friend doesn't want to do improv acting anymore

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm

So my friend and I have being going to improvisational acting lessons and we really enjoy it. I've been sick for a few weeks and he went by himself. He took offense to one of the skits having someone talking to dead people. He told me he was done with the group to which I said I hope that he can talk to the lady that runs it and he said he would. I haven't been able to go because its far away and I don't drive. It puts my in a situation because I cant speak on his behalf about why he wont go. He keeps saying he will do it but its been weeks.He says she wouldn't care that were not going but based on her emails and what she says in the group she likes what we bring to the table.

One of my other friends thinks he's being cowardly while two of my friends say that's his decision. It just irks me that he runs away so easily from confrontation and there's a decent chance the lady will alter the scenes.

I guess all three friends are correct.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 10:22 am

I think I can understand your friend's taking offense and no longer wanting to go to the lessons. He might be more distressed about it than you can imagine. He might be very uncomfortable with the potential confrontation with the person who runs it if he were to speak to her. It's not fair to call him a coward. It's entirely his decision. No one should be criticizing him about it.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 5:33 pm

anyone else want to add something?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 2:28 am

Why on earth is he offended by this?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:06 am

He sounds like he has been traumatised by something in the past and can't face the dead people scene or the confrontation. I'd leave him to do what he wants if I were you and don't pressure him. Usually if we think someone is overreacting, there is something causing it that we don't know about.

I don't think I'd like a scene talking to dead people either, it sounds morbid.

Can you go by yourself to the class? Or take someone else with you? It sounds like a lot of fun, mostly.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 2:04 pm

enz wrote:
So my friend and I have being going to improvisational acting lessons and we really enjoy it. I've been sick for a few weeks and he went by himself. He took offense to one of the skits having someone talking to dead people.

Why was he offended? Religious reasons? Personal trauma? Just a general dislike of ghost stories?

enz wrote:
He told me he was done with the group to which I said I hope that he can talk to the lady that runs it and he said he would. I haven't been able to go because its far away and I don't drive.

In other words, by refusing to go, he is also stopping you from going?

enz wrote:
It puts my in a situation because I cant speak on his behalf about why he wont go. He keeps saying he will do it but its been weeks.He says she wouldn't care that were not going but based on her emails and what she says in the group she likes what we bring to the table.

One of my other friends thinks he's being cowardly while two of my friends say that's his decision. It just irks me that he runs away so easily from confrontation and there's a decent chance the lady will alter the scenes.

Is there any favor you could offer to do for him in exchange for him getting up the courage to voice his issue to the lady? (Perhaps you could also refer him to one or more of these tutorials on how to be assertive without being aggressive?)

If not, then perhaps you should just write to the lady who runs the group and tell her that your friend won't be going anymore (without specifying the reason), and therefore you are wondering if anyone else in the group would be willing and able to give you a ride?