Outrage as ‘China propaganda’ star handed ESPYS honour

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 4:42 am

Eileen Gu has sparked another social media storm after winning an award at the annual ESPYS event.
The 18-year-old sensation emerged from the 2022 Winter Olympics as the biggest star of the Beijing Games after winning three medals for the host country.

Her two gold medals and silver medal were tainted by suggestions she had betrayed the United States by switching her allegiance to China before the Games.

Branded a traitor by some sections of the American media, Gu’s appearance at the 2022 ESPYS at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles was too much for some to take.

American podcaster Derek Hunter took to social media to describe Gu’s win as: “The Best communist sell-out to a genocidal regime for a pile of money goes to...Eileen Gu!”

Republican commentator Matt Whitlock wrote on Twitter: “Nice work @ESPYS. Great propaganda win for the guys running slave labor camps”.

Conservative news agency The Daily Caller wrote on Twitter: “Maybe we should give an award like that to American athletes who don’t support China
Philadelphia media commentator Greg Price posted: “ESPN gave the ESPY for “Breakthrough Athlete of the Year” to Eileen Gu, the skier who grew up in San Francisco, is a current student at Stanford, but renounced her U.S. citizenship to complete for China at the Olympics last year.”

It is the same public condemnation Gu endured during he Olympics where she was reduced to tears following her victory in the inaugural women’s freeski Big Air.

She showed plenty of emotion on Thursday, but never looked like crying as she gave her acceptance speech on stage

Gu thanked “all the women” who had gone before her and finished her speech in Cantonese saying: “In the end I want to thank all the people who support me”.

Gu’s popularity in China has exploded since the Olympics, picking up more than an extra million followers on Instagram.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/ ... f735fe35aa

See...I do agree with republicans sometimes



SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

21 Jul 2022, 4:54 am

She was widely ridiculed in China. We have many memes that use her ugly image.
CCP has been quite clumsy in propaganda.

However, this does not mean that the expression "genocidal regime" is correct.
(I think I had used the western media itself to prove how unreliable this argument is? :scratch:
Note that "genocide" is a serious allegation that can lead NATO to start targeting civilians in that country, on the record.
And Fox News openly agrees that the U.S. military should aim to be able to massacre the Chinese.)
I agree with the expression "slave labor camps", although I not mean the same as what they mean.

Quote:
Gu’s popularity in China has exploded since the Olympics, picking up more than an extra million followers on Instagram.

Why is the popularity growth on Ins linked to "popularity in China"? :scratch:
Ins has not been legalized in Chinese Mainland. Ordinary Chinese don't use it at all.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 21 Jul 2022, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,488
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

21 Jul 2022, 5:14 am

I am gratified that ESPN stayed away from politics in this situation, in contrast to, for instance, the Academy Awards. This is one reason people follow sports. Gu is a great athlete even if she's a silly girl.


_________________
My WP story


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 5:55 am

MaxE wrote:
I Gu is a great athlete even if she's a silly girl.


It's not her athletics, it's her decision to publicly support a tyranical regime in order to get followers and social media and lucrative endorsements from Chinese companies. I agree 100% with what these republicans are saying.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 5:57 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
And Fox News openly agrees that the U.S. military should aim to be able to massacre the Chinese.)
I agree with the expression "slave labor camps", although I not mean the same as what they mean.


Nobody will do anything, Fox news will continue to condemn China, China will continue to run slave labour camps, And Eileen Gu will cash in her "blood diamonds"



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,488
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

21 Jul 2022, 6:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I Gu is a great athlete even if she's a silly girl.


It's not her athletics, it's her decision to publicly support a tyranical regime in order to get followers and social media and lucrative endorsements from Chinese companies. I agree 100% with what these republicans are saying.

Dude the ESPYs are ABOUT athletics not international politics, in fact US athletes, with probably minimal grasp of the nuances of diplomacy, have loudly expressed support for the US government, probably including the invasion of Iraq, in international venues, for decades, and nobody GAF. This sort of thing may be less apparent to people outside the US though.


_________________
My WP story


SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

21 Jul 2022, 6:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
And Fox News openly agrees that the U.S. military should aim to be able to massacre the Chinese.)
I agree with the expression "slave labor camps", although I not mean the same as what they mean.


