Both (abortion should only be allowed in specific situations) 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
I don’t know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don’t care 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:39 pm

I suppose one could say I'm a practical pro-life. I'm not in support of abortions, but I'm against banning them. Instead, I believe in providing funding for as many services that offer support and options for women who need them, and just being supportive in general, because there is generally nuance to why women would seek abortions, and it's almost never simply a case of them being bad people, which pro-life people like to portray them as.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:55 pm

i believe that if an anti-abortionist was truly pro-life, they'd be all in favor of society helping to support the babies once they were born, but obviously [judging from the opinions of the GOP which is their de facto party] that is not the case. that tells me they have ulterior motives.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:01 pm

I'm fully pro-choice. There's many reasons why an abortion might be the best idea for the mother and/or the baby, and as long as it's done reasonably and safely I don't think anyone should have their ability to choose to have an abortion removed.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:10 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm fully pro-choice. There's many reasons why an abortion might be the best idea for the mother and/or the baby, and as long as it's done reasonably and safely I don't think anyone should have their ability to choose to have an abortion removed.

I can't picture allowing full-term abortions, but I have no idea where to draw the line.

I'm not sure how that is ethically decided, but I don't believe in restricting to an extremely narrow window or predetermining a list of allowable reasons for others. I suppose viability is at 20 weeks but should a woman have to give birth early (e.g., induction), and let the baby suffer in NICU? And, who would pay for that care?

It's very complicated but under no circumstance do I think anyone owns my body but myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:32 pm

the framework of Roe was reasonably decided. Dobbs most assuredly was not.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I can't picture allowing full-term abortions, but I have no idea where to draw the line.

I'm not sure how that is ethically decided, but I don't believe in restricting to an extremely narrow window or predetermining a list of allowable reasons for others. I suppose viability is at 20 weeks but should a woman have to give birth early (e.g., induction), and let the baby suffer in NICU? And, who would pay for that care?

It's very complicated but under no circumstance do I think anyone owns my body but myself.

I don't agree with later term abortions, at least as long as the baby should be viable outside of the womb (if it was a healthy baby). I always think about abortions in regards to what would be ideal in unhealthy pregnancies though and I think abortion should be allowed up to a reasonable point of development. I can't imagine someone being forced to put a baby or fetus through illness and pain as it develops just to eventually die or continue to suffer outside of the womb, or someone having to risk dying + the baby then dying (which isn't instantaneous and would be horrible for it).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:52 pm

I feel like I always have weird stories to share but here I go again.

I think I've told this one before anyway.

My maternal grandmother developed very serious complications when giving birth to her last child. She was in a Catholic hospital and the doctors told my grandfather they would have to let her die so that the baby could live. My granddad was reportedly sobbing and begging them to save my grandmother because they had other children at home who needed their mother, and he couldn't live without her himself. They told him that the baby's life was more important because it was innocent whereas my grandmother had most assuredly sinned in her life, and they wouldn't be able to save both.

Long story short but my grandmother did actually die shortly after my auntie was delivered. She came back to life (I know, weird ...), but if she hadn't had the miracle the hospital would have allowed her to die on the table.

Stuff like that terrifies me. I know today they would likely have the medical technology to save both or put them on life support, but I can't imagine valuing the baby's life over that of the mother.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:55 pm

that is HORRIBLE. makes me angry. :x

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know today they would likely have the medical technology to save both or put them on life support, but I can't imagine valuing the baby's life over that of the mother.

It is awful.

I know lots of people who are against aborting even ectopic pregnancies.

That stance is so dangerous.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:44 am

It is, at the very least, virtually impossible for both the baby and the mother to survive an ectopic pregnancy. How can a full-term baby survive in a Fallopian Tube, which is where virtually all ectopic fertilizations occur.

If that's not a "medical reason" for terminating a pregnancy, I don't know what is one.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is, at the very least, virtually impossible for both the baby and the mother to survive an ectopic pregnancy. How can a full-term baby survive in a Fallopian Tube, which is where virtually all ectopic fertilizations occur.

If that's not a "medical reason" for terminating a pregnancy, I don't know what is one.

They both have to die because the mother would be a “murderer.”

Then they focus on some made of story or perhaps one from the 40’s (who knows) about a time when a doctor was wrong about an ectopic pregnancy or something even vaguer than that to cover more bases.

People with extreme beliefs really love these anecdotal stories. It’s basically their version of rock-solid evidence.

This is why we need to spend more time in our schools teaching critical thinking and how to determine what good evidence is and isn’t.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 3:20 pm

I’m surprised by the results so far.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 5:43 pm

cruelty is the point of what they are doing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:47 pm

I'm Pro-life. I believe that life is a gift from God that should be enjoyed by all and that everybody should have a birthday. I feel that it should be up to God who's born into the world and who isn't.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Considering the risk to the mother, I feel the doctor's discretion forms a good boundary because there comes a point where they'll only be performed due to the pregnancy becoming a serious medical risk, not because a termination is desired.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:45 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I feel like I always have weird stories to share but here I go again.

I think I've told this one before anyway.

My maternal grandmother developed very serious complications when giving birth to her last child. She was in a Catholic hospital and the doctors told my grandfather they would have to let her die so that the baby could live. My granddad was reportedly sobbing and begging them to save my grandmother because they had other children at home who needed their mother, and he couldn't live without her himself. They told him that the baby's life was more important because it was innocent whereas my grandmother had most assuredly sinned in her life, and they wouldn't be able to save both.

Long story short but my grandmother did actually die shortly after my auntie was delivered. She came back to life (I know, weird ...), but if she hadn't had the miracle the hospital would have allowed her to die on the table.

Stuff like that terrifies me. I know today they would likely have the medical technology to save both or put them on life support, but I can't imagine valuing the baby's life over that of the mother.

Thanks for sharing this story. This mentality makes me angry, that a womans life is valued so little. What age do we live in? We are more than just the children we bear.