Both (abortion should only be allowed in specific situations) 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
I don’t know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don’t care 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:05 pm

Disclaimer: I know that we don’t all like or agree on these terms. I’m using them for the sake of brevity/ease.

I wanted to see how members stacked up without turning this into another debate on the topic, which are, IMO, extraordinarily unproductive in terms of changing people’s opinions. (They are good in other ways, though, obviously.) People are free to comment or express their opinion!

(I hope I didn’t somehow miss a recent poll.)

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 20 Jul 2022, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:22 pm

I wish it was possible to lock out comments while leaving polls accessible.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
I wish it was possible to lock out comments while leaving polls accessible.

I was just thinking that. The main reason why I want people to comment is so it gets continually bumped.

I’ll bump it periodically if necessary.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm

You're missing an option. Pro-life and pro-choice. One can be both.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

I added it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I added it.
Editing a poll resets the results.  Now voting has to start over.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I added it.
Editing a poll resets the results.  Now voting has to start over.

Shoot!

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 2:50 pm

If someone gets pregnant then that's their business--not mine--not yours.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 3:13 pm

I just love how so many pro life people care so much about the baby until after it's born. After that they couldn't care less if the baby is abused, starved, born addicted to street drugs or thrown into a dumpster.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:16 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I just love how so many pro life people care so much about the baby until after it's born. After that they couldn't care less if the baby is abused, starved, born addicted to street drugs or thrown into a dumpster.

The system is certainly broken as it is. We aren’t sufficiently caring for the children that are here, so bringing more children (many with significant problems that would require a lot of resources) would just compound the situation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:24 pm

Pro-Choice.
I think I've written enough about the reasons why.

imo both sides could be called pro-choice because they both want their specific choice:

-Pro-Life is adamant about having their choice (e.g., life).
-Pro-Choice is adamant about having their their choice (e.g., having a choice -- whether yes or no).

But, I know you don't want to get into semantics.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Pro-Choice.

imo both sides could be called pro-choice because they both want their specific choice:

-Pro-Choice is adamant about having their their choice (e.g., having a choice -- whether yes or no).

Right, this poll is just an attempt at seeing what the demographics are on PPR using words that most people will understand.

With that being said, people in specific, although by no means uncommon, communities of pro-lifers could feel like they don’t have a choice. Those that are unhappy about their pregnancy, for whatever reason, but don’t feel like they can make that choice AND keep God’s favor due to their indoctrination from childhood. Of course, that would be true whether abortion was legal or not.

Probably staunch pro-lifers are raising their kids to believe that there’s only one choice (mostly due to religious beliefs), so I’m a bit hesitant to say they’re pro-choice (of their choice) when that’s often not quite the case.

I'm envisioning a pro-lifer who wants an abortion but has been led to believe that the fiery flames of Hell will engulf her if she gets one. She's between a rock and a hard place and has no choice.

It's still very Puritan here in some parts.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:02 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Pro-Choice.

Right, this poll is just an attempt at seeing what the demographics are on PPR using words that most people will understand.

With that being said, people in specific, although by no means uncommon, communities of pro-lifers could feel like they don’t have a choice. Those that are unhappy about their pregnancy, for whatever reason, but don’t feel like they can make that choice AND keep God’s favor due to their indoctrination from childhood. Of course, that would be true whether abortion was legal or not.

Probably staunch pro-lifers are raising their kids to believe that there’s only one choice (mostly due to religious beliefs), so I’m a bit hesitant to say they’re pro-choice (of their choice) when that’s often not quite the case.

I'm envisioning a pro-lifer who wants an abortion but has been led to believe that the fiery flames of Hell will engulf her if she gets one. She's between a rock and a hard place and has no choice.

It's still very Puritan here in some parts.

Exactly.

I was trying to point out the irony but I didn't want to get into it all again.

If everyone could just have their personal, independent CHOICE (yes or no) and stop minding other people's business or controlling others via fear-mongering, shame, and attempted coercion, the world would be a more peaceful place.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Exactly.

I was trying to point out the irony but I didn't want to get into it all again.

If everyone could just have their personal, independent CHOICE (yes or no) and stop minding other people's business or controlling others via fear-mongering, shame, and attempted coercion, the world would be a more peaceful place.

That's true although some people think that it's their moral obligation as Christians to push their apparent opinion on others. Many view it as part of their ministry. It's possible that some aren't invested in it but feel compelled to do it anyway. I can so relate to that.

In my opinion, all of this is very interesting from the perspective of free will or the illusion of it in some cases.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:12 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

That's true although some people think that it's their moral obligation as Christians to push their apparent opinion on others. Many view it as part of their ministry. It's possible that some aren't invested in it but feel compelled to do it anyway.

Good thing the US Bill of Rights guarantees all citizens freedom of religion, as a fundamental right.
That includes the freedom and right to not be religious, or to have other views.

The Bill of Rights doesn't guarantee freedom of psychological abuse.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

That's true although some people think that it's their moral obligation as Christians to push their apparent opinion on others. Many view it as part of their ministry. It's possible that some aren't invested in it but feel compelled to do it anyway.

Good thing the US Bill of Rights guarantees all citizens freedom of religion, as a fundamental right.
They don't guarantee freedom of psychological abuse.

It's very nice and convenient for certain demographics - an ideal combo.