Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jmcgrue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2022, 9:23 am

Do people with asperger's get along well with other people with asperger's? It's kind of hit and miss for me.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:50 am

I think I get along well with most of them

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 1:39 pm

Probably depends on what kind of personality they have.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2022, 6:16 pm

I think so, but honestly I think I can relate more with people who are at about the same part of the spectrum as me. I have some social and academic shortcomings, but for the most part I can perform alright in public around NTs. I feel bad about it, but I find difficult talking to my aunt's (by marriage) sister's son. He's Autistic too, but I find it hard to talk to him because he'll come up to me, say a few words like he's trying to initiate a conversation, and then he just walks away and I don't understand it. It makes me think that he doesn't like me or finds me boring, but apparently asks/talks about me with my parents when they visit, and he also occasionally posts on my fb wall when it's my birthday or comments if I post something that may interest him which I think is very rare. I don't know, maybe it's just because he and my dad are car guys and I'm not (only to a very basic extent mostly on looks than performance or anything like that.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 8:54 pm

I get along with people whether they're NT or ASD. If someone has a pleasant personality, I get along with them.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 9:03 pm

I like most people as long as they're patient with me, though other autistic people seem to tolerate me better than allistic people. Allistic people don't understand my processing issues or my issues with socialization, and just think that I'm choosing to behave in a way that frustrates them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 7:12 am

I think it depends on the people. There may be some general shared attitudes to give a sense of camaraderie, if they both feel like outsiders from the mainstream, don't do sport, don't like society's pressure to conform, don't do schmooze, prefer to avoid crowds, etc. But special interests might be a problem, if the two Aspies are into different things. NTs are probably better able to take an interest in what the other person likes, so I think sometimes two Aspies will just bore each other by dragging the conversation back to their own obsessions. And Aspies aren't reknowned for their social skills, so they might find it harder to resolve conflicts etc. But like I say, I think it depends who you get. Every Aspie is different.

Sciency_Owen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2022, 9:00 am

I find that it is easier to interact with other NDs, simply because they are much better at relating to my experiences, such as my sensory sensitivities.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:28 am

There is a woman at my work that I suspect may be autistic. She's an absolutely malicious and nasty fat bítch. I've also seen some others like that. Some autistic people are evil like some non-autistic people are.

Other than such tragic cases, I generally find autistic people more comfortable to interact with than non-autistic people, probably because they share the same experiences and awareness with me.