Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:03 am

I don't know if my motion sickness is worse than average. I feel sick within seconds if I try to read in a car. Incidentally, motion sickness is said to be caused by the body and the eyes reporting different information to the brain about the body's movements - so if you read in a car then the eyes say you're not moving but your body says you are. Apparently that's an evolutionary thing to make you puke, because in more primitive times, when eyes and body disagreed it probably meant you'd eaten something poisonous. That's supposed to be why it's useful to look out of the window.

The slightest touch of hair or cloth on my skin can set me itching, though that condition waxes and wanes, and seems to respond well to large doses of CBD.

My comfortable ambient temperature range is often very narrow, sometimes so narrow that I'm too hot and too cold at the same time. Again, CBD seems to ease that.

Some kinds of noises probably bother me more than they'd bother most people. Part of the reason is that it breaks my focus when I'm thinking, and I also can't easily pick out spoken words when there's significant background noise.

I'm probably more sensitive to minor aches and pains than most people. It's hard for me to "screen out" such things, and I tend to focus on them although I don't want to.

So, nothing very unusual for an Aspie, and I would think NTs also often have my sensory problems, only to a lesser degree. So maybe mine don't qualify as very odd.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:54 am

I have an issue with soggy food. I eat my cereal dry, cake and ice cream must be on opposite sides of the plate and sandwiches must be eaten right after being made. If food gets soggy, it will activate my gag reflex. However, I love stuffing. Go figure. I detest the sound of vertical blinds crashing into each other or any noise when it should be quiet. Feet on pillows, hell no. Some strong perfumes are so caustic they burn my eyes and mucus membranes. I don't tolerate other strong odors as well like garlic (makes me angry) and body odor (revulsion).

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

Touch issues:
- terrycloth
- seams on socks
- tags on shirts
- cardboard

Food issues:
- sticky food eaten with hands, especially if there is no place to wash after
- uniformly soft textures in food (homogenous soups, scrambled eggs, sometimes sushi)
- Food "fashions" that are gross but get picked up by every restaurant. For example oversalting desserts, putting sugar on hollandaise, or adding a blob of siracha or siracha and mayo on top of any food that could be considered vaguely Asian-inspired. I suspect these trends just perpetuate because they are trendy, not because they are especially delicious. When one happens that I hate there is no escaping it. I can't eat. I often wonder if NTs do this just to advertise their keen abilities to fall in line with one another at the drop of a hat.

Sound issues:
- anything that is suddenly or consistently loud, unless it is low frequency.
- people singing karaoke with the original singer's voice playing behind them :x
- People who leave the radio on in the car and then try to have a conversation with me over it.

Visual issues:
- I can't stop sneezing sometimes when I walk outside and it's really bright. I'll sometimes sneeze more than 5 or 6 times intensely. I even pulled a muscle once. Sunglasses are a must outdoors for me.
- I hate when I am asked out on a date to bars or restaurants with too many TVs in them. How do you expect me to pay attention to a romantic conversation with a distraction in every corner that I could possibly face?
- Faces. When people change their hair or eyebrows or wear eye makeup I often don't know who they are. It happened with my own sister once. :lol:

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:45 am

im sensitive to the cold more so than the heat even during this heatwave

Octomato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2022, 11:39 am

I don't like the smell of fish or perfumes.
I don't like the taste of fish either, I'll eat most food or at least tolerate them but fish gives me a gag reflex the textures terrible. I have sensory issues over almost every kind of clothing and it's very hard for me to find something comfortable. I can't even ware jeans or sweat pants anymore it's like it gets worse with age its confusing.
socks are terrible, and their seems drive me mad I don't wear socks I wear sandals until winter and that's how I manage. As a child I remember screaming/biting when people would try to put me into certain close because I hated the texture and of course nobody listened it sucked to because my communication skills lacked in finding the correct words for people to understand the problem so that may be apart of why they didn't stop but ugh really? I don't like knitted textures, or rough fabrics my grandmother makes me a lot of quilts and they all collect dust in my storage closet I hate them they feel terrible. When I was a baby if you put me on grass I'd cry, i'm okay with it now for a short time span.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2022, 9:39 am

Octomato wrote:
I don't like the smell of fish or perfumes.
I don't like the taste of fish either, I'll eat most food or at least tolerate them but fish gives me a gag reflex the textures terrible. I have sensory issues over almost every kind of clothing and it's very hard for me to find something comfortable. I can't even ware jeans or sweat pants anymore it's like it gets worse with age its confusing.
socks are terrible, and their seems drive me mad I don't wear socks I wear sandals until winter and that's how I manage. As a child I remember screaming/biting when people would try to put me into certain close because I hated the texture and of course nobody listened it sucked to because my communication skills lacked in finding the correct words for people to understand the problem so that may be apart of why they didn't stop but ugh really? I don't like knitted textures, or rough fabrics my grandmother makes me a lot of quilts and they all collect dust in my storage closet I hate them they feel terrible. When I was a baby if you put me on grass I'd cry, i'm okay with it now for a short time span.

