New York cancels use of "mentally ret*d" as official term

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Language policing is more often than not is being insensitive.

I think it's needs to be done right. There is an art to doing it.

Quite clearly ramming it down people's throats using the legal system isn't working.

Individualistic societies are where people don't like the government telling them what they can say.

Can not disagree with any of the above.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
"Mentally ret*d" is not the correct term for somebody with "intellectual disability"----whether one is "woke" or not "woke." And it hasn't been for quite a long time.

Just because "idiot" was an official medical term back in the 1920s----doesn't mean it's a correct term nowadays (obviously!). Language evolves.

I agree. I don't think the term should be in use any more. And I think that people should stop throwing the R-word around like confetti.

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2022, 5:25 pm

I don't know if you can 'cancel' a particular term. What you can do is to make it clear there are consequences if you use it. Like if I was to call a someone a 'dickhead' in close proximity. Sure I can do that but I can't control what happens afterwards.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 6:03 am

DavidJSNSW64 wrote:
I don't know if you can 'cancel' a particular term. What you can do is to make it clear there are consequences if you use it. Like if I was to call a someone a 'dickhead' in close proximity. Sure I can do that but I can't control what happens afterwards.

That's exactly what they are laying the groundwork for, It's called operant conditioning, Punishment leading to extinction of the behaviour.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
DavidJSNSW64 wrote:

That's exactly what they are laying the groundwork for, It's called operant conditioning, Punishment leading to extinction of the behaviour.

It never occurred to me that wokes are ABA’rs. Just another reason to oppose cancel culture.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They probably should have done that 30 years ago…”mentally ret*d” was outdated even then.

I agree. It should have been done a lot sooner.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 3:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DavidJSNSW64 wrote:

It never occurred to me that wokes are ABA’rs. Just another reason to oppose cancel culture.

I'm not sure punishment for infractions is inherently ABA, unless judicial systems are also made up of ABAers.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 4:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DavidJSNSW64 wrote:

If you put it that way, MAGAs are like naughty children who need disciplining :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DavidJSNSW64 wrote:

If you put it that way, MAGAs are like naughty children who need disciplining :lol:

Their leader is tantruming, not having meltdowns.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 3:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
Their leader is tantruming, not having meltdowns.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:06 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If a word used as a diagnosis becomes scientifically inaccurate I have no objection to changing the term. “Mental Retardation” if used literally is not less accurate then “Intellectual Disability”.

Actually, it is.

"Mental Retardation" was ambiguous, insofar as it was usually defined as meaning roughly the equivalent of "intellectually disabled," but literally sounds like it should mean "developmentally delayed," which is not the same thing.

At the time the term "mental retardation" was coined, it was not yet recognized that there could be such a thing as what is now called "developmental disability" without "intellectual disability." For example, all autistic people are "developmentally disabled," but only some of us are "intellectually disabled."

So the new terminology is not just more "politically correct," but also more precise.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 9:01 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
If a word used as a diagnosis becomes scientifically inaccurate I have no objection to changing the term. “Mental Retardation” if used literally is not less accurate then “Intellectual Disability”.

Actually, it is.

"Mental Retardation" was ambiguous, insofar as it was usually defined as meaning roughly the equivalent of "intellectually disabled," but literally sounds like it should mean "developmentally delayed," which is not the same thing.

At the time the term "mental retardation" was coined, it was not yet recognized that there could be such a thing as what is now called "developmental disability" without "intellectual disability." For example, all autistic people are "developmentally disabled," but only some of us are "intellectually disabled."

So the new terminology is not just more "politically correct," but also more precise.

So what you are saying “mental retardation” has multiple subcategories two of which are “intellectual disability” and “developmental disability” . There is nothing wrong with creating subcategories as knowledge increases. But that is not why the term “mental retardation” fell into disfavor. It was because “ret*d” and then “ret*d” became an insult.

‘Autism” is probably more ambiguous then “Mental Retardation” ever was but despite the word becoming an insult there is yet no significant pressure to change it, and what little there is, is about its being ambiguous not about it becoming an insult.

So with “mental retardation” arguably the right thing was done for arguably the wrong reason.