AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 2:55 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 10:51 pm

Kansas voters block effort to ban abortion in state constitutional amendment vote

Quote:
Abortion-rights forces scored an upset victory in Kansas on Tuesday when voters rejected an amendment that would have allowed the state legislature to ban the procedure.

The vote, which comes just six weeks after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, means Kansas will remain one of the few red states where abortion is legal. It also provides hope to abortion-rights supporters who are betting on ballot initiatives in other conservative states to restore or maintain access to the procedure.

Emily Wales, the president of Planned Parenthood Great Plains, which covers Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma, said seeing the effects of abortion bans recently going into effect in roughly a dozen states made the issue more tangible for Kansans and spurred them to vote no.

Turnout for the primary also soared above usual levels Tuesday, and in some counties was closer to the participation usually seen in a presidential election. The in-person early vote, which tends to favor Democrats, was also nearly 250 percent higher than the last primary midterm election in 2018, when both Democrats and Republicans had competitive governors’ races, while the number of mail-in ballots was more than double.

The “no” campaign also outperformed in fairly conservative areas — like in Shawnee County in the eastern part of the state, coming in several points ahead of President Joe Biden’s results there in 2020.

The referendum’s result particularly shocked the state because the pro-amendment campaign had some structural advantages heading into Tuesday, and they were ahead in recent polls.

Not only is Kansas a solidly red state that twice voted for President Donald Trump, but also the supermajority Republican legislature decided to schedule the vote for the primary instead of the general election. Turnout is usually far lower in August and favors Republicans, who have more competitive primaries than Democrats in Kansas. And many college students, who trend more progressive, are away for the summer.

Student activists working to defeat the amendment said they were all more motivated by what they saw as an underhanded effort to suppress their votes.

The final days leading up to the vote were also marked by tension and confusion.

Some lawn signs for the “Value Them Both” campaign had NO spray painted over them in black capital letters. Catholic churches — the main funders of the anti-abortion campaign — have also been vandalized, while abortion-rights demonstrators have been threatened with arrest.

On Saturday, a group of anti-abortion advocates marched up and down the sidewalks of Lawrence — a progressive college town — yelling “Don’t kill babies” at passersby.

On Sunday, an 18-year-old anti-abortion canvasser who came from Texas to volunteer with the group Students for Life said she was physically assaulted by a resident while knocking on doors in the Kansas City suburb of Leawood. She filed a police report and posted a video that doesn’t show the incident itself but shows the resident yelling and giving her the finger afterward.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:22 am

My reaction to learning it was on the ballot at all was positive. If the claim is to let the people decide, well, this was letting the people decide.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:15 am

I mentioned the 2018 referendum in Ireland as evidence that abortion rights can be won that way.

If such rights can be preserved in deep-red Kansas, then there is hope for all of us.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm

Yeah, the Priest at the Catholic Church i Visit Expressed a Bit of Chagrin
Now That the General Public in Majority Ways Are Still Backing Women's
Reproductive Health Care Like Most Countries That Aren't Third World
Countries
And Under
Developed
in Common
Sense This Way;

For What is Often a Life And
Death Situation in So Many Ways
For Both Women And Men Who Respect

And Love Each Other including Retaining Rights
for the Sanctity of Breathing Life Now, Not to
Be Raped At 10 Years-Old and Forced to Carry

A Child at that Age with the Functional Disabilities
Like Incontinence That Often Occur in A Horrid
Circumstance

like that

IN REAL
LIFE, IN
REAL LIFE;

Well, People are Living
Real Lives and in Kansas

They Came to out to the Polls
And Made A Humane Decision for Humanity

No Matter if that was a 'Red State of Ignorance' or Not;

This Way for Equal Rights to Health Care for Women
In that Regard to Reproductive Freedoms and Overall

Well Being
For the
Sanctity of Breathing Life;

As They Say, 'Be Careful What You
Wish For,' It Appears the 'Wedge
Issue' May Now Favor Turn-out

For Democrats in Coming Elections too;
Indeed, Ironically What May Eventually Bring

Greater Positive
Change in Protecting
The Marginalized More
in Liberal Ways of Giving,
Sharing, Caring, Healing as
Opposed to Taking, Hoarding,
Harm in Truly Sick Ways of Humanity...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm

The people voted for abortion rights in Kansas. It's actually a great victory for the pro-choicers.

One would have thought that Kansas is as conservative as it gets.....

https://www.voanews.com/a/kansas-voters ... 85664.html

Whoops! I believe APOM beat me to it! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 8:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The people voted for abortion rights in Kansas. It's actually a great victory for the pro-choicers.

One would have thought that Kansas is as conservative as it gets.....

https://www.voanews.com/a/kansas-voters ... 85664.html

Whoops! I believe APOM beat me to it! :)

I think Sam Brownback and his tax experiment ruined right-wing populism for Kansans. He was Trump before Trump.

In 2018, they wised up and realized that Kris Kobach was bad news, and elected Laura Kelly.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!