Has anyone else ever tried speed dating?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 12:19 am

sinsboldly wrote:
calandale wrote:
I know. How can you finish up in less than
eight minutes?

Plus, wouldn't it be hard to get ready for the
next one?

I have been trying not to mention how many men could easily accomplish the first one
and how many of them would not be up for the second one...

but I couldn't resist!

At my age, it takes longer than that to get started,
period.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 1:54 am

I tried it, without any luck. I didn't think anyone chose me. I was left to buy another £5.00 drink or something. It was a very depressing evening out.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2007, 11:45 am

I tried speed dating and got pulled over by the sex police. Ended up with a $100 ticket and surcharges on my insurance.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 2:14 pm

Try to appear cordial and well kept, and jest put down every person on your list.

FirstandEllen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2007, 5:22 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I tried it, without any luck. I didn't think anyone chose me. I was left to buy another £5.00 drink or something. It was a very depressing evening out.

I found it very depressing as well!! I just felt like, god, I don't fit in anywhere (this was pre-finding out I have AS), and I don't like being alone but doing something like that is so much worse. I don't know if anyone chose me, but I didn't choose anyone.

calandale wrote:

Punk died in the 80's. :P

If that was the case, I would have, too.

sinsboldly wrote:

(If I could crank my face up to raise an eyebrow, I would. . .)

I may live in Oregon, but I have lived in Boston, as well, and I will stay in Oregon, thank you very much. Tell me what 'crust' is. . .you know we were the nexus of 'grunge'.

Merle

Oh no way was that a dis on Oregon!! Oregon is beautiful. I played a show in Medford and ended up staying in Talent and fell in love wiht it. The neighborhood we stayed in was kind of trashy but there were mountains in every direction and it was just gorgeous! A friend of mine ended up staying there too and said the same thing. And the punk kids there had their own wrestling league- that blew my mind. It was my favorite stop on the whole US tour!

Crust punk, well, I don't know the exact history but it's like 80s UK hardcore punk but very fast, with more d-beats (double-speed bass drum) and usually has a lot of distortion. There is some overlap with grindcore, and some people consider it anarcho-punk. I think the godfathers were a UK band called Doom in the 80s, if you don't go back to Napalm Death, who pretty much prefigured any music remotely like that, and I always associated bands like Crossed Out and Neanderthal with it, but now that's called "power violence" (crazy kids these days).

Anyway, Portland is a kind of mecca for kids who like it. The problem is many of the kids who like it think it's cool to never shower or change clothes and live in squats, possibly be junkies, and talk a lot about very left wing politics and "not selling out." Some do live their ideals and are really very hard-working activists, or put a lot of energy into bands, but much of the time they are full of hot air and just worried about whom they can criticize for not being like them. They can tend to have warped views of anarchism, like it means it's OK to steal whatever you want.

There are some reasonable crustpunks but sadly what I describe is the growing majority. It's less in vogue than it was in the 90s, and I have noticed people just use the word crust a lot less. I have seen bands called crust bands by non-crusties, and crusty kids will just call the same band hardcore.

And LOL on the speeding ticket analogy and the, well, the other jokes!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 8:09 pm

My older brother recommended this to me. Definitely not for me. (Of course, neither is ANY kind of dating :? )

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 8:31 pm

FirstandEllen wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

I found it very depressing as well!! I just felt like, god, I don't fit in anywhere (this was pre-finding out I have AS), and I don't like being alone but doing something like that is so much worse. I don't know if anyone chose me, but I didn't choose anyone.

calandale wrote:

Punk died in the 80's. :P

If that was the case, I would have, too.

sinsboldly wrote:

(If I could crank my face up to raise an eyebrow, I would. . .)

I may live in Oregon, but I have lived in Boston, as well, and I will stay in Oregon, thank you very much. Tell me what 'crust' is. . .you know we were the nexus of 'grunge'.

Merle

Oh no way was that a dis on Oregon!! Oregon is beautiful. I played a show in Medford and ended up staying in Talent and fell in love wiht it. The neighborhood we stayed in was kind of trashy but there were mountains in every direction and it was just gorgeous! A friend of mine ended up staying there too and said the same thing. And the punk kids there had their own wrestling league- that blew my mind. It was my favorite stop on the whole US tour!
!

