Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:55 pm

https://www.polonist.com/uszka-dumplings/ That tortellini resembles to me the Polish uszka pierogi :D Their name does mean "little ears". We also have the dish named gołąbki in Poland - literally "little pigeons" :D :twisted: And they also do resemble the bodies of said birds, with cabbage leaves wrapped around them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go%C5%82%C4%85bki We had those today for dinner :D You wouldn't guess how many Polish children believe gołąbki are indeed the dead, cooked pigeons.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2022, 1:19 pm

I don't know what counts as odd sensory issues.

I hate 'greasy' textiles like velvet, silk.

I enjoy grinding my jaw bones together.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 3:31 pm

Ah, and one thing more - I can't stand louder sounds. But that's already all.

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

Soggy cornflakes make me gag, as does soggy bread or soggy Yorkshire puddings, yet I like soggy wheetabix.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2022, 8:20 pm

Stickers on products and fruit, on bra straps (that disgusting quality control sticker that was wedged between the parts of the strap where you adjust; disgusting!! !), little stickers or sticky labels on anything you can buy at a store. They must come off. I won't let my fingers come in contact with them. Eeeuuuwww!

I HATE the slurpy, wet, sloshy sound of people kissing on TV. Revolting.

I hate lip to lip kissing. I find it repulsive. If I go on a date, he's going to know this ahead of time. If it breaks the date, that's fine with me.

My stomach will literally turn, gag reflex, if I look at drool from a baby or dog.

I hate looking directly at most animals' eyes, particularly crocs, gators, frogs, insects, but have no problem drilling my eyes smack into another human's.

I hate the sound of kids shrieking, squealing or screaming while playing.

I hate odd sounding laughs or people who constantly giggle.

I hate the site of tumbleweeds under a car or other motor vehicle; will refuse to look.

I don't just remove clothing tags, but I have to trim them down (with toenail clippers) as close as possible before there's the chance of cutting into the clothes.

Hate when the edge of a door (the skinny part) is facing directly at me such that I can't see either side of the door. I must move the door so that I can see one of its sides. If I notice this after sitting on the toilet to poop, I'll actually get up after only half the poop to move the door, then return to the toilet and finish the poop.

There's more weird ones; I'll surely think of some after I hit "submit"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 8:26 pm

You see open doors when you poop? 8O

I can't stand hearing or feeling anyone's heartbeat.
If my head is on my partner's chest I have to be on the other side to avoid the thump.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 9:06 pm

I always lay my hand on the outside of the airplane when boarding.
It's a weird good luck thing I've done my whole life.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 9:54 pm

When someone is cooking with onions I get a depressed, lethargic feeling. Smell sensitivity seems to be common in ASD, but the feeling it causes for me doesn't seem to be common.

Claustrophobia causes nausea. I looked this one up and found a list of 16 symptoms of Claustrophobia.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 11:25 pm

I tend to be the opposite of many with autism as I dislike heavy/constricting things around/on my torso. Maybe odd for autism. I like swimming underwater, though (outside of the dark depths, as that sets off the claustrophobia). I'm alright with being held, which will be odd when the constricting things bother me. :?

I dislike the feeling of hair. I don't think it's all that odd in the context of autism, though.

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2022, 3:41 am

I hate looking at black holes, not the astronomical type, black holes in anything.
There's a black hole in my bathroom wall, where the previous owner put a pipe, they remind me of lost things, things taken away, missing things.
I don't like the grim reaper when he has no face, just blackness.
I don't like dead mobile phones when they are off, as they look like black mirrors.
I don't like train windows when trains go through tunnels as they go black.
I am sure it's something to do with childhood, I do art and I make nice images, then paint a black hole in the middle.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2022, 9:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You see open doors when you poop? 8O

I can't stand hearing or feeling anyone's heartbeat.
If my head is on my partner's chest I have to be on the other side to avoid the thump.

This is when I'm at home by myself. So yes, the door is open.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2022, 9:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I always lay my hand on the outside of the airplane when boarding.
It's a weird good luck thing I've done my whole life.

Doing "weird things" for good luck or to prevent something bad from happening is OCD. In autism doing "weird things" is done either for self-regulation, self-soothing, anxiety/stress, because it feels relaxing or good, or for no known reason. I used to have a minor degree of OCD behaviors, but I have a host of stims which just kick up for no known reason most of the time, like right now I'm chewing on my tongue as I type this.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2022, 9:19 am

Dillogic wrote:
I tend to be the opposite of many with autism as I dislike heavy/constricting things around/on my torso. Maybe odd for autism. I like swimming underwater, though (outside of the dark depths, as that sets off the claustrophobia). I'm alright with being held, which will be odd when the constricting things bother me. :?

I dislike the feeling of hair. I don't think it's all that odd in the context of autism, though.

My hair is a major, major stim. I love feeling it. I'm also rather obsessed with big full ponytails. I've actually asked a few strangers if I could FEEL their ponytail. Ahhhh, I loved every moment. I first compliment them to see how they respond. If they're very friendly, those are the ones I ask. Right now I can only independently recall two people I asked to feel their ponytail, but there was a woman I saw at a restaurant in the lobby with the most massive head of hair (it was down) I'd ever seen, and I could tell it was natural. I approached her, complimented, saw that she was friendly, and asked to feel it.

I'm a middle age, college degreed entrepreneur acting this way!! !

Kyaegha
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2022, 5:45 pm

Socks and/or shoes, dishwater, showers. Sweat, any squashy foods.
Strong smells of any sort. I've been known to run crying through the perfume section in the mall.
Any tight clothing is just a big fat nope.
And hair. Lord, how I hate my hair.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:58 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Odd sensory issues;

I cannot stand certain subtle "shaking" (whether it's physical or visual or even as a 'scent') to a point I cannot play Minecraft for more than 10 minutes without getting sick.

I can handle extreme rumbling or high speed shaking, but not when it's moving by less than inches and slow or supposedly gentle for some reason.

With earplugs... I hate the sound of my breathing. Possibly the closest thing I have for a misophonia.
It's 'heavier' and more overwhelming than the background noise of traffic and loud music.

Probably because it reminds me of my already messed up breathing, which I hate and frustrated over for most of my life.

So if I have to wear earplugs...
Either my breathing has to be clear and slow without any obstructions, or it's loud and overwhelming and sneezing never helps.

This may not be unusual. People generally tolerate a hard-riding car except for irritation. Soft riding ones without good dampers are likely to cause nausea. Ships at sea have even slower oscillations, giving your inner ear time to follow the motion, and never settle down. People have died from seasickness.

You can't die from motion/sea sickness... stop trying to frighten people

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:45 am

I can't stand "dry" textures/things, like paper, flour, etc. I used to put my sleeves over my hands when I wrote so I wouldn't touch paper, and refused to read books that didn't have those laminated pages as a really little kid. I also used to spit on my hands as a kid a lot to prevent them from being dry, because I couldn't even move my fingers or close my hands without wanting to freak out at my dry skin touching itself... Now I just use a lot of lotion, all the time, because that's less gross and doesn't dry out my skin more. lmao