Does this mean my kidneys aren't working?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 12:16 pm

Today I had an appointment for a scan at the hospital but my bladder had to be full in order for the procedure to be carried out effectively. So I was told to drink 1 and a half litres of water an hour before the appointment, and not to eat 6 hours before the appointment.

I done exactly what I was told, but about 15 minutes after I drank the water, I suddenly had diarrhea, quite a lot of it, like all watery as if the water I had just drank went straight through to my bowels instead of my bladder. It was quite odourless and I didn't have an upset stomach or anything.

So I arrived to the appointment with only a small amount of urine in my bladder, but luckily there was just about enough for the procedure to take place.

I don't know why drinking so much water made me have diarrhea like that. Is this normal? Does it mean my kidneys aren't working or something? But is this normal?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 4:35 pm

i am not a medical doctor and not even a professional actor playing a doctor.

however, numerous times, i have drunk one and a half liters of water.

sometimes, diarrhea. however, i find it hard to imagine that it's a cause effect relationship.

correlation versus causation

what did you eat?

some foods trigger diarrhea.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 6:49 pm

All I had was some toast but I wasn't allowed to eat 6 hours before the appointment, but toast was the last thing I had. Normally if food gives me diarrhea I get symptoms of an upset stomach, that include cramps or nausea. This was different somehow. It felt like I was literally peeing out my bowels. Something I've never really experienced before. Yes I've had diarrhea before obviously but this was weird.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 7:18 pm

When are you getting the results of the scan?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 4:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When are you getting the results of the scan?

Next week. The scan appointment wasn't anything to do with my kidneys, it was just an alternative to a PAP test because I can't have those like everyone else. But for some reason they wanted my bladder to be full in order to carry out the procedure.

I looked up kidney failure but I don't really have any of the symptoms. I just can't think why drinking gallons of water on an empty stomach will go straight to my bowels. :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:54 am

I don’t sense you have to worry.

Did they take your blood, too?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 7:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t sense you have to worry.

Did they take your blood, too?

I had a blood test a few weeks ago, which came back normal. If I had kidney problems would it have been picked up on the blood test?

I requested the pelvic scan appointment by the way.

I'm still baffled though as to why I basically peed out my butt instead of my pee hole.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 7:53 am

The kidney function tests, when you give blood, are long established. Kidney problems would have been picked up. Most of the kidney stuff comes under what is called BUN.

Are you still urinating like that? Do you still have that degree of diarrhea? If not, I would say this was a weird, isolated event.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

No, it's the first time it has happened, as usually when I drink water it just makes me want to pee. Sometimes water or juice can help me with constipation but there's never any diarrhea involved.