Should this be a States rights issue
Do you agree it is a States right issue? 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Or do you consider this a human right issue? 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 11

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:41 pm

Tennessee fed judge blocked Biden attempts on enforcement of Rights of LGBTQ+ people .
On the heels of the Roe V Wade overturn . Biden executive order was to have the USA recognize the rights of these people . Provision of the order for States receiving Federal Aide .And Tennessee court has blocked this order .
So this seems to be a aweful situation that is to be occurring, News stated that this judge was also put into his position by Donald Trump . As if Trump had not created enough disgusting situations . :evil:
So it is appearing as if ? It might not be a safe thing to be LGBTQ+ person and live in Tennessee?
Welcome to 21st century USA :|

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:51 pm

"States' Rights" was used to perpetuate the Jim Crow laws against African Americans.

I believe I've had enough of "states' rights."

I might not like Alexander Hamilton----but his notions as to a strong federal government ring more true than Jefferson's notions of "states' rights."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
"States' Rights" was used to perpetuate the Jim Crow laws against African Americans.

I believe I've had enough of "states' rights."

I might not like Alexander Hamilton----but his notions as to a strong federal government ring more true than Jefferson's notions of "states' rights."

I’d strongly agree. Maybe in the beginning a strong federal government would’ve been dangerous but not now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

Don't forget: we tried extreme "states' rights" under the Articles of Confederation. This lasted about 10 or so years.

In 1787, it was decided that the Articles weren't working any longer----so a Constitutional Convention was called.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:44 pm

"States rights" shouldn't triumph over the rights of individuals. There is no reason that the legality of gay marriage needs to vary depending on the state, and no reason that a few select individuals should get to decide who the rest of the population of their state can or can't marry. Things like this should just be legal across the board and anyone who doesn't like gay marriage can just easily choose to not get married to people of the same gender.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

expect Tennessee to do what happened in the eisenhauer years where there was a systematic purge of gay folk from government and all levels of business, in the 50s.