Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 8:02 pm

KitLily wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
If Asperger was Schindler, that would have been great.

Yes, imagine if autistic people were said to have Schindler's Syndrome :P

And occasionally, through a combo of luck and skillful work, a person can hit a humanitarian home run! :D

But I think going for singles and doubles is probably the better percentage play. :nemo:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 1:07 am

Noamx wrote:
I tend to agree with the fact there could possibly be other people who have discovered this type of syndrome alot earlier than Asperger did, but it could also be, they have discovered something slightly different, not exactly the same type of problem Asperger himself had discovered, and to a possibly more precise degree. Its unlikely it was named after him by mistake; even if he wasnt the person who had discovered it first, he was likely the first one who had contributed to it that much, to a large extent, I think. Atleast thats what I have learned from what I have read about him in various places(not books, but other places around the Internet, places which appear to be very reliable sources of information).

The name of the syndrome sounds okay overall, I think there are worse names for syndromes/disorders out there. I enjoy using the original term Asperger Syndrome instead of High functioning Autism. By the way, have you guys also noticed alot of people tend to associate the word "autism", even if its mentioned as high functioning, as a form of a serious intellectual disability? It can automatically give a wrong impression about someone else, which is why using the word "Autism" to describe an AS person is a big mistake. There are unclear, but definite, differences between HFA and AS I think.

Can you guys explain what you think about what I just said too?

By the way, if you disagree with something, here's a good advice I learned a while ago: Make sure you are not making a personal attack while sharing why you disagree, otherwise the discussion/conversation can become unpleasant.

Grunya Sukharev and her pioneering work was largely unknown until recently. That is likely because she was Jewish in the Soviet Union so the Soviets did not brag about her. “Asperger’s Syndrome” and “Kanner’s Syndrome” were occasionally used informally in psychology journals to distinguish between “high functioning” and “low functioning” autistics. In 1981 British psychologist Lorna Wing proposed making Aspergers Syndrome a separate entry in the DSM and lobbied successfully its inclusion. It was not a mistake, both Asperger’s Nazi complicity and Sukhsrev’s work were unknown to her.

As Wing understood it Autism and Aspergers were not separate conditions. Wing proposed the addition of Aspergers Syndrome after doing a prevalence survey and discovering there were many people struggling with Autistic traits who could not meet the diagnostic criteria of the time. Wing concluded correctly that parents would agree to an ASD assessment if you do not call it Autism with its “ret*d” stigma.

That said I do not think we should disassociate ourselves from our more severely Autistic brethren because the NT world’s confusion about autism makes it more uncomfortable to label ourselves Autistic. Doing so has a wiff of Aspie Supremacy about it. There are widely varying traits and severity in all sorts of human conditions but we don’t label them as separate things. As science advances it may very well be discovered what we call Autism is in fact separate conditions. If that happens we will have to deal with it. In lieu of that possibility what I would prefer is that we further subcategorize Autism but by predominant traits of the individual. As for Aspergers syndrome I would hope eventually it would be seen as an historical label that was useful and liberating for a lot of people. That time is not here as the term is still preferred by many of us.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 2:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Noamx wrote:
I tend to agree with the fact there could possibly be other people who have discovered this type of syndrome alot earlier than Asperger did, but it could also be, they have discovered something slightly different, not exactly the same type of problem Asperger himself had discovered, and to a possibly more precise degree. Its unlikely it was named after him by mistake; even if he wasnt the person who had discovered it first, he was likely the first one who had contributed to it that much, to a large extent, I think. Atleast thats what I have learned from what I have read about him in various places(not books, but other places around the Internet, places which appear to be very reliable sources of information).

The name of the syndrome sounds okay overall, I think there are worse names for syndromes/disorders out there. I enjoy using the original term Asperger Syndrome instead of High functioning Autism. By the way, have you guys also noticed alot of people tend to associate the word "autism", even if its mentioned as high functioning, as a form of a serious intellectual disability? It can automatically give a wrong impression about someone else, which is why using the word "Autism" to describe an AS person is a big mistake. There are unclear, but definite, differences between HFA and AS I think.

Can you guys explain what you think about what I just said too?

By the way, if you disagree with something, here's a good advice I learned a while ago: Make sure you are not making a personal attack while sharing why you disagree, otherwise the discussion/conversation can become unpleasant.

Grunya Sukharev and her pioneering work was largely unknown until recently. That is likely because she was Jewish in the Soviet Union so the Soviets did not brag about her.

