Australian soap Neighbours is ending forever

Page 7 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 2:41 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Neighbours has just always been there for me, a constant companion. I associate it with the relief of getting home from school and decompressing with some sunny nonsense from a better place.

^^Exactly this! Getting home from school and decompressing with nonsense. I also loved Dynasty every Friday, that had the same effect. So many shows fill this niche, they are so necessary.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 12:18 pm

They are starting to film the new series of Neighbours (to be shown on Amazon Freevee) on 17th April!! !! !! !! !! !! !!

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 2:25 am

I actually live just a few kilometres from the real street used as Ramsay St in Neighbours. I've never watched a whole episode of Neighbours, although obviously I'm aware of the show and have seen snippets of it here and there.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:25 am

^ OMG!! !! !

*Waits eagerly for the million questions KitLily must ask her*

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 7:41 am

jennyishere wrote:
I actually live just a few kilometres from the real street used as Ramsay St in Neighbours. I've never watched a whole episode of Neighbours, although obviously I'm aware of the show and have seen snippets of it here and there.

What! You must watch an episode!

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 1:04 am

KitLily wrote:
[What! You must watch an episode!

To be honest, whenever I've had to watch scenes from Neighbours or Home and Away or other Australian soaps, the acting, storylines and dialogue have grated on my nerves. They're just not to my taste, I'm afraid.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:30 am

jennyishere wrote:
KitLily wrote:
[What! You must watch an episode!

To be honest, whenever I've had to watch scenes from Neighbours or Home and Away or other Australian soaps, the acting, storylines and dialogue have grated on my nerves. They're just not to my taste, I'm afraid.

I just find it comforting and silly, I'm not looking for great acting or realism. Neighbours is just a happy, silly show where I can escape the horrors of the world for half an hour each day :heart: God knows we need escapism these days.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:48 am

There's nothing wrong with a bit of escapism. I watch all sorts of random stuff! :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:52 am

Too late! That stupid show should have ended 30 years ago!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:54 am

Also I love to see the sunny, warm weather of Australian soaps. It's so cheering during the endless dull, rainy, cold, depressing English winter/spring/summer/autumn.

English soaps are depressing but the Australian ones always feature beaches, sunshine, barbecues, swimming pools etc. Such a nice change to our weather. Especially as there are usually handsome men in swimming trunks running around on the beach :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:55 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Too late! That stupid show should have ended 30 years ago!

If you're going to come into my thread and insult something I like, please go away again. I don't do that to you, so don't be unfair.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:59 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes. English soaps are always miserable but Australian ones tend to be sunny, warm, and people care about each other.
Are people in England really friendly to their neighbors? Honest question, I've never been there.

KitLily wrote:
The opposite of real life!
Oooh boy. There's this reputation that Australians are easy going, classless and egalitarian. In my experience Australians are a little bit tense and prone to outbursts of classism.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:32 am

KitLily wrote:
Also I love to see the sunny, warm weather of Australian soaps. It's so cheering during the endless dull, rainy, cold, depressing English winter/spring/summer/autumn.

English soaps are depressing but the Australian ones always feature beaches, sunshine, barbecues, swimming pools etc. Such a nice change to our weather. Especially as there are usually handsome men in swimming trunks running around on the beach :lol:

The soaps definitely present an idealised version of Australia, although it's accurate for some of Australia some of the time. In Melbourne we CAN have beautiful weather, but it's very changeable and can be quite cold in winter. Most Australians live in suburbs and not that close to the beach. Not sure about all the handsome men in swimwear running around- I think that's more of a Sydney and Brisbane thing! :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 11:20 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes. English soaps are always miserable but Australian ones tend to be sunny, warm, and people care about each other.
Are people in England really friendly to their neighbors? Honest question, I've never been there.

KitLily wrote:
The opposite of real life!
Oooh boy. There's this reputation that Australians are easy going, classless and egalitarian. In my experience Australians are a little bit tense and prone to outbursts of classism.

Well. English people USED to be friendly to our neighbours but since Brexit, there has been a lot of nastiness and division. Them and Us sort of thing.

I have realised due to discussions with Australians online, that the Australians who travel the world i.e. get out of Australia, are the easy going, egalitarian ones. The ones who stay in Australia are the opposite- quite conservative and prim and proper.

Young Australian fans of Neighbours and Home & Away tell me that their parents won't let them watch the shows because they show unmarried couples, gay people and anti Christian values.

That was a shock to me!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 11:23 am

jennyishere wrote:
`
The soaps definitely present an idealised version of Australia, although it's accurate for some of Australia some of the time. In Melbourne we CAN have beautiful weather, but it's very changeable and can be quite cold in winter. Most Australians live in suburbs and not that close to the beach. Not sure about all the handsome men in swimwear running around- I think that's more of a Sydney and Brisbane thing! :)

Yes, we just like to imagine that Australia is warm, sunny and everyone's lives are centred round the beach and everyone wears bathing suits all the time. :lol:

How cold is cold for you?

I think non Brits probably think the whole of our country is like Eastenders or Coronation Street.

For a better view of English people, watch Detectorists. Now THAT is more like real England.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 12:26 pm

When I was in Melbourne, any Australians I told that I was going to visit Ramsay Street seemed embarrassed - either for their country or for me, not sure which! I thought they should be proud of their main cultural export but it seems it's not that popular in Australia. Or at least not respected.

I have a weird, Neighbours-related story. A couple of years back I went to an open day at a forest school that my daughter went to when she was smaller. It's in rural England, middle of nowhere. Me and my partner were talking to another couple there who were scoping it out because they were looking for somewhere for their child to go. They were Aussies and I felt like I recognised them but couldn't place them - i'm pretty awful with faces out of context. They said they'd moved here from California. Later my partner told me that they were in Neighbours (she's a massive fan so clocked them immediately but didn't say anything). They were Natalie Blair (who played a character called Carmella) and her partner whose name I can't remember but he was in Neighbours for a while also, in a smaller role. I've since seen him in other films/TV shows. I've seen them a couple of other times around since but not lately so I don't know if they still live around here or not.