Nobody will do anything, Fox news will continue to condemn China, China will continue to run slave labour camps, And Eileen Gu will cash in her "blood diamonds"

The Chinese regime will continue to not interfere with the deterioration of the working environment, just like most third world countries with labor-intensive industries in an exploited position in international.

Somehow, this should be condemned, with pick the part they need, by the exploiters. So that the massacre of its people should be a goal. So that requires external instruction.

Somehow, hate speech and racism are condemned, but those against Chinese are not.

Somehow, the will of the people of a country that confines autocracy within it (meaning that most of its influence is directed at its people) is irrelevant. That requires external interference, in a way that the people refuse.

Somehow, authoritarianism at home requires more foreign intervention than it does internationally.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 4:35 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I Gu is a great athlete even if she's a silly girl.


It's not her athletics, it's her decision to publicly support a tyranical regime in order to get followers and social media and lucrative endorsements from Chinese companies. I agree 100% with what these republicans are saying.

Dude the ESPYs are ABOUT athletics not international politics, in fact US athletes, with probably minimal grasp of the nuances of diplomacy, have loudly expressed support for the US government, probably including the invasion of Iraq, in international venues, for decades, and nobody GAF. This sort of thing may be less apparent to people outside the US though.


Point taken but I wouldn't compare the US to China.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 4:40 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Somehow, hate speech and racism are condemned, but those against Chinese are not.
.


In Australia we have public debates or Q&A aired on the government station which is broadcasted on TV. Whenever there are issues about the Chinese government conduct there are strangely always members of the audience (of Chinese origin?) who strangely defend the CCP. I am to understand they are foreign operatives placed among the expatriate population.

However, public debate should be about the government of China (specifically the CCP and it's apparatchiks) and it's policy/actions rather than individual Chinese people. However the actions of individuals like Eileen Gu are quite transparently pro-CCP in order to benefit herself financially so criticising her decisions is not hate speech.



SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

21 Jul 2022, 4:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Somehow, hate speech and racism are condemned, but those against Chinese are not..


In Australia we have public debates or Q&A aired on the government station which is broadcasted on TV. Whenever there are issues about the Chinese government conduct there are strangely always members of the audience (of Chinese origin?) who strangely defend the CCP. I am to understand they are foreign operatives placed among the expatriate population.

First, I don't deny the existence of simply accusing the Communist Party of China without opposing the Chinese people, but it may not be as much as you think.

I didn't say that the criticism of Gu is related to hate speech.
The Fox News I talked about mentioned that the U.S. military should be able to "sit on the Throne made of Chinese skulls". Somehow, this doesn't seem to have caused criticism from the media that often criticize Fox News. Same for those who are quite fierce opponents of racism and genocide.

In addition, accusing Chinese people of consuming too much meat seems to be quite popular in the West (I read that you are involved in accusing China of not environmental protection), so that there are quite a number of U.S. - invested non-governmental organizations in China to arrange propaganda asking Chinese people not to eat meat. Compared with Australians, the meat consumption of Chinese people is insignificant. I don't see any connection between the nutritional demand of Chinese people for meat and "CCP".

Another quite common phenomenon is that many propaganda is vicious against the Chinese people, as you have mentioned and I have exposed the "Star Wars poster shows Chinese discrimination against blacks". And more commonly, reports that intercept extreme statements from social media that are considered non intellectuals in China and claim that this is the general idea of the Chinese people.

And, sanctions on Xinjiang products will make local people lose their income, and poverty could be the motivation for more people to choose terrorism.


Second, another sinister dehumanization is to call individuals who expose false propaganda form the western media "the propaganda machine of the Communist Party of China". (I didn't say that every accusation was false)

I remember that I received the same treatment from you, although I had publicly stated that I am anti establishment.

And I met more Chinese who suffered from this dehumanization on another English platform. As long as they start to tell the facts around us that are not in line with the propaganda of Western media, some people who seem to be organized begin to claim that this Chinese is a hired propagandist or to obtain "social credit points" after their speech.
Although I have recognized several people who have suffered such accusations as anti establishment activists I know on the platform of political debate in China.

I don't doubt that many of the people you mentioned are ethnic Chinese (not necessarily from Chinese Mainland), because many clumsy lies will be solved as long as they can read Chinese or talk to Chinese citizens.


