Richest Tik Tok star ever stole all her dance moves

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:46 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Nevertheless, it's incorrect to say that a work not registered as copyrighted is therefore public domain.

Does that mean the original teen who created the dance can still sue for a portion of the Charilie's profits? In addition to cultural appropriation then there's also the issue of plagiarism. She has been careful to never acknowledge the girl who created this dance. Hence why Ellen and Oprah gave the creator some airplay as it seems at best mean spirited.

Charlie's parents are also careful in interviews to avoid getting into a legal stoush over their daughter stealing.

An interesting callback here is the DAmellio's are Italian. There has been a claim by the American Italian community for some years that they invented Jazz :roll: . As black music rose in popularity both the italian and spanish communities started trying to profit from this popularity. Italian young men in Jersey like Franky Valli and the 4 seasons copied the black boy bands, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin's crooning was directly lifted from black singers. Cuban mambo and italian mambo and music of Spanish Harlem elevated the careers of a lot young famous Italian and cuban performers such as Lucille Ball's husband Desi Arnaz.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Nevertheless, it's incorrect to say that a work not registered as copyrighted is therefore public domain.
Does that mean the original teen who created the dance can still sue for a portion of the Charilie's profits?  In addition to cultural appropriation then there's also the issue of plagiarism.
Again, stealing a few dance steps originated only by a few members of a specific culture does not constitute cultural appropriation; plagiarism, yes; but not cultural appropriation -- that would have to involve traditional dance moves related to the entire culture (not just a few individuals).

As long as Ms. D'Amilio and her family avoid any reference to the originators of the dance steps, they may be able to avoid any litigation.  Then again, they can also "settle out of court for an undisclosed sum without any claim of wrong-doing."  (How many times have we heard THAT before?)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
As long as Ms. D'Amilio and her family avoid any reference to the originators of the dance steps, they may be able to avoid any litigation.  Then again, they can also "settle out of court for an undisclosed amount without any claim of wrong-doing."  (How many times have we heard THAT before?)[/color]

Yes that's fairly clear they will never utter any acknowledgement lest they have to pay some of their millions back to the creator of the dance moves.

Pretty much all popular music/dance and even casual dress in America (which influences the rest of the world) appears to be culturally appropriated from black America. Even the most "white" popular music such as heavy metal can be traced back to black musicians. I have no problem nowadays as this is all public domain stuff.

Tik Tok editors have a bad habit of posting dance where white females perform black music and dance while removing content from black performers. They know what sells.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 5:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
They know what sells.
And there you have the "Bottom Line" to this whole kerfuffle.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:27 pm

Can we please acknowledge for a second the massive problem it causes for our culture and education systems, if a teenage girl can become a millionaire by occasionally doing a few plagiarized dance moves?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:39 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Can we please acknowledge for a second the massive problem it causes for our culture and education systems, if a teenage girl can become a millionaire by occasionally doing a few plagiarized dance moves?

I, for one, am extremely disturbed by this massive problem. I feel as though some of the focus on the Russian/Ukrainian situation should be shifted to this very issue.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:51 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

I, for one, am extremely disturbed by this massive problem. I feel as though some of the focus on the Russian/Ukrainian situation should be shifted to this very issue.

:lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
An interesting callback here is the DAmellio's are Italian.

I could do without the connection to Italian-Americans. (Disclaimer) am not Italian-American.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Can we please stop for a second and acknowledge the massive exaggeration of this problem? ONE woman, training as a dancer since the age of three, outperforms a few dance moves developed by a few other people whom we have never heard of, and who were likely self-taught (not trained).

Why have we never heard of them?

Because their talents are not as noteworthy as those of Ms. D’Amilio, that is why!

Sure, they may have just enough talent to invent those moves, but it took the initiative of an exceptionally talented person to express those moves in such a way to make people notice. The phrase “You snooze, you lose” was never more applicable.

In my opinion, those people would not have cared if just another mediocre dancer had copied those move and made a few dollars busking them on the street. I believe they are jealous of talent greater than theirs, and they just want to force Ms. D’Amilio back down to their level.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Your sarcasm is noted. Thank you.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 11:42 pm

This all started when Michael Jackson stole the "moonwalk" from Bill Bailey who came up with it in 1955.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 7:04 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
This all started when Michael Jackson stole the "moonwalk" from Bill Bailey who came up with it in 1955.

Elvis copied leg shaking among other things so he must be the greatest plagiariser of all

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

It is actually disturbing that more people in this world interested in wathcing this girl's bottom than they are about war crimes

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Elvis copied leg shaking among other things so he must be the greatest plagiariser of all

Pretty much any leg movement at all is dance plagiarism.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

It is actually disturbing that more people in this world interested in wathcing this girl's bottom than they are about war crimes

You two should start a Ukrain thread and show how much better you are.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 02 Aug 2022, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:18 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Pretty much any leg movement at all is dance plagiarism.
Is there evidence to prove that the people complaining about being ripped off actually invented those moves?