Page 1 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:31 pm

Do you agree that even if a person is nice and has a good heart there 'looks' can make them either likeable or unlikeable? Call it the 'halo effect' if you want to.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm

Looks can help, a lot. But a good heart shines through.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm

Appearances are usually the first things that are used to determine the likability of a person.  Personality usually comes second, followed closely by material aspects like employment, possessions, and wealth.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm

Usually, if someone strikes me as unusually attractive or unusually unattractive, I remind myself not to judge them on that alone. If someone also acts unkind, though, that's about it for me--I don't care how good-looking they might be!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:52 pm

KimD wrote:
Usually, if someone strikes me as unusually attractive or unusually unattractive, I remind myself not to judge them on that alone. If someone also acts unkind, though, that's about it for me--I don't care how good-looking they might be!

Yes people can correlate good looks with good character. Just look at Princess Diana people thought she was an angel because she looked like one.

Last edited by Jamesy on 02 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2022, 12:52 pm

I would be lying if i suggested it wasn't factored at least a little initially.

I'd rather have a deep conversation with someone, than look at them all day though.

Beauty fades and all that.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:56 pm

Some girls where shown a photo of soccer play Lionel Messi and judged him negatively because he had big pointy ears. Like he's a bad person because his ears are big?

That being said funnily enough he's regarded as being as being one of the most respected well liked soccer player. Cristiano Ronaldo who has a nicer face is not so well liked so that's a case of personality winning over looks.

Last edited by Jamesy on 02 Aug 2022, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:
KimD wrote:

Yes people can correlate good looks with good character. Just look at Princess Diana people thought she was an angel because she looked like one.

Yeah it's true about the halo effect. Better looking people are favoured. I was in a police cell once waiting to go into court and I heard two police officers talking to each other saying that I'd get off because I was pretty. I did too.

That was years ago so I don't think that kind of bias would work in a court room these days.

Anyway back on topic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:00 pm

I don't happen to be all that turned on by really "beautiful" women.

There have been many not-so-good-looking people, even in high school, who were well-liked because of their personality.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:11 pm

I've liked people who weren't stereotypically attractive. Usually, we'd be friends first, and I'd liked them as a person before things would get romantic.

With that being said, most people have something attractive about them, like their eyes or a nice smile.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:14 pm

I would never be attracted to someone who is perfectly symmetrical. I always think they look like robots.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 2:19 pm

Yes your looks do affect your dating life. It actually affects it more than most are willing to admit. There has been studies that those who are more attractive get more suitors. The second thing is what you do and what you provide to said person once you get your foot in the door. It is rare to find a person that will choose you for your personality alone.

Men: Get that bag, get resources(house, car, etc), Have at least one trade that you can do around the house like plumbing, electrical, or woodworking(best one) pretty much something that is tangible for a woman to get when you are at home. Going to the gym is optional but it does help.

Women: Buy that makeup to enhance those looks(if you need it), stay fit(trust me it will help SO MUCH), be pleasant to be around because men want peace when they come home from work not more stress, and please get a cookbook the phrase: "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach" wasn't popular for pretty much since human existence just to sound good, it actually works. Also women while you value your degrees and high paying jobs, men do not value that when looking for a potential wife and mother.

These are for the majority of people, it is what it is and trying to change it is a journey doomed to fail. Also don't hit me with the "but my wife does this" or "my husband does that" That is an exception but, an exception doesn't make the rule.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 2:52 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Women: Buy that makeup to enhance those looks(if you need it), stay fit(trust me it will help SO MUCH), be pleasant to be around because men want peace when they come home from work not more stress, and please get a cookbook the phrase: "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach" wasn't popular for pretty much since human existence just to sound good, it actually works. Also women while you value your degrees and high paying jobs, men do not value that when looking for a potential wife and mother.

We aren’t still living in the 50’s as this post seems to suggest.

If a guy wanted a perfect model of archaic womanhood, he wouldn’t be worth my time.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Aug 2022, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 3:03 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Yes your looks do affect your dating life. It actually affects it more than most are willing to admit. There has been studies that those who are more attractive get more suitors. The second thing is what you do and what you provide to said person once you get your foot in the door. It is rare to find a person that will choose you for your personality alone.

Men: Get that bag, get resources(house, car, etc), Have at least one trade that you can do around the house like plumbing, electrical, or woodworking(best one) pretty much something that is tangible for a woman to get when you are at home. Going to the gym is optional but it does help.

These are for the majority of people, it is what it is and trying to change it is a journey doomed to fail. Also don't hit me with the "but my wife does this" or "my husband does that" That is an exception but, an exception doesn't make the rule.

:lol: Are you being serious?! The bit about women sounds like the crap my parents used to lecture me and sisters about.

Get the f**k out!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
:lol: Are you being serious?! The bit about women sounds like the crap my parents used to lecture me and sisters about.

It’s the sort of thing I used to hear at home and in church. So cringey!

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 3:09 pm

^I feel your pain....my parents are Muslim, although liberal, they are very sexist.