Was it better to be unaware of your own autism?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AngloIrishGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2022, 8:50 am

I dont think it made much of a difference. I was a freak before, and im a freak now. Ive never fitted in, not even with other aspies. I guess its good, because I get disability allowance. Its not good, because my parents forced me to take a lot of nasty antipsychotics and treated me like i was broken, when they really should have taken a look at themselves.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:43 pm

AngloIrishGuy wrote:
I dont think it made much of a difference. I was a freak before, and im a freak now. Ive never fitted in, not even with other aspies.

Same here. I've just accepted now that I will never find my 'niche' or 'gang', I'll always be the odd one out. I'm lucky I found a husband who accepted me, god knows how that happened! But in a few decades, no doubt he'll die first and I'll be alone again.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 5, so I can't really remember how life was before that to be able to make a clear comparison.

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 3:23 pm

Diagnosed at 46 and much better off for it. For a couple of years it felt like a big deal but not so much any more.

Highlander852456
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2022, 6:16 pm

Maybe, but currently reading a book about autism, from Christopher Gillber(2002),
a guide to Asperger syndrome - ... and its scary accurate account of certain realities in my life.

Unfortunately I spend a good deal of my life thinking something is not right with me, at times, I had a tendency to mask my natural instincts and behaviors.

I had many situations where I may or did cause lots of unintended consequences.
Sometimes due to watching and repeating behaviors without full comprehension what they are.

I have spend most of my life looking at people wondering how they do it.

My interactions were often horrible and not very fun.

Some interaction may have been fun for me, but not always acceptable.

So yeah my ability to learn about autism has some properties and qualities that I may use to work on my self in regards to people relations, optimize my approach to people and learn to be OK with certain things without being hindered by people who function differently.

I intend to take notes and see a psychologist as soon as possible and see what type of framework I can use to work on this.
Not sure what can be done or what I will do with the information yet.
Then again if its going to end up better I prefer that.

I prefer to know. After all truth is truth whether someone likes it or not.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:57 pm

It was shocking and then illuminating. I am delighted to have learned I have autism. It makes my life make sense. It is the only thing that explains all the weirdness in my life.