I think that it has more to do with the fact that she was Russian (so like the German speaking Asperger her work wasnt known in the English speaking world), and that she was Soviet ( the cold war antipathy was already gearing up prior to 1945), than because her work was ignored within the USSR.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2022, 6:03 am

Here's a video that I had uploaded over a year ago explaining the Han Asperger controversy since there are a hand full of toxic autism advocate dismiss him as a war criminal. I had incidents when my autistic YouTube content had been boycotted since I have "Aspie" as the name of the channel, did have one who requested me to delete my channel without any regards of my three years of hard on this channel.

I am aware about this controversy and was praised by other people for speaking out against toxic autism advocates.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 6:09 am

Aspergers did some morally suspect things; you didn’t.

You have a good channel. I’ve watched about 20 of your downloads. You come across as somebody who tells us about Aspergers without being a jerk about it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

Aspie With Attitude wrote:

Here's a video that I had uploaded over a year ago explaining the Han Asperger controversy since there are a hand full of toxic autism advocate dismiss him as a war criminal. I had incidents when my autistic YouTube content had been boycotted since I have "Aspie" as the name of the channel, did have one who requested me to delete my channel without any regards of my three years of hard on this channel.

I am aware about this controversy and was praised by other people for speaking out against toxic autism advocates.

As I mentioned earlier I do agree that the bullying of people who prefer to use Aspergers or identify as Aspie is wrong. As most of us have been victims of bullying the last thing we should be doing is bullying other Autistics. This unfortunately is not new. Back in 2014 the year after the DSM subsumed the Aspergers diagnosis this was constantly going on here at WP. Those of us who identified as Aspie were not called Nazi’s so much because the revelations about Hans Asperger were not known yet. But we were assumed to be clueless elitists who looked down on other autistics. It was assumed we were either faking Aspergers for attention, or were not real autistics who had the label due to over diagnosis. When the revelations of about Hans Asperger came out it “confirmed” what the think they know about Aspies.

That said the stuff about Asperger is not speculation but the results of research by two historians who are experts in that time and place.

It is not Godwin’s Law in that this is not a conversation that inevitably ended up having a Nazi allegation recklessly thrown around.

As far Asperger being a war criminal 1. That is beyond my expertise 2. He was not prosecuted 3. It’s too late for anything to be done about it beyound making personal choices about usage “Aspergers” and “Aspie”.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 3:55 pm

And Myers-Briggs is yet another way to understand things.

For example, I understand there’s a lot of overlap between those of us on the spectrum and the INTJ personality type.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 4:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
. . . “Asperger’s Syndrome” and “Kanner’s Syndrome” were occasionally used informally in psychology journals to distinguish between “high functioning” and “low functioning” autistics. . .

And many schools seems to have this big need to classify students as either “high” or “low” functioning, with nothing in-between!

So much so that it might almost be a radical political act for parents to insist that their child be treated as middle-functioning. :D

===============

For example, most “normal” people stim, and baseball players and poker players certainly do.

And yes, I’m all in favor of time and place, and useful differences and distinctions between public and private stimming behavior.

But—

Stimming by itself is not a problem, instead part of the solution. Just like a poker player stims to maintain concentration and to self-manage stress.

* not such thing as “normal” anyway and how boring the world would be if there were! :jester:

Magna1970
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2022, 12:36 am

Perhaps the Russians are more sympathetic to our cause.

"The quieter you become the more you can hear." -Ram Das

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:10 pm

Magna1970 wrote:
I very much doubt it and we would probably be next in line after Trans* people for the beating and a bullet.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 6:35 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t revere people. If he didn’t discover it, someone else would’ve eventually.

I don’t think the bad stuff about Hans Asperger reflects on me personally.

Me too. The important thing to me is the information about the syndrome. I don't much care who discovered or rediscovered it. It's not as if I've got anything to thank him for. He was presumably paid for his work, and it was just a matter of chance that he noticed something was going on. He's dead anyway, so he won't care whether we put up a shrine to his glory, spit on his grave, or completely ignore him as a person.

Was he accurate about his findings/research? I wish I knew, but I don't know much about what he found out. He said some of the young people he dealt with were like little professors. That seems to have more than a grain of truth in it. I gather he also figured that those same young people seemed to have symptoms rather like those of autism, only less severe. That also seems accurate.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2022, 5:41 pm

Magna1970 wrote:

In russia, having any disability diagnosed bars you from doing most jobs and you're classified as "invalid". Since soviet times, Russia strives to create a "society free from abnormalities".