Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

e.2007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2022, 4:20 am

hi f/15 i think im autistic because i have all the traits. i didnt realise it until recently when my mum suggested i get tested. it upset me loads and i had some sort of episode and ran away, the feds were looking for me and everything. when i calmed down i researched what it actually is and i passed all the online tests. i dont know if i should get the diagnosis or not. i dont know my friends would react because i think ive been subconciously masking ever since i started my new school. theyll be very shocked because when they hear autism they think of kieran who stims loads in class, has tantrums, and threatens girls with knives. i dont want peple to see me like him. any advice?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:40 am

Welcome to WP.

You wish to hold off telling people as it is not infrequent that people will not understand what a label means and it can cause confusion. If you mention something, you may wish to describe it as a characteristic rather than a label. For example, "You have to excuse me, sometimes my attention gets so focused that I do not notice other things."

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 9:49 am

"I have a touch of Autism...mainly it means _____"
(fill in the blank with the most visible and harmless trait you can think of)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 10:12 am

In the United States, only client diagnosed before age 18 eligible for Regional Center services.

According to your post you are not in the United States

However the country you live in might have similar policies

Also, testing accommodations and work accommodations

You don't have to disclose your diagnosis to classmates. However they might find out other ways

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2022, 12:29 pm

They have feds in the UK?

Anyway, don't tell your friends. There, problem solved.
If something is a problem, you can express this without using the autism label, for example, "I am really sensitive to smells and this gives me a headache," or "Please turn down your music, it is interfering with my ability to concentrate on my homework."

Good luck.