Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 11:05 pm

QFT wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:
But then in the situation when they make a joke that IS funny, that would also be "an obvious attempt at flirting" would it not?

So what you are saying is that successful attempt at flirting is rewarded, but unsuccessful is punished.

Now, if you were to replace flirting with something else that is positive, such as "being helpful", then would you say "successful attempt at being helpful is rewarded while unsuccessful is punished"?

If the latter is true, would that be the reason why nice guys finish last?

Personally I think it is unfair to punish the unsuccessful attempt on something you would have otherwise rewarded. "At least he has tried" should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

If a guy seems to be going out of his way to be weird and is, thus, making me feel uncomfortable, I’m probably not going to be interested.

Unrehearsed, normal, and polite conversation is the way to go.

This isn’t about “rewards” and “punishments.” It’s about forming a connection. Not all people who are in the right age group are going to hit it off. That’s okay.

(I’m not much of a “reward” anyway. :lol: )

Lets look at three scenarios:

Scenario A: The guy is joking and you find those jokes funny

Scenario B: The guy is joking and you don't find those jokes funny

Scenario C: A guy does not joke and has just a regular conversation

You made it clear that in scenario B you reject the guy, in scenario C you like the guy.

What about scenario A? Would you like the guy in that scenario or not?

Based on your latest reply, you wouldn't, since the guy in Scenario A is also "going out of his way to impress you".

However, from what I knew from other sourced, the women would like a guy in Scenario A, because they like funny guys.

Now, if you were to actually like the guy in Scenario A and dislike the one in Scenario B, then its not about being genuine any more. They are both trying to flirt. Rather its about being successful. In other words, its ableist.

It’s much more complex and nuanced than that (and you probably know it), but this is not the place for a (unproductive) conversation about dating.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 1:43 am

QFT wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:
But then in the situation when they make a joke that IS funny, that would also be "an obvious attempt at flirting" would it not?

So what you are saying is that successful attempt at flirting is rewarded, but unsuccessful is punished.

Now, if you were to replace flirting with something else that is positive, such as "being helpful", then would you say "successful attempt at being helpful is rewarded while unsuccessful is punished"?

If the latter is true, would that be the reason why nice guys finish last?

Personally I think it is unfair to punish the unsuccessful attempt on something you would have otherwise rewarded. "At least he has tried" should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

If a guy seems to be going out of his way to be weird and is, thus, making me feel uncomfortable, I’m probably not going to be interested.

Unrehearsed, normal, and polite conversation is the way to go.

This isn’t about “rewards” and “punishments.” It’s about forming a connection. Not all people who are in the right age group are going to hit it off. That’s okay.

(I’m not much of a “reward” anyway. :lol: )

Lets look at three scenarios:

Scenario A: The guy is joking and you find those jokes funny

Scenario B: The guy is joking and you don't find those jokes funny

Scenario C: A guy does not joke and has just a regular conversation

You made it clear that in scenario B you reject the guy, in scenario C you like the guy.

What about scenario A? Would you like the guy in that scenario or not?

Based on your latest reply, you wouldn't, since the guy in Scenario A is also "going out of his way to impress you".

However, from what I knew from other sourced, the women would like a guy in Scenario A, because they like funny guys.

Now, if you were to actually like the guy in Scenario A and dislike the one in Scenario B, then its not about being genuine any more. They are both trying to flirt. Rather its about being successful. In other words, its ableist.

This belongs in another thread but I would advise avoiding trying humour on NT females until you are 100% sure it will be received positively.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 1:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
That sounds like something that would be done in Alabama. I bet the schoolboards in that state still believe in corporal punishment.

Correct CR, the key word is Alabama. It provides all the context one needs for this story.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 5:20 am

I grew up around a lot of Latinos in the San Fernando Valley, and chili sauce was a common punishment for those kids. Pretty much the equivalent of putting a bar of soap in a kid's mouth.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 5:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
That sounds like something that would be done in Alabama. I bet the schoolboards in that state still believe in corporal punishment.

Correct CR, the key word is Alabama. It provides all the context one needs for this story.

Stereotype broad-brushing.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jul 2022, 5:37 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Ahem, Love and Dating is over here: viewforum.php?f=6

Please get back on to the topic and the thread's opening post.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 6:13 am

The kids referred to are 2 years old and under. This makes it worse, in my eyes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 8:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The kids referred to are 2 years old and under. This makes it worse, in my eyes.

Punishing kids in that age group is just wrong. Toddlers need to be redirected sometimes but not punished (and certainly not with hot sauce).

It’s child abuse for any child, though.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

I caught my daughter trying to feed her little brother a red Serrano once.
She told him it was candy.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 6:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
A punishment I was born for.

Living in Malaysia I have acquired a palate that demands spice/chilli. I imagine Texans and Souther Californians also acquire a tolerance for hot sauce.

For me, it's anything but Ghost Peppers and Carolina Reapers.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:

How old was your daughter and how old was her brother?

Did you punish your daughter after she did it?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 10:30 pm

QFT wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

How old was your daughter and how old was her brother?

Did you punish your daughter after she did it?

He was around four and she was seven.
I told her not to do that again or she would get in trouble.Which would have been me taking away her favorite toys for a certain amount of time.Kids do mean stuff to each other like that.No serious harm would have been done to him.I would be the one having to endure the screaming.
Years later he payed her back by placing a dead mole the dog killed in her room.
The scream was epic.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 10:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Years later he payed her back by placing a dead mole the dog killed in her room.

How did he remember what she did to him? I hardly remember anything when I was 4.

And how did he know that it was going to be bitter if you stopped him from eating it?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 10:55 pm

QFT wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

How did he remember what she did to him? I hardly remember anything when I was 4.

And how did he know that it was going to be bitter if you stopped him from eating it?

I told him about it when he got older for a laugh, he says he remembers it.
I remember back before kindergarten, not everything.
They aren’t bitter, but hot ,and he wasn’t holding the pepper.She was, reaching it out and saying, “Eat this —-, it’s candy.”
They are a bright red when ripe, like some candy.When I yelled she pulled the pepper back.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Bought to you by the same folks who thought hanging black people from lamposts will punish them if they voted

Remember, their state's motto is "Hell yeah, we got electricity!"

(it's really "We Dare Defend Our Rights")

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:34 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I grew up around a lot of Latinos in the San Fernando Valley, and chili sauce was a common punishment for those kids. Pretty much the equivalent of putting a bar of soap in a kid's mouth.

Making them smoke an entire pack of cigarettes is another one.