Anyone feel privileged as a disabled person?

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:01 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:

I'm still really struggling with. To me, things like white privilege include things like not being afraid to drive and get pulled over, harassed, and potentially beaten or killed by the police for driving while black. To me, things like cis/het privilege include things like not having to worry about being harassed and possibly beaten or killed for being born in the wrong body or gay. Safety is, to me, a right everyone should have. But not everyone has that. You need that to be healthy, right? Even if you don't get killed, being harassed/beaten/killed will have an impact on you as a person, and not in a good way. I still have no idea how to see that as different as having good parents. Bad parents can be damaging to people, and can even get a child killed. How is one a right and the others are privileges? Aren't they all rights that not everyone is lucky enough to have? I still don't get it. I'm very likely stuck on extremes here and not thinking in terms of what all is in the middle. Sometimes I suck at listening once I have something stuck in my head. Sometimes I am not all that bright. I dunno which is happening right now.

I keep writing and deleting. I think I'm veering too far off topic with what I'd written. Honestly, this is all hitting a little too close to home for me. Maybe that's my issue in understanding... I can't get past my own experiences (and those of my ex, their family, and my children) to hear what is obvious to those who are viewing life though a different lens. I'm struggling to gather my thoughts in a coherent way. I should probably shut up now and go play solitaire or something. Meh.

This is how I understand privilge too.

I mean everyone should have the right to not be racially profiled or harassed or judged based in skin color. No one should be shot for no reason by police or stopped for no reason. No one should be murdered on their date because they "panicked." I don't see how having a loving family is any different and coming from a healthy home and having parents who support you and will bail you out like all parents should be doing unless they are poor.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.