Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 12:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autistic singer Aubrey Burchell captivates AGT fans with The Weeknd tune
Quote:
Aubrey Burchell took to the America’s Got Talent stage to perform The Weeknd’s ‘Call Out My Name’. Putting her own emotional spin on the popular track, she seriously impressed the talent show judges.

Spoiler alert:
Revealing that she was recently diagnosed with level one autism, Audrey’s audition received four yeses. Hoping to inspire viewers across the country, the singer broke down in tears after getting a standing ovation.

“Special” and with the potential for a “skyrocketing career” (Simon’s words), she was described as the “perfect package” by judge Sofia Vergara.

cyberdad wrote:

Is it possible she's faking it?

Anything is possible but without good reason such as Dan Ackroyd’s claim he was diagnosed with Aspergers in the early 1980s I don’t think we should cast suspicion on peoples Autism claims. I know there is an ongoing thread about people faking autism, a legitimate topic for conversation but it should not bleed into guilty until proven innocent mentality. That only can lead to suspicion of every autistic who is successful and appears normal for the brief time you see them.

I see it as people have a hard enough time getting a diagnosis and then some. Having autism isn't really seen as a privilege.
Trying to discredit people with autism on an autism site is a sh***y thing to do - who here can legitimately diagnose ASD?
What you could ask yourself is, what do you get from all this speculation?

I was signposted to this site, by a psychologist, for some peer support after my own diagnosis and sometimes feel I have got that. We are a community, marginalised and treated as lesser beings by society. Here, on this site, we need that positive helpful camaraderie more than ever.

You don't know this girl, nor are you likely to meet her. Leave the media to their sensationalism and put all that energy you have into supporting us.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I can not tell from a brief video either.

Is it possible she's faking it?

Why in the world would you say that? ^

Great comment, Temmy.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
What is it that you don't like about her Cyberdad?

How is she pushing your buttons?

I'm not sure she needs to broadcast her autism. It just seems a little contrived in order to win sympathy. I would have preferred that she just perform and be judged on her merits. She could have been more discreet.

I wonder what makes you uncomfortable about this?
Why shouldn't she disclose if that's her choice?
Because it's probably been 100 times harder for her than the next 'normal' person
And it's quite dismissive to call her struggles 'contrived'.
But hey, wouldn't want to make you feel 'put out'.
You really do sound like you have a case of sour grapes here.
Just saying.
If you don't want backstories, just listen to music instead of watching these shows.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:28 pm

^

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 5:26 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Why shouldn't she disclose if that's her choice?
Because it's probably been 100 times harder for her than the next 'normal' person
And it's quite dismissive to call her struggles 'contrived'.
But hey, wouldn't want to make you feel 'put out'.
You really do sound like you have a case of sour grapes here.
Just saying.
If you don't want backstories, just listen to music instead of watching these shows.

Huh? where did this come from. No not at all. I'm trying to understand her reasons for saying it during her introduction. I am not trying to belittle her or criticise her reasons, just trying to understand.

While she was introducing herself when she disclosed her "Stage 1 autism" I nearly dropped my coffee and I am sure nobody else in the audience or the judges was expecting it either

Perhaps this is why its useful for NTs to post here as otherwise this forum becomes an echo chamber

sour grapes?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
No not at all. I'm trying to understand her reasons for saying it during her introduction. I am not trying to belittle her or criticise her reasons, just trying to understand.

She told you why, she wants to inspire other young autistics.
Speculation=mine:
She just got diagnosed. When I was diagnosed, walking out of the office into the street I had to suppress an urge to yell out in the streets "I'm an Aspie", "I'm an Aspie". At that point, you probably don't know about, stigmas that people think people fake it etc. I did not know about all of that either, but I was older and was brought up not to talk about "personal things" to anybody but close family and maybe closest friends. Ms. Burchell grew up in a very different time, the social media era.

Many if not most members here have been told over and over again that they are attention seekers/drama queens etc. That is why your speculation that she might be faking it is triggering people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
No not at all. I'm trying to understand her reasons for saying it during her introduction. I am not trying to belittle her or criticise her reasons, just trying to understand.

She told you why, she wants to inspire other young autistics.

My daughter and another girl with Aspergers does concerts performing violin and piano (the other girl does singing). Neither of them ever get introduced to the audience as girls with autism.

I actually think autistic people probably have a natural flair for performing arts so many of them might already be inspired through their own intrinsic motivation (not unlike this girl) overcoming their own hurdles.

But yes, she's entitled to disclose this to the world as it's her business (not mine).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 3:41 am

There are many youtube videos of her She has been singing since she was 13. Her dad is her support and guitarist. They have playing a lot of open mic night/dive bars etc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:03 am

Love the zombies in the walking girl video.
She is very talented and has worked very hard to get on that stage.
I hope the media give her more exposure and she becomes a top artist.
You go girl. :heart:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:13 am

Temeraire wrote:
Love the zombies in the walking girl video.
She is very talented and has worked very hard to get on that stage.
I hope the media give her more exposure and she becomes a top artist.
You go girl. :heart:

I liked that zombie video also. She made that when she was thirteen, so any success she has is not unearned overnight success.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 5:15 am

I have seen no evidence that Aubrey advanced to the final 11 but
'AGT' Season 17: Two Golden Buzzer acts to return for Qualifier 2

Quote:
On Tuesday, August 16, two great Golden Buzzer talents will return to 'America's Got Talent' to battle in the all-important live performances. Madison "Maddie" Taylor Baez, chosen by Howie Mandel, and Chapel Hart, winner of the group Golden Buzzer, are among the 11 competitors who will perform live for America's votes on the big stage.

The Brown Brothers
The Brown Brothers are an impressionist pair from 'America's Got Talent' Season 17. Nate and Gabe are both Navy veterans who suffer from high-functioning autism. In episode 3, the Brown Brothers auditioned by singing a medley of songs in the voices of several characters picked by the judges and Terry. They advanced to the next round when all four judges voted "Yes."

'AGT' Season 17 Semifinals: Fans declare Brown Brothers 'amazing', but say 'their audition was much better'
Quote:
With the live shows of 'America's Got Talent' kicking off, each act is bringing their A-game to the stage. There is a lot on the line, seeing that among the 11 acts performing each week, only 2 will advance forward. The stakes are as high as they can possibly get.

As the Brown Brothers took to the stage, they were all set to show the judges what they had, ready to make the most of their opportunity. The duo certainly took it up a notch, performing using the voices of Simon Cowell, Blake Shelton, Bon Jovi and Bees Gees, to sing their very own version of 'A Million Dreams' from 'The Greatest Showman'.

When it came to the judges' critique, Simon explained that he didn't think they were great until the second half, but with their planning and production value, the duo took the whole performance up a notch. The duo received praises all across the board. However, fans were torn over the duo.