Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 20 Jul 2022
Gender: Female
Posts: 49

20 Jul 2022, 7:55 pm

Hello.

I wonder if any of you here had a precedent in your childhood that you were behind in learning with your peers, and if you think that some problems still appear after many years if you don't "train" them regularly.

I list a few as examples:

-Not being able to do simple math.

-Not being able to correctly measure nearby or distant streets to get to a location.

-Not being able to figure out how to fit pieces together to assemble an object.

-Having to say part of a sentence out loud to hear if the grammatical order is correct (Especially when you study something that you have to present in front of people).

-Mispronouncing some words (not always).

-Problems organizing ideas and taking a while to answer, or having to practice many times before answering (perhaps some repetitive behavior fits here too).

-Problems with joint attention.

-Showing a bit of emotional immaturity compared to people your own age (this is related to challenge solving for social learning consequences or bad decisions).

-Tardiness with using your study method to complete some assignments.

-Often distraction in your thoughts while you are concentrating.

-Disorganized vocabulary.

-As a last, contradictorily... learning fast you are corrected (Mathematics, synthesis of concepts, languages, etc).
 
I would also like to know what kind of neurodevelopmental profile of a person you think fits the above examples.

Thanks for your feedback.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 51,127

20 Jul 2022, 9:15 pm

Hi Najash (very cool name), and welcome to WP.

Do you have any social issues as well?

My first thought was Fragile X Syndrome, but that's because I've been reading a lot about it lately.

https://fragilex.org/fxs/uniqueness-fem ... -syndrome/

I didn't take the time to match up all of your characteristics with the article, but it sounds kind of close.

Beyond that it's common for people with ASD to have impairments in spatial awareness, dyscalculia, and issues with auditory processing or expressive language. Most of us have trouble with synthesis or gestalt thinking.

You could also have a learning disability with language or even a problem with hearing.
Maybe you are gifted (learning quickly) and you have ADHD?

I'm not a doctor and of course I can't diagnose anything but that was an interesting list.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 9,217

20 Jul 2022, 10:52 pm

I have issues with all of these things. I've gotten better with them as an adult, but I still struggle. Especially the first 3, and taking a long time to process things. I have dyscalculia and motor skill problems, on top of having ADHD and ASD.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,826
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Jul 2022, 11:33 pm

those i was well-acquainted with from an early age.



Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 20 Jul 2022
Gender: Female
Posts: 49

21 Jul 2022, 12:13 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have issues with all of these things. I've gotten better with them as an adult, but I still struggle. Especially the first 3, and taking a long time to process things. I have dyscalculia and motor skill problems, on top of having ADHD and ASD.


Have you been put through any genetic testing? Just out of curiosity.



Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 20 Jul 2022
Gender: Female
Posts: 49

21 Jul 2022, 12:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hi Najash (very cool name), and welcome to WP.

Do you have any social issues as well?

My first thought was Fragile X Syndrome, but that's because I've been reading a lot about it lately.

https://fragilex.org/fxs/uniqueness-fem ... -syndrome/

I didn't take the time to match up all of your characteristics with the article, but it sounds kind of close.

Beyond that it's common for people with ASD to have impairments in spatial awareness, dyscalculia, and issues with auditory processing or expressive language. Most of us have trouble with synthesis or gestalt thinking.

You could also have a learning disability with language or even a problem with hearing.
Maybe you are gifted (learning quickly) and you have ADHD?

I'm not a doctor and of course I can't diagnose anything but that was an interesting list.


I figured out the quote problem.

Regarding to the social issues, I can read people. Patterns is what I see in their expressions and body language. It is not hard to guess what they are thinking but I suppose this can be accomplished by anyone who pays attention to what they see and hear, in general I think people are predictable, also socially inappropriate and sometimes hostility in my reactions, this may be related to the emotional maturity I mentioned. Likewise, I have not met many Aspergers with this same profile, only one who was diagnosed with PDD NOS as a child. She was a school failure like me (and she was also good at reading people), but in adolescence she started to excel with her grades. In my case I was never interested in school to put effort into getting good grades, so I was very mediocre and lazy. I am more self-taught perhaps, and when I get bored I move on to another subject.


Regarding the X fragile thing, that's interesting. I'm going to check out that article.

And could be, I might have ADHD, I'm not sure to be honest.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 9,217

21 Jul 2022, 3:19 pm

Najash wrote:
Have you been put through any genetic testing? Just out of curiosity.

I haven't, but I would like to get genetic testing done eventually. I'm sure that some of my issues are due to genetics and I want to know what genes are causing them.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 51,127

22 Jul 2022, 12:29 pm

I was referred to a geneticist because I have lots of conditions that tend to cluster with ASD.
Genetic info would help with my other conditions.

The main one that seems possible so far is MTHFR but we'll see what the geneticist orders.