Can a moderate functioning autistic person live independentl

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 5:38 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I'm sorta the same as firemonkey, and my HFA + Schizophrenia combo likely makes me akin to a moderately functioning autistic. I'll always be independent, albeit quite poor, but that's alright.

A disability pension keeps me fed and the bills paid. The roof, I lucked out on.

I should've replied to you earlier. Sorry about that. I'm doing better since I moved to be near my(s) daughter and grandchildren. On hindsight I'd been self neglecting at my last place, but not to the level of being an immediate risk to myself or others. Hence I got sod all support.The support I get now helps a lot.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:57 am

^ I seem to get by, I guess. I have to help someone more disabled than I am (I guess low-functioning fits). I try to keep on top of everything, which takes up most of my time and energy. The only thing I probably neglect is myself, but that might just be my personality in the end.

Independent, but abnormally so.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 3:58 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
It probably depends on exactly what things you struggle with and your definition of “living independently.” For this purpose, I’m not sure it really matters what’s due to what, I’d just try to identify what you can manage well enough yourself, what you have trouble with, and if/how you could try to improve on the latter. You can also try to find work-arounds for some things, different ways to approach things that might make them less of a problem for you. Finding “coping mechanisms” to reduce/manage things like stress, anxiety, and loneliness is also important. Even if it’s not possible now, you may be able to improve and manage at least some level of independence.

I was diagnosed before they had the “leveling” system, I would classify myself as moderately-functioning. I have my own apartment and manage everyday tasks like cooking and cleaning fine, but I rely heavily on my parents for pretty much everything outside the house. I’m at the awkward place where I’m not disabled enough to qualify for much in the way of outside support, but too disabled to make do without. I can’t manage a job, most require more social interaction than I’m reliably capable of and/or skills or abilities I do not have. I’m on SSI, but what I get would barely cover rent for a low-end apartment even before bills, groceries, etc. (the sort of place where you get roommates of the more-than-two-legged variety and are treated like a piece of gum the landlord stepped on and is trying to get off their shoe), I’m fortunate enough to be in a position where my parents are able and willing to provide enough money to make ends meet at a halfway decent but not pricy place. I can’t drive and there’s not much in the way of public transportation in my area, so I rely on my parents for transportation as well. Usually I go grocery shopping with my mom. It’s extremely hard for me to speak understandably over the phone (often I’m hard to understand even in person), so my parents manage things like making appointments. I live alone (except for my dog), but I’m still heavily dependent. But it still grants me more freedom than I had before, and personally, I actually do better with some level of isolation. I’ve long since gotten past the point where I actually desire much social interaction, and I’m not being constantly bombarded by everything indirectly telling me how worthless and pathetic I am. I wasn’t consciously aware of just how many things send that message every day until I was finally free of them. And it took me until age 28 to get this far. And it took me until age 28 to get this far.

As for diagnosis, I think with moderate ASD, it’s usually apparent early on that something is “different” or “off,” but isn’t necessarily identified early. That really depends on how self-aware you are, the mindset of the people around you (whether they’re willing to believe there’s a legitimate reason you are truly incapable of meeting NT expectations, or if they’re convinced it’s only because you’re not trying hard enough, simply don’t want to do things, etc.), and most importantly, how much you, those around you, and any sort of person who might give a diagnosis actually know about autism. ASD is very diverse even among people with the same diagnosis, and even professionals are not always well-educated about it. Misdiagnosis and/or missed diagnosis can still happen. And for me, it became much more apparent with changing life situations. I was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome in fourth grade, but I fell further and further behind at every sort of transition (elementary school to middle school, high school to college, college to trying to find a job, etc.). And I still got the “No, you just don’t want to/don’t care” mindset from my parents even after diagnosis because they thought that it really only meant that I’m shy, smart, and don’t like loud noises (fortunately they later learned, but I grew up having such shouted at me (even in those words) every time I didn’t meet their expectations). I did fine in school largely because I had the stereotypical Aspie memory up until some point in high school, where I lost it, and I tend more toward shutdowns than meltdowns, but I couldn’t meet expectations besides getting good grades as they piled up. Whether the effects of my autism have gotten worse with age or simply became more apparent, I expect that if I was re-assessed today, I would be diagnosed with ASD level 2.

EXCERPT from from your post, 'the awkward place where I’m not disabled enough to qualify for much in the way of outside support, but too disabled to make do without' "hits the nail on the head" regarding the challenges familiar with many WP members.

Yet, after conducting a WP search for the term,'not disabled enough' I was surprised to find that most WP content mentioning 'not disabled enough' were my WP posts.

Those three words, 'not disabled enough' cuts through alot of confusion regarding the experiences of High Functioning Autism. Yet, again, (almost) no mentions of those three words...............'not disabled enough' here on WP. Why?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 4:24 pm

im moderate but i can function independently

i didnt speak until i was 8

my autism symptoms are complex and not stereotypical but still make me different and struggle at some things

but i am married and have a son and a job driving buses

but my husband is really understanding and even he has been burnt out by my autism symptoms and had to stay elsewhere for a few weeks

but my meltdowns can affect my functioning

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 8:00 pm

I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism at the age of 5 and a half. I was diagnosed with Depression, Psychosis and Anxiety at the age of 23. My mental health issues bring my functioning down to a Level 2. I'm able to live live independently. I can cook, do laundry, I pay my bills over the Internet. I have to be on top of my housework every morning or else it would never get done. I need assistance looking for a job. I'm unable to do the social networking and cold calls. My gender dysphoria also makes things difficult. I am getting out more than I used to, though.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 2:27 pm

As others have suggested, a lot depends on the individual Aspie and their particular environment.

On paper I'm a moderate-functioning autistic person (my diagnostic scores were about halfway between NT and as strongly ASD as it's possible to be), and by most measures it could reasonably be said that I've lived independently all my life (I somehow ended up with good qualifications at school, I was rarely unemployed and have always had enough money for the basics, managed my own finances, rarely partnerless, never had to resort to a caregiver, mainly been an owner-occupier, fair physical/mental health and personal hygeine, never had to resort to antidepressants, only taken sedatives once and they had no noticeable effect, usually had at least one or two friends).

But who knows how accurately my DX measured the severity of my ASD? It all seemed rather subjective and self-assessed, and I was only assessed once, which a scientist might say isn't really conclusive, so I can't be certain I'm moderately-functioning.

As for living independently, I see myself as rather like a raft - i.e. very hard to sink but my feet are always wet. Most of those things in that list of evidence of independent living ability I often only achieved by the skin of my teeth, those things have very often felt very precarious, and I've often felt pretty scared or miserable. Also, I think my environment often threw me a lucky break when I most needed it.

So all in all, I don't think there's a definitive "yes or no" answer to the question, and although superficially my own experiences suggest the answer is "yes," when you look deeper into the matter they're only weak evidence that a moderately-functioning autistic person can live independently.

SUMMARY: I don't know.