Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dragon729
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2022, 8:42 pm

I realized that this is where you post your welcome message. Hi! I am a 14-year-old Level 1 autistic who is looking for a place where others understand them. I am eager to see how this site is for me, and if anyone else has any sites they would like to recommend too, that would be great. Anyway, happy to meet you all.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 1:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 10:08 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

According to the internet - Level 1 ASD is the mildest form of autism. Children with level 1 ASD have a hard time communicating appropriately with others.

So I would probably fall into this category. When I was young I was very slow at reading. I normally only read comic books. But during my first year of high school, they put me into a class called SPEED READING. It was a very unusual course. They taught me to read from the inside out. It was a wildly different approach to learning how to read. I do not know if they teach this course nowadays and I do not know if you have any problems with reading skills. But if you do, I would recommend taking this course.

Dragon729
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2022, 11:36 am

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

According to the internet - Level 1 ASD is the mildest form of autism. Children with level 1 ASD have a hard time communicating appropriately with others.

So I would probably fall into this category. When I was young I was very slow at reading. I normally only read comic books. But during my first year of high school, they put me into a class called SPEED READING. It was a very unusual course. They taught me to read from the inside out. It was a wildly different approach to learning how to read. I do not know if they teach this course nowadays and I do not know if you have any problems with reading skills. But if you do, I would recommend taking this course.

That sounds like a really cool course. Our school really only has normal Language Arts classes. I'm not sure what electives we have. I'm pretty good at reading quickly, and Language Arts is one of my better subjects. My only problem is inferences, particularly interpreting poetry. I pretty much hate poetry lessons because they remind me that I can't read between the lines and because of that (and other things) I will always be different. Next year my Language Arts class focuses more on rhetoric and persuasion (which I'm pretty good at), but senior year it'll be poetry again. So if your speedreading class could help with that I'd be grateful! This year I have a class where you learn about the legal system, so that will be fun!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 8:39 pm

Asperger's and autism can affect people differently. So find what you are good at and excel in that area. I was good at math and I excelled in that area. But others may have special talents in music, etc. Go where you can excel at.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen: