Neuropsychological assessment or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Regulan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

The other day I started to become suspicious of been slightly autistic after reading an article and I`ve kept reading... from Frontiers and Researchgate to children books, to Temple Grandin´s books, to youtube videos, in three languages and I think I will be buying some clinical books, because I cannot let go of wanting to know more.

I did different vocabulary tests in my mother language and two additional ones, the Autism Quocient 28 and 50, RAADS-R, CAT-Q, I´ve minusciously written stuff of my own life that was/is useful, I´ve analysed my drawings and paintings and how I communicate and my hearing sensitivities, the social draining component and how I live :no family or friends nearby, happily homesteading in a remote place, no social media, my weird interests, not being able to learn to drive a car, only sparingly cycling in the countryside.

I believe my mother thought me how to be very correct and do things to fit, in a very strenuous manner, since I was young. I think I just learned to fit, and I contemplate the idea that some of my health issues come from stress: the stress from forcing myself to do things that other people just do but that to me are herculean/draining tasks.

Sorry for my long writting.

I´m almost 40 years old. Does it make sense for me to pay for an assessment?

Thank you in advance.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:39 pm

Welcome to wrong planet

Do you need accommodations for your traits?

Do you feel you need a professional to say you are autistic or to rule it out to move on with your life?

You do not need to tell us the answers, those are for you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 11:57 pm

I decided to get neuropsychological testing to see if I had it when I was 30. I'm glad I did it because it helped me learn about myself and was validating. It was covered by my insurance. Without insurance, it would've cost $2,000, so that could be a factor worth considering. If money concerns aren't a problem, I think you should go for it! You will probably be on a waiting list, so I'd call sooner rather than later and expect to wait a few months.