eye's character would lick his lips like a frog when the polyjuice potion started wearing off. I like to torment my son during the movie doing that at him :cyclopsani: I loved how you finally got to see V pairing off with H and dueling. I loved reading the books to my children, and I love the movies. :heart:

I never understood what Karkaroff saw in Hermione. She came across as a little girl.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Cedric took Cho?

I never understood what Karkaroff saw in Hermione. She came across as a little girl.

I think it was an opposites-attract sort of thing? He noticed her standing out and not chasing him around and that intrigued him. Used to getting what he wanted, he needed to conquer her and he sort of did in that she went to the dance with him and 'snogged' him a lot.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:17 am

MissMary227 wrote:
I think it was an opposites-attract sort of thing? He noticed her standing out and not chasing him around and that intrigued him. Used to getting what he wanted, he needed to conquer her and he sort of did in that she went to the dance with him and 'snogged' him a lot.

My point is that Goblet of Fire Hermione looked prepubescent like she was still a kid. She wasn't obviously a teen who had blossomed (like say Christina Applegate in "Love and Marriage")

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

My point is that Goblet of Fire Hermione looked prepubescent like she was still a kid. She wasn't obviously a teen who had blossomed (like say Christina Applegate in "Love and Marriage")

I never considered such things. But my mind isn't seared of the flesh, like maybe yours is.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2023, 12:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Cedric took Cho?

Oh, I get it. Maybe Karkaroff was a secret pedophile?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:23 am

My point is that the "character" from the book was supposed to be an attractive teen (attractive to boys her age) who was also book smart

Hermione was book smart (no dispute there) but Emma Watson was not (in my view) dateable as she still looked like a little kid

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2023, 4:53 pm

one of or most least enjoyed movie to rewatch in the series for me, I mean sure the tasks are interesting and the graveyard but that's it. I think POA is the best movie adaptation yet. For books I like HBP the most.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2023, 1:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
My point is that the "character" from the book was supposed to be an attractive teen (attractive to boys her age) who was also book smart

Hermione was book smart (no dispute there) but Emma Watson was not (in my view) dateable as she still looked like a little kid

Krum (not Karkaroff) was close to her age in the story, high school age, likely a year or two older. In my mind it fits well. Do you want Krum to be with an older woman? :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 1:35 am

MissMary227 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Krum (not Karkaroff) was close to her age in the story, high school age, likely a year or two older. In my mind it fits well. Do you want Krum to be with an older woman? :D

Sorry I mean't Krum. In the book they are similar age but in the movie Emma Watson still looked like a kid.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 1:36 am

Garthilium wrote:
one of or most least enjoyed movie to rewatch in the series for me, I mean sure the tasks are interesting and the graveyard but that's it. I think POA is the best movie adaptation yet. For books I like HBP the most.

It's fun though!

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2023, 5:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
It's fun though!

the other stuff in it? hmm yeah the world cup is fun and until death eater attack. :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 6:16 pm

Garthilium wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
It's fun though!

the other stuff in it? hmm yeah the world cup is fun and until death eater attack. :P

It's a nice balance of silly Hogwarts drama and dark magic

Werewolf1061C
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I read it a long time ago & I found it entertaining.

As did me and my family.

It's a good book. The entire Harry Potter series is good for both children & adults. It has a universal appeal.

Despite JK Rowling having revealed her true self. :evil:

Honestly, I feel as though the criticisms of her being transphobic are way overblown/hyped.

We somehow live in a world in which it's considered OK to advocate violence against JK Rowling (wrote an essay about what she thinks the word 'woman' means) but not Mike Pence (actively used his political power to measurably harm trans people in accordance with his openly held belief that they should not exist)

I don't think either of these people should be harmed, or be President, but it's clear to me that some people make more convenient targets than others. We have seen this pattern before, and I believe that we will have seen it many more times before we as a society recognize it for what it truly represents.