Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

PinkFloydMania
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2022, 3:51 pm

PinkFloydMania here. I'm currently 29 years old, and have only known that I'm autistic for about a year now. I don't have access to any services or help, I am completely oblivious as to how to cope with things, and honestly it's just lonely not knowing anyone else like this. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what it all means and meet others like me, and maybe learn how to get my life back on track in a way that fits my neurotype.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 5:38 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it a good place to visit.

Beyond that, you might want to give folk a little more information about yourself.
<=>- Were you formally diagnosed?
<=>- Are your symptoms severe?
<=>- How well are you coping with life?
<=>- Are there specific problems you want to talk about?
That kind of thing.

P.S. Answering my questions is in no way obligatory. I just think it might help people to understand what kinds of insights to share with you. Some people here are your age, some mine. Some people here are living independently, some are not. And so forth.

P.P.S. Remember this is the Internet. You probably don't want to give information specific enough that you can be identified.

PinkFloydMania
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2022, 11:10 am

My symptoms are not what I would call severe on their own, but I've also got depression and it's the tag team between high functioning autism and depression that gets to me. Most of the coping methods I've learned in therapy really only apply to the neurotypical mind I feel like, so I'm not coping so well these days.

Also if there's certain terminology everyone uses here that jives with people better (saying "person with autism" rather than "autistic person", avoiding functioning labels, etc.), I'm down for that. I'm new to the culture, I mean no offense for the words I do use. I'm not particular about how people address me, but I want to respect others for sure.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 12:32 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:19 pm

PinkFloydMania wrote:
...but I've also got depression and it's the tag team between high functioning autism and depression that gets to me...
All I can note is that I was often unhappy. There are a few, brief periods when I was somewhat happy but those were exceptions. Right or wrong I eventually just tried to ignore it.

I didn't know I was Autistic until I was 64 and I assume it explains a lot of the past unhappiness, but for most of my life I just thought the World seemed to have decided it was going to be mean to me.

All I can offer is the suggestion that if you are in a bad place, KEEP MOVING! You don't want to stay in a bad place.

PinkFloydMania wrote:
...terminology...
:) The correct answer seems to vary from person to person. I suspect that, sometimes, even from conversation to conversation with the same person. With a little poking around you might find some conversations on this topic in other threads.

PinkFloydMania
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2022, 9:32 am

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone, and thanks for the advice Double Retired!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 9:45 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I wouldn't be too concerned about what words to use. You are with family now and we are here to help. I have Asperger's and it provides me with both pluses and minuses. So I tend to use my unique skills to counteract my weaknesses.

I'm OLD SCHOOL. I am 73 years old, suffered a massive stroke a year ago, but I keep on ticking.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:01 pm

PinkFloydMania wrote:
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone, and thanks for the advice Double Retired!
I think a lot of folk here might not like my advice. And I certainly can't say I know I'm right.

What I'm sure of is I was often unhappy. I eventually concluded it was just my lot in life. I tried to keep going toward "better" and eventually things changed...sometimes to the better. (I really, really like retirement!!)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:10 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen: