Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 3:12 pm

So dry that swamps are now catching on fire here.
Even a dust devil in the swamp.
https://www.thv11.com/amp/article/weath ... 41b2c0f517

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 6:53 pm

Talking to my relatives in Kansas, some of the dry land corn that they planted is only six inches tall. It should be nearly six feet by now, so those fields are basically a total loss. At least it is covered by their crop insurance policies.

Yes, the irrigated corn is doing much better, but that is water coming from a rapidly depleting aquifer. Eventually that part of Kansas will only be able to do dry land farming in the future unless the drought breaks. The weather has been around 100 to 110 degrees F for the past two weeks there. Today they got a break, as it only got into the low 90s. They can have hot summer days in July/August where the temperatures approach 120 degrees F.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 7:37 pm

I knew draining the swamp was a bad idea.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 2:50 am

The world could be burning, and the right would still be in denial about climate change.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 3:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The world could be burning, and the right would still be in denial about climate change.

At least the right is honest. The Democrats give lip service to climate change, but then never do a f*****g thing when they get in office.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 3:38 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

At least the right is honest. The Democrats give lip service to climate change, but then never do a f*****g thing when they get in office.

Sure, too much of the left isn't doing what they should. The right is either too hypocritically pro-business to admit what they know is true about climate change, or they're just deluded.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 6:08 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Fear mongering for votes.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

It’s the first time I ever saw a swamp catch on fire.That is NOT normal.
It’s still burning, maybe rain later this week will put it out.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 8:33 am

Misslizard wrote:
It’s the first time I ever saw a swamp catch on fire.That is NOT normal.

Hydrogen sulfide (also known as H2S, sewer gas, swamp gas, stink damp, and sour damp) is a colorless gas known for its pungent "rotten egg" odor at low concentrations. It is extremely flammable and highly toxic.

https://www.osha.gov/hydrogen-sulfide#: ... ly%20toxic.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 9:40 am

I’m aware of swamp gas. But this is burning because it’s dried completely out, the video shows a Dust Devil swirling in the dried out swamp.A lightning strike from a dry storm set it on fire.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:00 am

I was thinking maybe gas seeping up was helping keep the fire going.

Also I think that dust devil might actually be swirling smoke.

Also:

"Can a swamp catch on fire?

Fires in the swamp have been reported as early as 1840, with another occurring in 1860."

Okefenokee Swamp Fire Why Swamps Burn

A swamp catching on fire after a lightning strike is not some impossible freak of climate change that's never happened before.

In my opinion one of the reasons why people doubt there's a climate change disaster happening, is every little weather phenomena, fire, or brief record heatwave someplace in the middle of summer, seems to make headlines as if it's proof that the world is coming to an end.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

That is possible , but no mention of it on news or reports of foul odors in the area.
If the cypress trees died, they would be pretty flammable.The one in my yard is turning orange right now.A few green leaves left on the tips of the limbs. :(
It was such a pretty tree.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:22 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:

Also:

Fires in the swamp have been reported as early as 1840, with another occurring in 1860."

A swamp catching on fire after a lightning strike is not some impossible freak of climate change that's never happened before.

In my opinion one of the reasons why people doubt there's a climate change disaster happening, is every little weather phenomena, fire, or brief record heatwave someplace in the middle of summer, seems to make headlines as if it's proof that the world is coming to an end.
It is one thing for a lightning string to cause a fire in a swamp, it is quite another thing for a lightning strike to set an entire swamp on fire.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Also:

It is one thing for a lightning string to cause a fire in a swamp, it is quite another thing for a lightning strike to set an entire swamp on fire.

According to the article it's an area of former swampland that once had five feet of water in some parts. Swampland isn't quite the same thing as a full fledged swamp which would be why it doesn't have a name like "Okefenokee Swamp". Personally I'm having trouble seeing a 60 acre fire in a 100 acer former swampland area in late July, as proof the world is experiencing a climate disaster.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:57 am

It’s former swamp land because of the drought, not because it was drained.We have swamps ( and bayous) all over the state.I have never seen one catch on fire in my lifetime or dry completely out.
A large percent of the world’s rice comes out of our swamps ,so if they are going dry, ( whether from drought or dropping water tables)it’s not going to bode well for world hunger.
Ever buy Riceland rice?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 5:09 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Fear mongering for votes.

No, fear based on scientific observation.