Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2022, 6:43 pm

Hello! I'm Shelly, 49F (soon to be 50, yikes!) from Minnesota. I just had my autism assessment yesterday and now awaiting the results. Honestly, if it isn't autism, I'm just a very screwed up individual, lol Nothing else would explain my entire life if not for this. It's gonna be a looooong 11 days!

Anyone else from my neck of the woods? (Where the heck did that phrase even come from- the woods don't have a neck!? lol)

Nice to be here, can't wait to jump in!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 10:06 pm

Well...I'm not from your "neck" of the woods. But I was diagnosed at age 64. I know how good that can feel.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2022, 12:34 am

I'm not from around there, but Ope, I'm just gonna squeeze right in der and say welcome!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 1:00 am

GaiaGoddess wrote:
Hello! I'm Shelly, 49F (soon to be 50, yikes!) from Minnesota. I just had my autism assessment yesterday and now awaiting the results. Honestly, if it isn't autism, I'm just a very screwed up individual, lol Nothing else would explain my entire life if not for this. It's gonna be a looooong 11 days!

Anyone else from my neck of the woods? (Where the heck did that phrase even come from- the woods don't have a neck!? lol)

Nice to be here, can't wait to jump in!

I mean generally autism cannot be helped so welcome but also you are not wrong for being autistic,, it is just the way some of us are.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 2:41 am

What DR said.

Not from your neck of the woods, but was diagnosed late, and am over fifty, but can testify that it was good to be diagnosed.

Welcome aboard the spaceship Wrong Planet.

Good question. Here in Maryland on the Chesapeake shore there are 'necks' - which are little peninsulas- little spits of land going out into the water with names like "Smith's Neck", and "Jone's Neck" that look on the map like chicken necks, or like human necks. But I dont know how an inland forest could have 'necks'.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

Hi Shelly,

I used to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota 20 years ago. I really miss that state, would make me feel younger.

Yes, the woods sometimes do have a neck: when the edge of the woods is not even. That idea makes me wanna go and explore. Unfortunately I don't drive so I didn't get to explore much of Minnesota. I certainly haven't been to woods since I was in Minneapolis. But now I am kinda curious about the parts of Minnesota that do have them.

By the way, few years BEFORE I was in Minnesota, my mom found a tutor for me for my English classes, her name was Shelly. That wasn't Minnesota though. It was California. She was really old, probably like 80. And she died a long time ago.

But its nice to see two of my distant memories (Shelly and Minnesota) put together :)

By the way, are you big on grammar and editing things? Some aspies are. If by any chance you are that way, you would have one thing in common with Shelly. When I think of Shelly I think of editing things.

It is certainly nice to talk to Shelly about the "neck of the woods" expression. That would have been her topic :)

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Well...I'm not from your "neck" of the woods. But I was diagnosed at age 64. I know how good that can feel.

Wow, 64! And I thought 49 was late!

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2022, 6:38 pm

Agent_Elflord wrote:
I'm not from around there, but Ope, I'm just gonna squeeze right in der and say welcome!

:lol: You definitely got the lingo down good! Thank you!

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2022, 6:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What DR said.

Not from your neck of the woods, but was diagnosed late, and am over fifty, but can testify that it was good to be diagnosed.

Welcome aboard the spaceship Wrong Planet.

Good question. Here in Maryland on the Chesapeake shore there are 'necks' - which are little peninsulas- little spits of land going out into the water with names like "Smith's Neck", and "Jone's Neck" that look on the map like chicken necks, or like human necks. But I dont know how an inland forest could have 'necks'.

Thanks! Good to know there's a few of us older folks in here!

:lol: Yeah, also not sure how woods can have necks but totally see how a body of water could!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:43 pm

Ah, Mini-soda! Bin true dare many times, you betcha!

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

QFT wrote:
Hi Shelly,

I used to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota 20 years ago. I really miss that state, would make me feel younger.

Yes, the woods sometimes do have a neck: when the edge of the woods is not even. That idea makes me wanna go and explore. Unfortunately I don't drive so I didn't get to explore much of Minnesota. I certainly haven't been to woods since I was in Minneapolis. But now I am kinda curious about the parts of Minnesota that do have them.

By the way, few years BEFORE I was in Minnesota, my mom found a tutor for me for my English classes, her name was Shelly. That wasn't Minnesota though. It was California. She was really old, probably like 80. And she died a long time ago.

But its nice to see two of my distant memories (Shelly and Minnesota) put together :)

By the way, are you big on grammar and editing things? Some aspies are. If by any chance you are that way, you would have one thing in common with Shelly. When I think of Shelly I think of editing things.

It is certainly nice to talk to Shelly about the "neck of the woods" expression. That would have been her topic :)

Aww I'm glad I brought up a few good memories for you! Minnesota has AMAZING woods, you should come back and explore them! We're kinda famous for the North Shore which is packed with State Parks (of course there are some in the southern half of the state too), then there's the Boundary Waters too!

YES I am actually into grammar and editing! Grammar/English was the only subject in school that I did well in. I also have had many websites in my life, I have a book on Amazon too.

GaiaGoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2022, 6:45 pm

Fnord wrote:

:lol: Ahh there's a few of you who know how to talk Minnesotan, that's awesome!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:56 pm

GaiaGoddess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ahh there's a few of you who know how to talk Minnesotan, that's awesome!
Not too much differnt from Yooper, dontcha know?

:wink:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 9:30 pm

GaiaGoddess wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Wow, 64! And I thought 49 was late!
There are others on WP who did it later than 64. I think a common theme, however, is happiness to finally understand what had been going on in their lives.

I'm sort of pleased that I muddled through life for so long without being discovered.

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:38 am

Hello Shelly and welcome to Wrong Planet - I hope that you will enjoy it here!! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)