"Opposition to the regime rather than the people" is a common camouflage of atrocities.
In World War II, Japan used it;
In the war between Russia and Ukraine, Russia used it;
And the West has a lot of records of using it (ask about the 500000 Iraqi children who starved to death in the sanctions of "helping overthrow the dictator"?), and, is using it.


I can accept that some regimes/organizations can intend to harm the Chinese people from any angle, which is not rare or can be prevented, but when it begins to try to convince people that this is actually for the well-being of the Chinese people, I will think it is heinous.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

21 Jul 2022, 6:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Point taken but I wouldn't compare the US to China.


No, the US is far more meddling, interventionist and imperialistic. :nerdy:


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 7:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Point taken but I wouldn't compare the US to China.


No, the US is far more meddling, interventionist and imperialistic. :nerdy:


They certainly have been in the past.



SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

21 Jul 2022, 8:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Point taken but I wouldn't compare the US to China.

No, the US is far more meddling, interventionist and imperialistic. :nerdy:

They certainly have been in the past.

Serious? So far, we have public opinion guidance from American investment and practical support for the separatist forces in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
The last intervention in Iraq was in 2014 and in Syria in 2016.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 8:06 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
I didn't say that the criticism of Gu is related to hate speech.
The Fox News I talked about mentioned that the U.S. military should be able to "sit on the Throne made of Chinese skulls". Somehow, this doesn't seem to have caused criticism from the media that often criticize Fox News. Same for those who are quite fierce opponents of racism and genocide..


Fox news appeals primarily to republican voters (am I allowed to say this? because its true). Some of the rhetoric used by news casters are exaggerated and "hawkish" but should not be taken seriously.

I want to focus on Gu because that's what this thread is about. She has been sponsored and funded by the US government Sports. She was supposed to represent the US. Instead after taking advantage of the better sports facilities/training given to her she switched her allegiance. Her overtures to China since her switch smack of ingratiating her position with the CCP particularly with her giving speeches in Mandarin.

There is some curious similarity with her and English women's tennis champion Emma Radacanu who also gives speeches in Mandarin despite growing up in the UK and representing UK. There is nothing wrong in having pride in your culture but I am suspicious what motivates both young ladies. In Gu's case she is much more transparent in her overtures to her new masters.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,969

21 Jul 2022, 8:08 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Point taken but I wouldn't compare the US to China.

No, the US is far more meddling, interventionist and imperialistic. :nerdy:

They certainly have been in the past.

Serious? So far, we have public opinion guidance from American investment and practical support for the separatist forces in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
The last intervention in Iraq was in 2014 and in Syria in 2016.


The US does not have concentration camps and have not invaded whole countries the size of Tibet.



SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,538
Location: China

21 Jul 2022, 8:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
I didn't say that the criticism of Gu is related to hate speech.
The Fox News I talked about mentioned that the U.S. military should be able to "sit on the Throne made of Chinese skulls". Somehow, this doesn't seem to have caused criticism from the media that often criticize Fox News. Same for those who are quite fierce opponents of racism and genocide..


Fox news appeals primarily to republican voters (am I allowed to say this? because its true). Some of the rhetoric used by news casters are exaggerated and "hawkish" but should not be taken seriously.

I want to focus on Gu because that's what this thread is about. She has been sponsored and funded by the US government Sports. She was supposed to represent the US. Instead after taking advantage of the better sports facilities/training given to her she switched her allegiance. Her overtures to China since her switch smack of ingratiating her position with the CCP particularly with her giving speeches in Mandarin.

There is some curious similarity with her and English women's tennis champion Emma Radacanu who also gives speeches in Mandarin despite growing up in the UK and representing UK. There is nothing wrong in having pride in your culture but I am suspicious what motivates both young ladies. In Gu's case she is much more transparent in her overtures to her new masters.

I am not proud of culture. We are ashamed of Gu.
However, this does not mean that your reason for criticizing her is tenable.

I know Fox News will spit out anything, however, the "left-wing" media will criticize the denial of women's military service in the same paragraph, but acquiesced in advocating the massacre of Chinese people.
I don't observe whether fox news can really say anything responsibly. What I observe is the reaction of Western society to what they say.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 21 Jul 2022, 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.