Anyone else *not* have a strong opinion on Autism Speaks?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

Autism Speaks is a parents organization (which sells false hope!), and it’s about what we’d expect.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 12:56 pm

And I think we need to make the point confidently and assertively:

research in genetics —> selective abortions
[not there yet, but not too far away]

research in treatment methods and social supports —> can actually help some people.

===========

I am pro-choice and believe people should have autonomy over their bodies. But wow, I don’t want people getting abortions because they’re worried about autism, especially based on a lot of false information.

And I want helping methods such as what I think is called Denver Start or Denver floor time to be explored, and not just for ABA to have such a monopoly over the whole thing.

And/or what Temple Grandin has said about older seasoned speech therapists, and 20 hours a week being about the sweet spot, for her. It’s not going to be the sweet spot for everyone.

Temple also recommends recruiting some student volunteers if at all possible. And parents not driving themselves crazy by trying to do it all.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 5:47 am

Bepidrix wrote:
On the autism subreddit, they are super up in arms about Autism Speaks. I don't think they even allow you to defend it.

Too activist for me. I don't like rocking the boat unless I feel really strongly about something. Besides, I liked the blue puzzle piece logo.

It's nice to meet Aspies who dgaf

A lot if autisitcs are very hard-line. Many enjoy having ASD and think all autistics should enjoy it too.... whether they want to it not.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 7:31 am

Nades wrote:
Bepidrix wrote:
On the autism subreddit, they are super up in arms about Autism Speaks. I don't think they even allow you to defend it.

Too activist for me. I don't like rocking the boat unless I feel really strongly about something. Besides, I liked the blue puzzle piece logo.

A lot if autisitcs are very hard-line. Many enjoy having ASD and think all autistics should enjoy it too.... whether they want to it not.

Yes, their biggest flaw is they usually talk about autism as falsely just one condition they think every other autistic person is just like them.

Since the inability to see things from another perspective is considered a core symptom of many autisms that’s not really surprising

I love custard so everyone else must love eating custard too, I can’t possibly envisage why someone would not like custard the idea is totally alien to me (sarc) :D

- George Bernie Shaw

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 11:31 am

carlos55 wrote:
Nades wrote:
Bepidrix wrote:

Yes, their biggest flaw is they usually talk about autism as falsely just one condition they think every other autistic person is just like them.

Since the inability to see things from another perspective is considered a core symptom of many autisms that’s not really surprising

I love custard so everyone else must love eating custard too, I can’t possibly envisage why someone would not like custard the idea is totally alien to me (sarc) :D

The ones who enjoy having autism are the ones who just make bad company. I avoid them as I would never get along with them just like I would never get along with someone who enjoys being a Schizophrenic or Borderline.

As for Autism Speaks itself. I don't really know much about them but I noticed their older awareness campaigns were treading a very fine line. Regardless, autism is crap and I have no issue with others portraying it as that especially if they're the lesser of two evils and successfully displace hard-line autistics out the spotlight.

I would honestly rather Autism Speaks do the talking than fanatical aspies. (and that's saying a lot)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm

Autism Speaks does not speak for me.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm

Nor does it speak for me. :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 5:06 pm

And as far as some autism rights advocates going too far? Yes, that’s going to happen. Activists and advocates of all stripes will sometimes go too far and over-make a case.

And, I embrace myself. :jester:

I’m a growing, developing, evolving person. And I try to fully embrace myself, flaws and quirks included.

And yes, my autism spectrum traits fully included. :D

Bepidrix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2022, 3:18 pm

Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me, but I will happily use whatever groundwork they lay down to my advantage.

If you can self advocate, you can turn any prior knowledge to your advantage. So, the more people who know about Autism, the better. I actually almost prefer it when they only have a vague awareness provided by Autism Speaks or their "light it up blue" campaigns. It means I can tailor their understanding of what autism is to best suit my particular needs or wants.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 5:29 pm

carlos55 wrote:

Who, exactly, makes this claim? Can you provide an example?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 6:53 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Who, exactly, makes this claim? Can you provide an example?

Almost everyone who claims to explain autism but gives a one sided picture of autism omitting severe autism or severe disability.

There are many autism sites and individuals out there that do this that can be easily found.

I’m not going to bash individuals though or bother searching and trashing individual websites / Twitter ac’s

- George Bernie Shaw

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

I once made an Autism Speaks sign with a swastika replacing the puzzle piece because that's how I feel about them. First impressions do last.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:07 am

IDGAF about them. A cure will never be found. Severe autism exists and there are people with it who can't function on their own and will never be on their own and will always need 24/7 care givers and supervision.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.