Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2022, 5:48 pm

It has happened to you to see in other Aspergers a level of denial like this?

Me:
You're crushing the flowers.

Friend:
No, I'm walking on top of the flowers.

Me:
If you're walking on top of the flowers you're crushing them at the same time.

Friend:
No, no. I'm caressing the flowers with the soles of my shoes every time I lift my foot as I walk and tap them.

Making a statement like that makes you look like a real ret*d :lol: who is more concerned about being in control of what others see. Why use rhetoric to embellish or diminish something that doesn't change the outcome?

Sometimes I have a hard time getting along with others on the spectrum because of examples like these

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 7:36 pm

One time I was talking to an Aspie friend of mine while I was waiting for the bus.

Me: I'm glad I got here on time, there's nothing worse than missing your bus
Aspie friend: I think there are worse things than missing your bus, like there could be a huge destructive hurricane happen right now, or the bus could turn up and knock you over, or...

She wasn't saying that to help me put it into perspective that there are worse things than missing my bus, she just took the expression literally like I really meant that there is nothing worse than missing the bus. What "there's nothing worse than..." actually means is "I hate it when...". It's a very commonly used expression.

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2022, 10:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
One time I was talking to an Aspie friend of mine while I was waiting for the bus.

Aspie friend: I think there are worse things than missing your bus, like there could be a huge destructive hurricane happen right now, or the bus could turn up and knock you over, or...

She wasn't saying that to help me put it into perspective that there are worse things than missing my bus, she just took the expression literally like I really meant that there is nothing worse than missing the bus. What "there's nothing worse than..." actually means is "I hate it when...". It's a very commonly used expression.

Interesting.
The anecdote with your friend reminded me that I often hear that from other aspergers as well. One time a guy gave these same answers and asked for very obvious words that with a Google search are quickly solved. After a week of him repeating these questions over and over again... other aspies and I got irritated to the point that we were convinced he was playing with us.

Maybe it was a mistake, but I think many people take very seriously the role of the characters they see in series, or the information they read and go from being a  human with his peculiarities to a parody. I really can't take seriously a person who answers as if he thinks he is a machine or wants to impress by ridiculous readings of infinite possibilities.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:22 am

I think it's a lot to do with establishing a hierarchy. Many autistic people are not stupid enough to not know what some expressions mean. They are actually better than taking everything literally. They just want to show you they are better/higher than you, though they may not necessarily be. No point in taking such people seriously. You can tell them they are the most intelligent person in the world in a very obviously sarcastic way. They will know what you mean.

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2022, 9:23 am

temp1234 wrote:
You can tell them they are the most intelligent person in the world in a very obviously sarcastic way. They will know what you mean.

I have done so in the past. It was fun.

temp1234 wrote:
They just want to show you they are better/higher than you.

Well who knows, they're probably better than me. But I'll take these words "establish a hierarchy", thanks for that perspective.

Last edited by Najash on 28 Jul 2022, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 12:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:

lol

well there are worse things but...
lol

I get the meaning but I'm fragile x

ill give you both definitions lol

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:03 pm

lol

walk round the flowers

they are pretty

I don't fit in anywhere either

I'm naturally irritating

but I like it when you are happy

its nice to see

be happy even if you are different

I don't mind different

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:06 pm

just don't be crazy, that freaks me out

I've met some unstable people

ok I get upset when I lose my tickle but I'm not into the whole ego thing

they were a bit abusive

um.....

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:10 pm

Najash wrote:
temp1234 wrote:
You can tell them they are the most intelligent person in the world in a very obviously sarcastic way. They will know what you mean.

temp1234 wrote:

Well who knows, they're probably smarter. But I'll take these words "establish a hierarchy", thanks for that perspective.

play them up lol

I can be smart but only in the classroom

I'm a social idiot

but I luffs you

and I want you to feel happy

i like happy

I got A grades at uni wtf lol

hey they let me do my thing lol

I'm a sad soul...i love algebra lol

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
just don't be crazy, that freaks me out

I've met some unstable people

ok I get upset when I lose my tickle but I'm not into the whole ego thing

they were a bit abusive

um.....

punch them in the throat if they get gratuitously abusive with you.

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2022, 1:30 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Najash wrote:
temp1234 wrote:

temp1234 wrote:

Well who knows, they're probably smarter. But I'll take these words "establish a hierarchy", thanks for that perspective.

play them up lol

I can be smart but only in the classroom

I'm a social idiot

but I luffs you

and I want you to feel happy

i like happy

I got A grades at uni wtf lol

hey they let me do my thing lol

I'm a sad soul...i love algebra lol

NOOO way
I am also socially ret*d, high five.
Algebra is nice, yes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 10:37 pm

If somebody told me I had been crushing flowers I'd be really embarrassed and apologizing about 10 times and feeling stupid for being in a world of my own I didn't even notice I was killing innocent flowers like some cartoon villain or something.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 12:46 am

Honestly I would think they were just being smart asses and playing semantics. I wouldn't even be patient about it. as*holes exist in every diverse brain.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 4:11 am

Joe90 wrote:

Yes. This is an example of behavior that is peculiar to autistics and aspies. Taking things literally.

The person the OP is complaining about maybe autistic but their behavior is just garden variety jerkiness not peculiar to any neurotype.