Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2022, 12:45 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Yes because it was viewed as sin to celebrate religious holidays because the first century church had no religious holidays.

That's not true. Jesus himself celebrated Jewish holidays. It's in the New Testament!

"Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade." John 10:22-23

The Festival of Dedication is also known as Hanukkah. Jesus went to the temple itself to celebrate its dedication.

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all togethers in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting." Acts 2:1-2

Pentecost is a Jewish holiday, also known as Shavuot. It marks 50 days after Passover and the giving of the Torah to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Both of the major Christian holidays (Easter and Christmas) and the minor holiday of Pentecost are derived from existing Jewish holidays that early Christians celebrated.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 3:09 am

Pteranomom wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Yes because it was viewed as sin to celebrate religious holidays because the first century church had no religious holidays.

That's not true. Jesus himself celebrated Jewish holidays. It's in the New Testament!

"Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade." John 10:22-23

The Festival of Dedication is also known as Hanukkah. Jesus went to the temple itself to celebrate its dedication.

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all togethers in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting." Acts 2:1-2

Pentecost is a Jewish holiday, also known as Shavuot. It marks 50 days after Passover and the giving of the Torah to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Both of the major Christian holidays (Easter and Christmas) and the minor holiday of Pentecost are derived from existing Jewish holidays that early Christians celebrated.

Of Course Jesus celebrated Jewish holidays under the Mosaic Law but my sect teaches that celebrating christmas and easter is sinful if it is done in a religious manner.the church of christ celebrates easter every sunday.My church does not celebrate any Jewish or Christian holidays but we do celebrate Halloween as a fall festival every Halloween but I dont think the church of Christ non-profit corporation should not celebrate and historically the church of Christ taught that Christmas and Easter was sinful.My church teaches that if you stop doing something that offends a weaker brother (me in the case about Christmas)you must stop it right then and there.This could be anything even if it not a sin of any kind.Like say we had a mormon convert to my church and my drinking coffee offended them I could not go out to Starbucks again in my hometown.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 13 Aug 2022, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 3:17 am

^
That DOES have some logic. Both Christmas, and Easter, are rooted in Paganism. Both were appropriated by the early church to help spread Christianity. Sorry Kirk Franklin, but Christ is not really 'the reason for the season'. The Pagan midwinter festival of lights predated Christ.

But still...why not celebrate it anyway?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 3:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
^
That DOES have some logic. Both Christmas, and Easter, are rooted in Paganism. Both were appropriated by the early church to help spread Christianity. Sorry Kirk Franklin, but Christ is not really 'the reason for the season'. The Pagan midwinter festival of lights predated Christ.

But still...why not celebrate it anyway?

Ya your right Paganism is the reason for the season.My church teaches that observing any religious holiday is a sin.we are only supposed to observe non-religious holidays.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 9:38 am

I would think an Aspie might have trouble being in any community, spiritual or not. Some of these religious groups seem to think themselves more qualified to push individuals around and to teach them their version of right and wrong, and some of those versions seem pretty wacky to me. But all communities have their rules and their share of social pressures.

I'd be in trouble immediately for not believing in the supernatural and for being suspicious of leaders and hierarchies, though there might be spiritual communities that don't push that kind of thing - Church of England is pretty low-key, and Zen doesn't try to teach you anything you don't want to be taught. I like the peaceful atmosphere of some churches, and the cultivation of kind, respectful behaviour that some spiritual communities have, so it's a shame that most of them would also expect things of me that I don't want to deliver.

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2024, 11:33 am

I've been watching this YouTube channel about The Jehovah Witness's. I've never been JW but to me, it's just amazing how many people fall for this stuff. It got me thinking, if I had been raised in that religion, I would have been disfellowshipped at a very young age. I'm not sure if it's my autism but even as a kid, I would have to call BS on the rules in that organization.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 11:49 am

I became disillusioned with Wicca after I did research and realized their founder Gerald Gardner was an attention-seeker who lied and made things up about the history of actual witchcraft and paganism. He was also trying to start a sex cult.

I remember talking to an ex-Wiccan about this and she agreed when I compared him to Joseph Smith.