My gawd! I drive past the Craterarian Ginger Roger's Theatre in Medford on my way home from work! I hope you got to go down to Ashland ( it's Medford, Phoenix, Talent then Ashland on the I-5 corridor there) where the oldest Shakesperian Theatre in the US is! There are at least 15 legitimate theatre companies between Medford and Ashland! Talent is pretty low rent, it is true, but lots of Theatre people are starting to Gentrify it!

I am an Applegator, living out beyond Jacksonville in the Syskiyous mountians to the West. I went to college in Ashland at Southern Oregon University. You can come back and visit me anytime! :wink:

Space
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 3:59 am

I've had some friends who've done it, they said it was ok.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 8:56 am

The idea certainly doesn't appeal to me at all because I don't like to be hurried or shift around once I'm nicely settled in a chair.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:16 am

Pandora wrote:
The idea certainly doesn't appeal to me at all because I don't like to be hurried or shift around once I'm nicely settled in a chair.

Ya, I think Aspies just shut down once they're socially pushed beyond a certain level of emotional discomfort.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:19 am

Speed-anything is usually bad news for me.

The only benefit I guess is having the mass of people that you know are looking for a relationship...

But considering first impressions aren't my greatest... I am not going to go near an event like this.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 2:26 pm

Pandora wrote:

I don't know that the women have to
move.

FirstandEllen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2007, 8:26 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

My gawd! I drive past the Craterarian Ginger Roger's Theatre in Medford on my way home from work! I hope you got to go down to Ashland ( it's Medford, Phoenix, Talent then Ashland on the I-5 corridor there) where the oldest Shakesperian Theatre in the US is! There are at least 15 legitimate theatre companies between Medford and Ashland! Talent is pretty low rent, it is true, but lots of Theatre people are starting to Gentrify it!

I am an Applegator, living out beyond Jacksonville in the Syskiyous mountians to the West. I went to college in Ashland at Southern Oregon University. You can come back and visit me anytime! :wink:

Aw, thanks!! You are too kind!! :D Certainly let me know if you find yourslef coming back for a visit to Boston. No, I did not have time to go to that theater. We got drunk and watched guys wrestle and then got on the road the next day. Sounds awesome though. I'm actually sorry to hear Talent is gentrifying, it ruled just as it was.

FirstandEllen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2007, 8:29 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Pandora wrote:

Ya, I think Aspies just shut down once they're socially pushed beyond a certain level of emotional discomfort.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the moving aspect of it was pretty awful (everyone had to move when I went, and the place was too small!). I didn't expect that and since I have gotten pretty good at some kinds of incidental chatter, I didn't expect to feel awkward either but it hit like a ton of bricks when it started.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 4:01 am

FirstandEllen wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Pandora wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot, the moving aspect of it was pretty awful (everyone had to move when I went, and the place was too small!). I didn't expect that and since I have gotten pretty good at some kinds of incidental chatter, I didn't expect to feel awkward either but it hit like a ton of bricks when it started.
Yes, once I'm settled, I don't like to move and if I were having an enjoyable conversation with somebody I would not like them to move after 8 minutes or whatever. I think it would be horrible but it could suit the more gregarious people.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

Yes, and it bothered me terribly. Most of the men were ITs who never had sex, who wanted to touch my boobs, or made snarky commentaries about my job (I was a journalist). Most of the guys there treated me like if I was a good, like a milk, bread or something they can buy every day. Had no respect or me. Some also negatively commented on my looks (like what would they change aboutme, which kind of appaled me), but they were themselves very unattractive. One guy totally pissed off the Aspie/geek side of me when he took in his hands my pendant. It was a replica of Arwen´s elf pendant from Lord of the rings, very expensive, with Swarowski elements. And he was like: "Who made it? You did?" Ignorant little ***! So in general, when I compared THEM with normal people I meet every day on the street, the latter of them came of it much better. I would rather date somebody who would ask me on the street or pub, then come to a speed date again.