Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:13 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
He’s sharper than he seems to be.

He has a well-known speech condition which might affect how he articulates words consummately (he slurs his words slightly). It might give the impression that he is affected in a cognitive way.

I don’t have reduced cognition. My autism manifests in more a social than a cognitive sense.

The “Uncle Joe” thing, and allegations of cognitive decline, tend to be alluded to by conservative Republicans—especially those who like Trump.

It seems to me there are those who refuse to acknowledge that a 79 year old man, who's had brain surgeries, could easily have declining cognition, because that would put them in agreement with those who don't hold their political views.

No one is saying that he couldn’t. The problem is giving armchair diagnoses when one isn’t a doctor and going with the assumption that he has dementia without adequate testing and background knowledge. It’s not logical.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Aug 2022, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:14 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
No, but like my aunt who developed dementia, you can see the signs of it happening and be concerned about it. In other words, we were able to determine that she was losing her cognition before she was officially diagnosed.

Personal experience (anecdotal evidence) does not make one an expert on the subject or are they giving out honorary PhDs for that now? :roll:

You're confusing diagnosis with pointing out signs and symptoms. Anyone who's familiar with the signs and symptoms can point them out. A PhD isn't required for that. As for a PhD diagnosing Biden, that's not going to happen, because he refuses to be tested.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:18 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
No, but like my aunt who developed dementia, you can see the signs of it happening and be concerned about it. In other words, we were able to determine that she was losing her cognition before she was officially diagnosed.

Personal experience (anecdotal evidence) does not make one an expert on the subject or are they giving out honorary PhDs for that now? :roll:

You're confusing diagnosis with pointing out signs and symptoms. Anyone who's familiar with the signs and symptoms can point them out. A PhD isn't required for that. As for a PhD diagnosing Biden, that's not going to happen, because he refuses to be tested.

I don’t have as much of a problem with this than with people saying that he definitely has dementia. I still find it a bit cringey, though. Supposed symptoms are up to the individual and his or her doctor.

Ageism is a thing, too.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
He’s sharper than he seems to be.

He has a well-known speech condition which might affect how he articulates words consummately (he slurs his words slightly). It might give the impression that he is affected in a cognitive way.

I don’t have reduced cognition. My autism manifests in more a social than a cognitive sense.

The “Uncle Joe” thing, and allegations of cognitive decline, tend to be alluded to by conservative Republicans—especially those who like Trump.

It seems to me there are those who refuse to acknowledge that a 79 year old man, who's had brain surgeries, could easily have declining cognition, because that would put them in agreement with those who don't hold their political views.

No one is saying that he couldn’t. The problem is giving armchair diagnoses when one isn’t a doctor and going with the assumption that he has dementia without adequate testing and background knowledge. It’s not logical.

Once again, it's about recognizing signs and symptoms, rather than making a diagnosis. And as the signs and symptoms continue to display more frequently, the more people are going to point them out. It's like when we could all tell the butter was slipping off Reagan's noodle, before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. And when that diagnosis was revealed, it didn't come as a surprise.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:25 pm

I just don’t think that sniffing out supposed symptoms makes much sense. Once again, it’s illogical, boring, and borderline ageist.

I have not seen anything that concerning, nothing which demonstrates that we need to worry about it or do something right now.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:27 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I just don’t think that sniffing out supposed symptoms makes much sense. Once again, it’s illogical, boring, and borderline ageist.

I have not seen anything that concerning, nothing which demonstrates that we need to worry about it or do something right now.

Well many others do and they're going to be vocal about it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 12:46 am

Say what one will about Biden's state of mind, but it's light years better than Trump's. Whenever a White House aide was fearful of a Trump decision, he'd simply take whichever paperwork from Trump's desk, where it would be out of sight, out of mind for Trump. Also, while Trump had had the chance to kill Zawahiri, he did not simply because Trump couldn't recognize the name.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:17 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t see cognitive problems.

I don’t have cognitive problems, and I’ve been known to speak like Biden just did.

Are you sure of that? Many autistics have cognition issues. I know I do. And there's a lot of jobs I can't perform well or at all because of it.

I'll be more precise: I don't see cognitive issues out of the norm for him (the long running king of gaffes) or that would impair his ability to do his job.

So you think he's sharp as a tack?

I think he's sharper than the average person, and doing quite well for his age. I also think he runs circles around the previous president, who rarely made any sense (albeit attaching enough emotion that people assumed he was saying whatever it was they hoped he was saying).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Say what one will about Biden's state of mind, but it's light years better than Trump's. Whenever a White House aide was fearful of a Trump decision, he'd simply take whichever paperwork from Trump's desk, where it would be out of sight, out of mind for Trump. Also, while Trump had had the chance to kill Zawahiri, he did not simply because Trump couldn't recognize the name.
Is better than Trump going to be where the bar is set from now on?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 3:46 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Is better than Trump going to be where the bar is set from now on?

That's a pretty low bar.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 5:00 am

I read that even Putin prefers Biden to Trump. Apparently because with Trump, Putin had to keep repeating himself and reminding Trump what he'd said and agreed to. Putin couldn't have a sensible conversation with him :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 6:53 am

One would have to watch Biden constantly over the course of a few days in order to determine if he has decreased cognition.

In all sorts of situations,

It’s sort of a cliched Republican talking point—the Uncle Joe thing.

I never said Biden was my hero. But I don’t think he’s demented. And I don’t think he’s a pervert.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

Complicating factors in forming an opinion about possible declining cognition or dementia is Biden has always been a gaffe machine and that he is a stutterer. Stutters will take time to get words out and sometimes mangle them which are dementia traits.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman