Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:50 pm

Group of Republicans and Democrats form new political party to appeal to moderates

Quote:
A group of former Republican and Democratic officials are forming a new political party called Forward, in an attempt to appeal to what they call the "moderate, common-sense majority."

"Political extremism is ripping our nation apart, and the two major parties have failed to remedy the crisis," David Jolly, Christine Todd Whitman and Andrew Yang wrote in a Washington Post op-ed published Wednesday. "Today's outdated parties have failed by catering to the fringes. As a result, most Americans feel they aren't represented."

A group of former Republican and Democratic officials are forming a new political party called Forward, in an attempt to appeal to what they call the "moderate, common-sense majority."

"Political extremism is ripping our nation apart, and the two major parties have failed to remedy the crisis," David Jolly, Christine Todd Whitman and Andrew Yang wrote in a Washington Post op-ed published Wednesday. "Today's outdated parties have failed by catering to the fringes. As a result, most Americans feel they aren't represented."

The group cites issues including guns, climate change and abortion as those that could benefit from a moderate approach. The new party will also advocate ranked-choice voting and open primaries, the end of gerrymandering, and nationwide protection for voting rights.

"Sixty-two percent of Americans now want a third party, a record high, because they can see that our leaders aren't getting it done," Yang told CNN's Brianna Keilar on "New Day" on Thursday in a joint appearance with Whitman. "And when you ask about the policy goals, the fact is the majority of Americans actually agree on really even divisive issues. The most divisive issues of the day like abortion or firearms -- there's actually a commonsense coalition position on these issues and just about every other issue under the sun."

Forward is planning a national convention next summer and will soon seek ballot access to run candidates in 2024, according to the Post op-ed.

To put it mildly I have my doubts but I wish them well.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 8:09 pm

The US sure needs some new blood, but a party inbetween neoliberal liberals and neoliberal christian fundamentalists sounds pretty much like they aren't interested in changing anything substantially.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 8:24 pm

The US needs rank-choice voting and yes, multiple major parties.

Yang's been talking about 'Forward' for a long time and I do wish him the best of luck.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 9:46 pm

Finally, a party the Democrats and Republicans can agree to hate. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 9:47 pm

shlaifu wrote:
The US sure needs some new blood, but a party inbetween neoliberal liberals and neoliberal christian fundamentalists sounds pretty much like they aren't interested in changing anything substantially.

Yes, they do seem like the Perpetuating Ongoing Problems Party.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 6:22 am

GOP is plenty moderate.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:21 pm

shlaifu wrote:

What new blood are you wanting?

Though by middle ground, they (Yang and Whitman) likely mean between AOC and MTG.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:27 pm

The following "Centrist" parties already exist:

• Alliance Party (United States)
• American Solidarity Party
• Citizens Party
• Reform Party of the United States of America
• Serve America Movement
• United States Pirate Party (joke?)
• Unity Party of America

Personally, I do not see much sense in the idea that if over a half-dozen other moderate parties have been ineffective, the only solution is to form yet another moderate party.  I believe this "Forward" party will be just as ineffective as all the others.

But I hope to be proven wrong.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:33 pm

Fnord wrote:

• Citizens Party
• Serve America Movement
• Unity Party of America

Personally, I do not see much sense in the idea that if over a half-dozen other moderate parties have been ineffective, the only solution is to form yet another moderate party.  I believe this "Forward" party will be just as ineffective as all the others.

Plus there are indies like Evan McMullin, who ran for president in 2016. Looking back, he would have been a good president.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:

• Citizens Party
• Serve America Movement
• Unity Party of America

I didn't know the Reform party was still around, after it was hijacked by Pat Buchanan in 2000.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 9:18 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

What new blood are you wanting?

Though by middle ground, they (Yang and Whitman) likely mean between AOC and MTG.

Since both parties are economically far right, I suggest an economically far left communist party and a centrist party.

Georgists.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism
Equally despised by Marx and rich people.
You know, a centrist position.

Actually differing opinions on how to run stuff, not merely capitalism with a human face and capitalism with a bizarre orange grimace.
These guys currently are fighting over whether the game is fairer with or without abortions, with or without discrimination, but what they are never talking about is: should this be a game at all?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm

I feel like this has some potential to gain traction in ways other moderate third parties have not. I will forever deride their centrist, status-quo capitalist non-ideology, but I think more parties could do this country some good. And it is good to see a party explicitly prioritize ranked choice voting, open primaries, and an end to gerrymandering. Dems and Reps are too dominated by beltway career politicians to put any real effort into uprooting the status quo in this way. Funny, those same beltway moderate types were fine with the status quo until partisan politics threatened their ability to maintain their vanilla, feel-good beltway liberal capitalism.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 11:22 pm

I would like to see a party that protects all human life from conception until natural death. I would like to see the same party advocate for LGBTQ rights.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 5:29 am

Fnord wrote:

In Czech Republic, there is Pirate Party (Piráti). They are now part of governing coalition of the country. Perhaps US Pirate Party got some inspiration there.

Last edited by SpiralingCrow on 01 Aug 2022, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 5:40 am

So many parties have never been able to get a toe hold in the US. It's easy to scoff at the idea that this one will fail too. But, the Dem's and Rep's are so polarized right now, that perhaps the timing is right. If they get the right marketing, maybe it can work.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 2:40 pm

SpiralingCrow wrote:
So many parties have never been able to get a toe hold in the US. It's easy to scoff at the idea that this one will fail too. But, the Dem's and Rep's are so polarized right now, that perhaps the timing is right. If they get the right marketing, maybe it can work.

To a foreigner like me it's quite a feat how the reps and dems manage to be so polarized while being almost indistinguishable. It feels like football rivalry at this point: it's a matter of what side you're born on, but the teams play the same sport, and who wins is basically meaningless