I don’t know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don’t care 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 12:38 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think many people would select "both" because "pro-life" is mostly a rhetorical trick by the anti-abortion crowd. Pro-choice isn't "anti-life" or "mandatory abortions". It's "abortions for some, tiny American flags for others".

Twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

But anyhoo, I am pro-abortion legality.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:57 am

bump

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 8:29 am

final bump

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:18 am

Abortion is a very sticky subject.

I'm pro-choice----but I'm not really "pro-abortion."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Abortion is a very sticky subject.

I'm pro-choice----but I'm not really "pro-abortion."

What do you mean?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:42 am

Abortion is sad—but sometimes it’s the only rational choice in a situation.

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2022, 5:15 pm

I'm pro-life, to a point, due to a religious upbringing and being against eugenics. I don't believe I should ever have an abortion if I ever choose to get pregnant, but I'm not sure how rock-solid that belief would be if I were in a situation where my life were in danger, especially if the baby were likely not to survive anyway, that's why I'm in favor of both. Women should be able to get abortions if their health is in danger or if the baby is likely not to survive or if the doctor determines it to be medically necessary for any other purpose.

I'll go even further and claim that Catholic and other Christian-run medical care centers should not handle pregnancies at all, as they are one of the rare situations where working to save the life of the patient is not the main focus. I acknowledge that this is not their fault; they were taught that it is wrong to take the life of another in any circumstances, and they have the right to adhere to those beliefs, but those opinions should not be forced on others who may die without proper care.

Republicans, the GOP, or whatever they're called, always advertise themselves as the "lesser-of-the-evils" to get many socially conservative Christians to vote for them. They never claimed to adequately represent their views, just that they're supposedly better than the other party because they're from religious backgrounds themselves, so I don't fault social conservatives for not being able to see their vision of what they want for the country realized. I would hope that if they ever obtained full control that they would use common sense and do what was best for the people. So far, though, that hasn't happened. The social conservatives aren't in control, even if the Republicans are.

Unfortunately, I don't see this changing any time soon. Religious people tend to vote with their hearts, not their heads, and although I don't want to sanction murder, I also don't want to be in a country where people don't get proper medical care because the people caring for them have beliefs that limit what sort of care they're able to give. I think balance can be achieved, though, but not with the current system we have right now, which seems to favor extremes.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 9:30 pm

kmb501 wrote:
I'm pro-life, to a point, due to a religious upbringing and being against eugenics. I don't believe I should ever have an abortion if I ever choose to get pregnant, but I'm not sure how rock-solid that belief would be if I were in a situation where my life were in danger, especially if the baby were likely not to survive anyway, that's why I'm in favor of both. Women should be able to get abortions if their health is in danger or if the baby is likely not to survive or if the doctor determines it to be medically necessary for any other purpose.

I'll go even further and claim that Catholic and other Christian-run medical care centers should not handle pregnancies at all, as they are one of the rare situations where working to save the life of the patient is not the main focus. I acknowledge that this is not their fault; they were taught that it is wrong to take the life of another in any circumstances, and they have the right to adhere to those beliefs, but those opinions should not be forced on others who may die without proper care.

Republicans, the GOP, or whatever they're called, always advertise themselves as the "lesser-of-the-evils" to get many socially conservative Christians to vote for them. They never claimed to adequately represent their views, just that they're supposedly better than the other party because they're from religious backgrounds themselves, so I don't fault social conservatives for not being able to see their vision of what they want for the country realized. I would hope that if they ever obtained full control that they would use common sense and do what was best for the people. So far, though, that hasn't happened. The social conservatives aren't in control, even if the Republicans are.

Unfortunately, I don't see this changing any time soon. Religious people tend to vote with their hearts, not their heads, and although I don't want to sanction murder, I also don't want to be in a country where people don't get proper medical care because the people caring for them have beliefs that limit what sort of care they're able to give. I think balance can be achieved, though, but not with the current system we have right now, which seems to favor extremes.

To me, it's simply about not having more unjust theocratic laws, and not having the cops and religious extremists watching peoples' every move.

The hard right wants to control peoples' sexuality--and it won't stop at abortion if we don't codify these things.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 9:56 pm

I am definitely pro-Life.

With other issues I see both right and left point of view. But this is The one issue where I don't see the other side: I don't like to kill the defenseless, period.

I became Christian at 22 and was atheist prior to then. I was pro-Life back as an atheist just as much as I am now as a Christian. I don't see it as political or religious issue. It is as simple as not wanting to kill. Since leftist atheists don't want to kill either, I don't see why can't they be pro-life. I guess its a herd mentality or something.`

The opposite example is a climate and covid. I don't see why republicans don't want to notice global warming or covid. So I guess both sides are blind. Democrats don't want to see they are murdering babies, republicans don't want to see there is global warming and covid. None of those things are political from the point of view of simple logic. Yet they end up being such. So there is herd mentality on both sides.