Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 11:10 am

Do you really need Conduct Disorder to have Antisocial Personality Disorder?

I think that you can develop Antisocial Personality Disorder without Conduct Disorder, if you were in a bad environment or had neurogenic or mental disorder that has the same symptoms as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 12:31 pm

Even if you otherwise exactly match the diagnostic criteria for ASPD a prior diagnosis for Conduct Disorder is required to be diagnosed with ASPD.

I can see where you're coming from, especially if the person was able to avoid having the extent of their issues as a child noticed. That said, the diagnostic criteria would still exclude that person.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 12:55 pm

That makes sense.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Even if you otherwise exactly match the diagnostic criteria for ASPD a prior diagnosis for Conduct Disorder is required to be diagnosed with ASPD.

I can see where you're coming from, especially if the person was able to avoid having the extent of their issues as a child noticed. That said, the diagnostic criteria would still exclude that person.

What if a person meets diagnostic criteria for ASPD, but without Conduct Disorder and that person needs therapy? Should there be an adult-onset Conduct Disorder?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:29 pm

FranzOren wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

What if a person meets diagnostic criteria for ASPD, but without Conduct Disorder and that person needs therapy? Should there be an adult-onset Conduct Disorder?

If that person needs therapy they need therapy regardless of the diagnosis, no?

I do believe there needs to be something analogous to ASPD for those who don't meet that one criteria (childhood CD) but meet all of the others, or that the definition needs broadened.

That said, what you or I might prefer doesn't impact the way things are currently written.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:47 pm

That makes sense.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
FranzOren wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If that person needs therapy they need therapy regardless of the diagnosis, no?

I do believe there needs to be something analogous to ASPD for those who don't meet that one criteria (childhood CD) but meet all of the others, or that the definition needs broadened.

That said, what you or I might prefer doesn't impact the way things are currently written.

There should be such thing as adult-onset Conduct Disorder, if you develop symptoms of maladaptive antisocial traits in adulthood, but don't meet diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:02 am

In my personal experience people with aspd aren't usually interested in treatment and only do it if it is forced upon them.

Also I've known people who were diagnosed with CD and then assessed in adulthood and diagnosed with NPD and not with ASPD.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 7:43 am

That makes sense.