I find the straps of sandals so irritating I never wear the things. Visually: peoples' feet. Unless a woman has a nice pedicure, looking at raw feet is disgusting, especially a man's feet. Don't people who wear sandals in public realize how disgusting their feet look? Dirty overgrown toenails, fungus, yellow thick nails, scaly skin, etc. I'm not sure this is an autism thing as much as just some people think exposed feet in public is very uncouth, unless nicely pedictured with nail polish. Of course, men don't pedicure their feet, and are the worst offendors. Gross.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 2:13 pm

Foods that shatter when you bite into them, like the seeds in passion fruit...no thank you.

When people bite down on a metal spoon. The sound or even the thought of teeth against metal...makes me wanna die. This applies more to spoons than to other metal cutlery - forks and knives are relatively flat and don't make such a racket against teeth, if any noise at all. Spoons are...spoon shaped...and have all that edge the whole way around, catching so many teeth all around your mouth at once...

GhostlyM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm

When I was young, I couldn't stand 1% milk. That pretty much always made me gag. I was also pretty much avoided milk because it never tasted the same and I didn't like surprises. My milk (and my water) also needed to be at an exact and constant temperature. It couldn't be colder at some place and hotter at others. I absolutely hate drinking from a metal bottle too. I taste the metal.
I smelt lavender once and made me feel a glitching sensation in my brain.
I tried once watermelon with prosciutto ham and that wasn't fun. I tried once old cheese that made me gag too. Basically, I didn't want to try new things and when they were surprising me, I was rejecting it.
What's weird with those sensory issues is that now I don't have any problem with them anymore. It's just basically the surprise that was overpowering my reactions and after, I learnt to accept those sensations - possibly by masking.
I can't stand tomatoes, both for their texture and the acidity. And both together it's just... Aaah!...
Sometimes I have some difficulty with flour and some paper - particularily with flyer paper and similar papers.
I'm all the time naked to not be boxers and pants - I feel squeezed, possibly because I have bigger hips than a typical male. Which I still appreciate because I don't have to worry about bringing a belt everywhere I go.
I can't stand coton clothing for my T shirts. It's suffocating in there. But my favourite bed sheets are hotter than cotton and I can endure it. I also can wear like 3 layers in -5°C. Maybe it's the feeling and temperature of the cotton on my body directly.
Are they odd enough? :lol:

The_tick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2022, 11:59 pm

Yeah I'm with you styrofoam is terrible that squeak!! ! I also hate the feel of cotton balls.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:27 am

I have a lot of sensory sensitivities but an odd one for me is that I am very movement sensitive. I can be very sensitive to how other people move their bodies. For example, someone who uses a lot hand gestures when speaking can make me become vey weak and I can have a lot of difficulty functioning because it's too overwhelming for me.

Wreck It Ralph

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 11:34 am

I cannot stand to hear certain words. Some cultures I grew up around (love all people BTW) have certain smells and even hygiene choices that make me absolutely sick. I hate being touched by people in general but I crave being aggressively manhandled by particular people. That's a tough one because its important to maintain boundaries. I cannot handle medium-large moths...even typing the word is difficult, they and other flying bugs or too much sensory-wise. My family doesn't understand how difficult and embarrassing it is. I almost jumped out of a moving car once over it. My job requires greeting passing public. The job is so awesome, but its excruciating having people pass you and look at you. And customers can be nasty anyways. If I think of more I'll adf them. Feels good to vent :wink:

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 11:43 am

Fern wrote:
Touch issues:
- terrycloth
- seams on socks
- tags on shirts
- cardboard

Food issues:
- sticky food eaten with hands, especially if there is no place to wash after
- uniformly soft textures in food (homogenous soups, scrambled eggs, sometimes sushi)
- Food "fashions" that are gross but get picked up by every restaurant. For example oversalting desserts, putting sugar on hollandaise, or adding a blob of siracha or siracha and mayo on top of any food that could be considered vaguely Asian-inspired. I suspect these trends just perpetuate because they are trendy, not because they are especially delicious. When one happens that I hate there is no escaping it. I can't eat. I often wonder if NTs do this just to advertise their keen abilities to fall in line with one another at the drop of a hat.

Sound issues:
- anything that is suddenly or consistently loud, unless it is low frequency.
- people singing karaoke with the original singer's voice playing behind them :x
- People who leave the radio on in the car and then try to have a conversation with me over it.

Visual issues:
- I can't stop sneezing sometimes when I walk outside and it's really bright. I'll sometimes sneeze more than 5 or 6 times intensely. I even pulled a muscle once. Sunglasses are a must outdoors for me.
- I hate when I am asked out on a date to bars or restaurants with too many TVs in them. How do you expect me to pay attention to a romantic conversation with a distraction in every corner that I could possibly face?
- Faces. When people change their hair or eyebrows or wear eye makeup I often don't know who they are. It happened with my own sister once. :lol:

Oh my goodness I'm with on the seams in socks. What about if there's a ball of loose cloth from the seam that loosens when you're walking...it must come out immediately.
I eat eggs but yes the texture, especially undercooked, is gross! All dairy is on the sense with me because it can tastes good but can spoil so easily and just...yuck lol.
I can't stand listening to music with my headphones and somebody starts singing something next to me.
And I can't stand when my relative hums. She's so sweet, but I feel like she hums and "dee-dum-dee-dum"'s just to fill dead space of to cover up a tense moment. It makes my skin crawl.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 11:51 am

Vocal fry while talking

Body fluids and crusty nasty debris on eyes, mouth and nose. Deal breakers.

Excessive throat clearing

Cartoons, fake talking

Someone mentioned over loud sudden noises. There's a "fx" something that comes on before some movies that starts quit and just slides into this loud note. That company needs to be sued lol jk.

When I see something gross...I cannot stop thinking about it. I try mantras, thinking of other things...sometimes I can't eat.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 12:01 pm

SpiralingCrow wrote:
I have an issue with soggy food. I eat my cereal dry, cake and ice cream must be on opposite sides of the plate and sandwiches must be eaten right after being made. If food gets soggy, it will activate my gag reflex. However, I love stuffing. Go figure. I detest the sound of vertical blinds crashing into each other or any noise when it should be quiet. Feet on pillows, hell no. Some strong perfumes are so caustic they burn my eyes and mucus membranes. I don't tolerate other strong odors as well like garlic (makes me angry) and body odor (revulsion).

Its so weird because so many people can eat soggy food...its disgusting. I'm with you on stuffing. I think its because its intended to have that texture. Its not a result of over saturation he he. What about very dry breads like *caibatta?* and angel food? They don't seem to break down as fast. They're like sponges

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 12:06 pm

Elgee wrote:
Stickers on products and fruit, on bra straps (that disgusting quality control sticker that was wedged between the parts of the strap where you adjust; disgusting!! !), little stickers or sticky labels on anything you can buy at a store. They must come off. I won't let my fingers come in contact with them. Eeeuuuwww!

I HATE the slurpy, wet, sloshy sound of people kissing on TV. Revolting.

I hate lip to lip kissing. I find it repulsive. If I go on a date, he's going to know this ahead of time. If it breaks the date, that's fine with me.

My stomach will literally turn, gag reflex, if I look at drool from a baby or dog.

I hate looking directly at most animals' eyes, particularly crocs, gators, frogs, insects, but have no problem drilling my eyes smack into another human's.

I hate the sound of kids shrieking, squealing or screaming while playing.

I hate odd sounding laughs or people who constantly giggle.

I hate the site of tumbleweeds under a car or other motor vehicle; will refuse to look.

I don't just remove clothing tags, but I have to trim them down (with toenail clippers) as close as possible before there's the chance of cutting into the clothes.

Hate when the edge of a door (the skinny part) is facing directly at me such that I can't see either side of the door. I must move the door so that I can see one of its sides. If I notice this after sitting on the toilet to poop, I'll actually get up after only half the poop to move the door, then return to the toilet and finish the poop.

There's more weird ones; I'll surely think of some after I hit "submit"

Especially the stocks that tear when you try to me move them. And that residue that is left.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
Elgee wrote:
Stickers on products and fruit, on bra straps (that disgusting quality control sticker that was wedged between the parts of the strap where you adjust; disgusting!! !), little stickers or sticky labels on anything you can buy at a store. They must come off. I won't let my fingers come in contact with them. Eeeuuuwww!

I HATE the slurpy, wet, sloshy sound of people kissing on TV. Revolting.

I hate lip to lip kissing. I find it repulsive. If I go on a date, he's going to know this ahead of time. If it breaks the date, that's fine with me.

My stomach will literally turn, gag reflex, if I look at drool from a baby or dog.

I hate looking directly at most animals' eyes, particularly crocs, gators, frogs, insects, but have no problem drilling my eyes smack into another human's.

I hate the sound of kids shrieking, squealing or screaming while playing.

I hate odd sounding laughs or people who constantly giggle.

I hate the site of tumbleweeds under a car or other motor vehicle; will refuse to look.

I don't just remove clothing tags, but I have to trim them down (with toenail clippers) as close as possible before there's the chance of cutting into the clothes.

Hate when the edge of a door (the skinny part) is facing directly at me such that I can't see either side of the door. I must move the door so that I can see one of its sides. If I notice this after sitting on the toilet to poop, I'll actually get up after only half the poop to move the door, then return to the toilet and finish the poop.

There's more weird ones; I'll surely think of some after I hit "submit"

Especially the stocks that tear when you try to me move them. And that residue that is left.

One more comment on the giggling...you are so right. When people constantly giggle after a sentence, I want to shove a pie in their face..."giggle at that!" :lol: