L & D - To What Extent Can We Discuss Gender Differences?

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:22 am

I've never had that said to me, actually......

But I've heard other men tell me this.

I make darn sure I don't ogle women.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:53 am

All in all, we should create an atmosphere where women could express their discontents without being told that they "have it easier," simply because this is not the case.

Men should listen to women....and women should listen to men, too. And we should all listen to non-binaries.

All genders shouldn't make assumptions about a person of any gender. This applies to everyone.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:59 am

I think that this is what appropriate rules will help achieve, not that perfection exists.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2022, 8:47 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Discussions centred around which gender has it better or worse at dating serve no useful purpose, and only divide people. I agree with the ruling to ban such discussions.

But it seems like we're now also not allowed to talk about differing average outcomes between heterosexual men and women as it relates to dating, and the reasons for those differences and trends, as doing so can be perceived by some as a "which gender has it better?" discussion.

So my question is, where is the line between examining and acknowledging social trends and different outcomes that come from them, and breaking this rule?

For instance, in response to somebody asserting that both genders have similar experiences with online dating, am I not allowed to say things like on average, the online dating profiles of one gender tend to receive more messages and engagement than that of the other gender? Even if I have reputably sourced data to substantiate that claim?

And if I'm not allowed to do that, how do I voice my disagreement with that claim? Do I have to just stay silent and let the other person's assertion go unchallenged despite it being incorrect?

Am I not allowed to talk about how one gender is disproportionately impacted by all manners of domestic and sexual abuse in relation to the other?

Am I not allowed to talk about a study that found the virginity rates for young adults of one gender are drastically rising compared to that of members of the other gender?

Can I not talk about how one gender tends to get shamed for virginity while the other tends to get shamed for promiscuity?

At what point does examining differing average outcomes between genders become a "who has it better" discussion?

Where is that line?

Lots of good insights.

I admit it serves no good purpose to make a blanket statement "A certain gender has it easier/harder 100% of the time."

That being said, I think a lot of the drama on here (regarding the topic of "who has it better" when it comes to dating) stems from misunderstandings. Not once on this forum have I ever said "the ladies have it easier." However, some of my posts have been misinterpreted to where a poster thinks I'm saying "the ladies have it easier."

I've seen other posters get words put in their mouth too (where they get falsely accused of saying "ladies have it easier," even though they said nothing of the sort)

As you pointed out, certain dating-related issues affect the genders differently. It's hard to discuss dating without these facts coming up. When a poster says their gender struggles more in a certain aspect of dating, they're not saying the opposite sex has it easier in every aspect of dating. Nor are they saying the opposite sex never struggles in that specific aspect.

A lot of the infighting on here would vanish if posters would take posts at face value (and stop reading between the lines)