Page 8 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:08 am

I have said, MANY times, that, in the present climate, it would be inadvisable to disclose one's autism.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:31 am

rse92 wrote:
I am pretty sure you aware that there are circumstances, and they are not rare, where disclosing your autism to an employer would be a very bad idea.

I am a lawyer. Google "autism and lawyers" and you would think there are no autistic lawyers. Why would that be?

I do know that it's a bad idea and I understand it from my personal POV but I don't understand why it's a bad idea in general.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:34 am

babybird wrote:
rse92 wrote:
I am pretty sure you aware that there are circumstances, and they are not rare, where disclosing your autism to an employer would be a very bad idea.  I am a lawyer. Google "autism and lawyers" and you would think there are no autistic lawyers. Why would that be?
I do know that it's a bad idea and I understand it from my personal POV but I don't understand why it's a bad idea in general.
Likely because of all the stereotypes that exist about us aspies -- from total "ret*d" (their word, not mine) to "Rain Man" to total genius.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:34 am

Because people have prejudices----that's why.

Many people are behind the eight-ball when it comes to autism----and to many other things.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:44 am

Oh yeah I understand that. That's what I was meaning when I said that the prejudice will never end unless more and more people disclose.

I was discriminated against for various things at my last job. It didn't stop me from fighting them at each and every challenge along the way.

I do understand though that some people might not be as inclined to that sort of thing as I am.

I do understand that it is a gamble as to whether to disclose or not. I think that it depends on the place of work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:48 am

In general, it would be much better and useful to disclose one's autism if one is working in the IT field.

In general, it would be worse and less useful to disclose one's autism if one is working in something like fast food or retail.

I applaud the brave people who are breaking barriers by disclosing, and advocating for themselves, while perhaps sacrificing their livelihoods.

I don't find me disclosing my autism would break any barriers, nor would it afford me any sort of advantage, so I don't do it. Even though I'm in a civil service environment, and they can't fire me for just any reason.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:56 am

I disclosed my ADHD at work. I had a student who was constantly saying that success and progress were hopeless for him because of his ADHD. He would repeatedly say: “I can’t because of my ADHD” even though, in my classroom at least, he could.

I’m glad I told him because those comments stopped, and he actually started trying.

I told a colleague that I had ASD once, but it was because he already disclosed his ASD to me.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:00 am

I think that a workplace that is prejudice against one thing would also be prejudice against most things.

Quote:
I disclosed my ADHD at work. I had a student who was constantly saying that success and progress were hopeless for him because of his ADHD. He would repeatedly say: “I can’t because of my ADHD” even though, in my classroom at least, he could.

I’m glad I told him because those comments stopped, and he actually started trying.

I told a colleague that I had ASD once, but it was because he already disclosed his ASD to me.

Yes disclosing can also encourage other people to disclose and also help people to not feel so lonely with their own struggles

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:03 am

Many workplaces are prejudiced against many things.

That's just the human animal, unfortunately.

If I would disclose at work, it wouldn't help anybody----and it would probably hurt me. It is already very difficult to fire somebody where I work----unless there is evidence of glaring incompetence. So my disclosing wouldn't affect job security. But it would hurt me in a social sense (even though I'm already thought of as being sort of "weird").

Anyway....I'm just a data entry clerk. Low man on the totem pole.

If I were in Twilight's situation, I probably would disclose as well. Because it's useful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:17 am

Yes....there are times when people have to do drastic things, or to sacrifice one's self, in order to promote progress.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:31 am

I've worked in places where the managing directors are just to involved with what's going on on the shop floor. I've found these places to be the worst for discrimination against people.

It's like they do it for sport.

You have to weigh a place up quite quickly after joining before you know whether you are safe or not. And then if you still choose to put yourself out there you need to be prepared for a fight. Otherwise don't bother.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

Exactimundo!