Hello - Dad of 6 yr old son with ASD (lvl 3)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MrAnderson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2022, 11:17 am

Hi everyone, I'm here to learn more about autism.

Nice to meet you all.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 1:06 pm

Welcome Neo. Good to see another Matrix fan. :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 2:12 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it at least a little useful to visit here.

I'm Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), and I'm 67, so I'm not exactly like your son. Well, if you've been browsing around on the Internet you have likely already read the observation: If you've met one Autistic you've met one Autistic. That is, we are all different.

Things I remember from my distant past childhood:

*-- I was the oldest child. My younger siblings did not hang around the house much so I got to spend a lot of time alone. I liked that.

*-- Before I was ten, I think, I had my own bedroom. I liked that!

*-- When my parents "decorated" my bedroom they consulted my tastes. They showed me color samples to choose from. I chose -"cadet blue" for the walls-, -a darkish blue for the carpet-, -black for the bedspread, curtains, and painted furniture (and for my towel and washcloth). They thought it was boring and dull but they did it!! Plus, they made the curtains not-just-black-but-light-blocking! Some of the furniture had white in lesser features but it was OK. I was very comfortable in that room. (And, it turned out that when my Dad had to work night shifts he discovered my room was a great place to sleep during the daytime.)

*-- I was apparently inattentive in second grade and grabbed a book at home that was way too advanced for me...my parents had a parent-teacher conference and came home with Tom Swift, Jr., And His Giant Robot! I will be eternally grateful to that teacher! My parents kept me supplied with books. Books that I liked. In my case, that meant a lot of science fiction and frequent trips to the library. I liked that! And, I think they liked it that their grade-schooler wanted to read "real" books (Tom Swift, Jr., Hardy Boys, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Sherlock Holmes, etc.).

*-- We lived in the outer suburbs and there were a lot of woods and undeveloped land that I could spend time in. And a small number of boys my age to spend time with. That worked well. (Except the bullies were horrible.)

Your son's tastes, interests, and preferences might be completely different than mine, of course. But...I was 64 when I found out I was Autistic. My Dad is still alive so, predictably, I queried him a bit about when I was very young. I really like one thing he said:

<=+=>We saw that you were doing weird things
<=+=>but we decided you weren't being bad, you were just like that,
<=+=>so we decided not to punish you.

<=+=+=+=>I am so glad!

I worked out OK and have done reasonably well in life.

P.S. I still use black towels, washcloths, and hand towels.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 2:27 pm

If you want to take the red pill, ask questions in the Parents' Discussion forum, where other parents will hopefully be able to advise.

MrAnderson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2022, 5:18 pm

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, it's a pleasure to meet you all, and nice to read some little tips.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 6:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:58 am

welcome! I raised 2 autistic kids without ever knowing about my own autism or theirs, so long ago. We all survived and are doing well. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

Hello. Welcome to Wrong Planet.
Level 3 is the most severe form of autism. Children in this category will have many of the same behaviors as those with levels 1 and 2.

Most of the people with Autism are on level one or two. I think I read somewhere that it is possible to advance up the scale with some help. I believe that to be true. So it may be possible to help your son of 6.

I think the important thing to pass on is that everyone (neurotypicals) have + and -. In our case we also have + and - but some of us have ++ and --. And some of us are off the charts with +++++ and -----. The best approach to expanding is to learn what your +s are and use them to compensate and bring balance to your -s.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I'd be happy to try to answer your questions.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Hello. Welcome to Wrong Planet.
Level 3 is the most severe form of autism. Children in this category will have many of the same behaviors as those with levels 1 and 2.

Please don't confuse the levels with severity. The levels are support needs. So all level 3 means is the accessors want him to get the highest level of support. For all we know, he isn't any more autistic than most of us, just has high support needs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:11 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen: