Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:36 am

This might sound like a silly question to some people but I ask it in all sincerity and also because a lot of people who come here seem to know an awful lot on the subject and about the way the diagnostic criteria has altered.

Is aspergers syndrome still on the autism spectrum?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:39 am

Yeah.

It just got merged into ASD with the rest simply because there's no functional difference between it and high-functioning autism.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:42 am

OK thank you.

It's just so confusing sometimes. I was thinking it had been abolished altogether.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jul 2022, 10:44 am

I think Dill nailed it already. It's not incorrect to differentiate between Aspergers and HFA or to tell people you have Aspergers but in some countries at least, the diagnosis is now combined with HFA.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:47 am

So if you have a diagnosis of aspergers syndrome could it be possible to get reassessed to see if you still meet the criteria of HFA?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:06 am

If you were already diagnosed with Asperger's, you're automatically folded into ASD going by the DSM-V.

Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:09 am

That's good to know. Thank you for your help Dillogic and Envirozentinel.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:57 am

babybird wrote:
This might sound like a silly question to some people but I ask it in all sincerity and also because a lot of people who come here seem to know an awful lot on the subject and about the way the diagnostic criteria has altered.

The diagnosis was removed from the DSM with the fifth edition in 2013. They might still use the diagnosis in other countries but no longer in the US. If you were diagnosed in the US with Asperger's prior to the removal of the diagnosis in the DSM, so prior to 2013, your Asperger's diagnosis is still considered valid and will just be redefined as to the new terminology. But anyone diagnosed after that in the US, will have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder with a number, either 1, 2, or 3, which determines that level of support needs.

Wreck It Ralph

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

skibum wrote:
babybird wrote:

The diagnosis was removed from the DSM with the fifth edition in 2013. They might still use the diagnosis in other countries but no longer in the US. If you were diagnosed in the US with Asperger's prior to the removal of the diagnosis in the DSM, so prior to 2013, your Asperger's diagnosis is still considered valid. But anyone diagnosed after that in the US, will have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder with a number, either 1, 2, or 3, which determines that level of support needs.

Ah right, thank you for that Skibum. I'm in UK. I must look into this further.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 12:19 pm

I wish. Then I wouldn't be on the spectrum any more. But because so many Aspies had to make noise like "everyone on the spectrum are sooooo different from each other that we all deserve the same label!" So thanks for that everyone. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 3:37 pm

The ICD-10 still has Asperger's. The ICD-11 doesn't have Aspergers.