Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:51 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've been thinking about this. Any autistic or disabled person that's been reveling in the removal of Roe vs. Wade and the possibility of these other rights being revoked should prepare themselves. Unlike all of these other issues a fair amount of people won't notice or care when they finally come to reduce the rights disabled people have, especially developmentally disabled people. This is a massive slippery slope that's going to eventually bite all of us in the ass, and any autistic person supporting it is just shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm always flabbergasted when autistic or otherwise marginalised people are racist, sexist, or intolerant of diversity. Invisible disabilities and mental health will take the hit first, and then physical and acquired conditions. Eugenics? Hmmm ... that will be an interesting show of hypocrisy for pro-lifers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:54 pm

This is a rather frightening thread , not a bad one but …. The possible future consequences cause those feelings in me. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 2:37 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've been thinking about this. Any autistic or disabled person that's been reveling in the removal of Roe vs. Wade and the possibility of these other rights being revoked should prepare themselves. Unlike all of these other issues a fair amount of people won't notice or care when they finally come to reduce the rights disabled people have, especially developmentally disabled people. This is a massive slippery slope that's going to eventually bite all of us in the ass, and any autistic person supporting it is just shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Trump already made the slippery slide for autistic people
https://www.insider.com/how-donald-trum ... ist-2019-9
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywilli ... ic-people/

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 6:17 am

cyberdad wrote:

1, Abortion
2. gay/trans rights
3. affirmative action
4. immigration

I think that's the order it will happen

No, UK government started on immigration already, quite a while ago. Probably about 2 years ago? They've been trying to prevent 'people in boats' crossing the channel for ages and of course sending them to Rwanda to 'start a new life' cough cough cough. Also sending the Windrush Generation 'back home.' This rule of course only applies to Brown and Black people. The white Ukrainian refugees are strangely, allowed to stay! Although mistreated here. What could be the reason I wonder...

Government has also been slowly killing off disabled people by making benefits impossible to negotiate or obtain. Private companies were brought in to assess disabilities and surprise surprise most disabled people were found to be ineligible for benefits. I have a friend with cerebral palsy, he is in a wheelchair and uses a voice machine like Stephen Hawking. He was ineligible for benefits.

Government killed as many old and vulnerable people off as they could during the pandemic by sending people with covid from hospital back home/ to nursing homes without testing them first, so they took covid back with them and killed everyone.

So, that is:

1. Immigrants.
2. Disabled people.
3. Old people.

Next:
4. Abortion rules.
5. Gay/trans rights.

What's affirmative action?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just putting government's actions in order :(

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 7:22 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

1, Abortion
2. gay/trans rights
3. affirmative action
4. immigration

I think that's the order it will happen

No, UK government started on immigration already, quite a while ago. Probably about 2 years ago? They've been trying to prevent 'people in boats' crossing the channel for ages and of course sending them to Rwanda to 'start a new life' cough cough cough. Also sending the Windrush Generation 'back home.' This rule of course only applies to Brown and Black people. The white Ukrainian refugees are strangely, allowed to stay! Although mistreated here. What could be the reason I wonder...

Government has also been slowly killing off disabled people by making benefits impossible to negotiate or obtain. Private companies were brought in to assess disabilities and surprise surprise most disabled people were found to be ineligible for benefits. I have a friend with cerebral palsy, he is in a wheelchair and uses a voice machine like Stephen Hawking. He was ineligible for benefits.

Government killed as many old and vulnerable people off as they could during the pandemic by sending people with covid from hospital back home/ to nursing homes without testing them first, so they took covid back with them and killed everyone.

So, that is:

1. Immigrants.
2. Disabled people.
3. Old people.

Next:
4. Abortion rules.
5. Gay/trans rights.

Oh sorry, my list for the US

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

So, that is:

1. Immigrants.
2. Disabled people.
3. Old people.

Next:
4. Abortion rules.
5. Gay/trans rights.

Oh sorry, my list for the US

Oh, haha! Well that was the UK for you. We're slowly sinking into fascism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm

KitLily wrote:

This is a common gripe in most European dominated countries where there are quotas for minorities + workplace discrimination laws etc....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:26 pm

They'd better not take away gay marriage.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:00 pm

A conservative legal podcast I sometimes listen to does not think Obergefell will fall for a couple of reasons:
1. Gay marriage is distinguishable from abortion in that reliance on Obergefell has lingering, continuing effects throughout society. While an abortion decision sits at one point in time and, thus, related law can theoretically be changed without pulling a lot of existing threads, marriages last decades. If Obergefell fell, what would happen to all the married couples that relied on the decision? For that main reason, stare decisis is going to have a lot more weight with Obergefell.
2. Kavenaugh, in his concurring opinion, seemed to send up a flare with the basic meaning of, "I'm you're fifth vote, and I won't support overturning Obergefell."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:28 pm

We're going back in time. I hope they won't target the vulnerable people next and bring up eugenics.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:01 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
2. Kavenaugh, in his concurring opinion, seemed to send up a flare with the basic meaning of, "I'm you're fifth vote, and I won't support overturning Obergefell."

Kavanaugh seems to be reeking revenge on those who tried to remove his appointment

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:02 am

Roe, Obergefell, Lawrence, et al, need to be either their own amendments, or part of a second Bill of Rights.

If any of their codifications fail by legislation, they need to be decided by national referendum.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:03 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Roe, Obergefell, Lawrence, et al, need to be either their own amendments, or part of a second Bill of Rights.

If any of their codifications fail by legislation, they need to be decided by national referendum.

It's strange that overturning Roe Vs Wade wasn't put to a ballot?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

This is a common gripe in most European dominated countries where there are quotas for minorities + workplace discrimination laws etc....

I still don't know what you mean :P

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's strange that overturning Roe Vs Wade wasn't put to a ballot?

It seems we're shafted whichever way we go. If a court or government decides on something, the worst decision is made e.g. Roe v Wade overturned. If a vote or referendum decides on something, the worst decision is made e.g. Brexit.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:56 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I still don't know what you mean :P

Basically enforcing minority rights through things like quotas. For example having a minimum number of women or PoC in management. The "anti-woke" crowd call these people "diversity hire" insinuating they were only picked because they were black or because they were female (not because they had skills).