Is the UK ever going to get rain??

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:16 pm

I keep worrying about the lack of rain the UK has been getting. The grass is all yellow and brown and dead, and I walk by a little river dam thing nearly every day and now it's just about an inch deep. And in the foreseeable forecast all it says is dry and sunny.

I'd have thought that global warming would cause more rain and thunderstorms but apparently not. Just desert dryness. I don't like it. It keeps worrying me. Will the UK get rain eventually? Has this happened before?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:22 pm

I agree. Precipitation in the Southeast has really sucked. Scotland has been doing okay, though.

I’ll do a rain dance for you :)

Seriously, I don’t like it when things are parched, either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 4:37 pm

It just makes me hate humans (nobody personally but you know what I mean) for trashing this planet. Is it because of all the carbon fumes and plastic dumped everywhere that's causing dryness or is it just an unusually dry summer?

I know that growing up in the 90s I hardly ever saw snow, and we had hot summers. Then we started getting freezing cold winters in the late 2000s/early 2010s, where we got unseasonably cold temperatures in November and lots of snow (2010 was the first time I'd ever seen snow in November, as usually if it does snow in the UK it's usually February and March). Then in the summer of 2010 and 2011 we only got about 1 week of heat, and the rest of the time it felt chilly.

I like to believe that human activity does not dictate the weather. After all, Earth once had an ice age, way before humans even existed. Who did they blame for that? The dinosaurs?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 4:48 pm

The dinosaurs were WAY before the Ice Age.

Ice Age: up to about 10,000 BC

Dinosaurs: up to about 63,000,000 BC.

To me, it’s a combination of natural and human-induced climate change.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
To me, it’s a combination of natural and human-induced climate change.

Very much this.

Humans have hardly helped, but Earth and nature itself has always experienced extreme weather and phenomena.

It hardly helps how the mainstream media are intent putting a negative, naysaying, doomsday spin on it all.

I can clearly remember the heatwave in the UK that was nearly 20 years ago, and there wasn't as much panic-inducing or hysteria-baiting as there is now. Just a disclaimer to check up on the elderly and vulnerable who are more susceptible to illness from such weather.

Newton's Third Law should eventually come into play, and then there will be non-stop complaints about the constant cold, rain and snow. :lol: 8O

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:54 am

In 1976, London had about 2 weeks straight where it was 32 Celsius or above.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:06 am

I saw an article saying "UK's first hosepipe ban", but it definitely is not the first time. There was a hosepipe ban in 2014 I think it was. It's nothing new. We've often had dry summers. It usually rains a lot in June but usually July and August are the hottest two months. We had rain at the beginning of June, although the media is saying we haven't had rain in the UK at all since winter.

I read somewhere that global warming will cause very wet summers in the UK and more thunderstorms. Doesn't look like it according to this summer. All this hot weather we've had and no thunder. We had a lot of thunder in May and June though.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In 1976, London had about 2 weeks straight where it was 32 Celsius or above.

This infamous drought has always been cited by my parents and their generation.

"Save water, have a bath with a friend", as well as the various hosepipe bans and water rationings, that the London government are thinking of implementing for the up and coming heatwaves.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:30 am

The UK is going to be like parts of Africa soon, where people will have to have very limited amounts of water and walk miles for some water.

And the UK is supposed to be a rain country.

California doesn't get much rain, do people in California have to ration out water?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:09 am

Joe90 wrote:
It just makes me hate humans (nobody personally but you know what I mean) for trashing this planet. Is it because of all the carbon fumes and plastic dumped everywhere that's causing dryness or is it just an unusually dry summer?

I know that growing up in the 90s I hardly ever saw snow, and we had hot summers. Then we started getting freezing cold winters in the late 2000s/early 2010s, where we got unseasonably cold temperatures in November and lots of snow (2010 was the first time I'd ever seen snow in November, as usually if it does snow in the UK it's usually February and March). Then in the summer of 2010 and 2011 we only got about 1 week of heat, and the rest of the time it felt chilly.

I like to believe that human activity does not dictate the weather. After all, Earth once had an ice age, way before humans even existed. Who did they blame for that? The dinosaurs?

The Ice Ages ended only 12 thousand years ago. Humans very much existed, but we were just cavemen back then. There were only a few million of us on the planet, and per capita we didnt effect the planet much because we didnt do things like drive cars yet.

Fluctuations in the climate occurred before man. But rarely as rapidly as now. The current climate change might be a combination of natural and manmade factors.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 08 Aug 2022, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:21 am

The UK will never get to the point where many of its citizens have to walk miles with a pail to get water.

But, sometimes, they might have to limit their water usage. It's not something that's easy----but it might have to get done.

In actuality, London only gets about half the rain that NYC does, believe it or not. But it usually gets enough rain---enough for it to be quite green most of the time.

The coast of California gets very little rain in the summer, and really not all that much in the winter, either----but the mountainous regions of California do get quite a bit of rain and snow.

Sometimes, people in California face rather severe water restrictions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:05 am

I've been wondering what happened to the days that the UK got rain in the summer.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

I'm worrying about it. What if the UK never gets rain again and everything will dry up completely and we'll all die?

I heard someone say that there's satellite things in the sky that can control the weather. What if terrorists are in these and they're trying to kill British people off by stopping it from raining? Is this true, or even possible, or is it just another conspiracy theory? (Feel free to point out my stupidity if you wish).
If humans can invent such technology that can control the weather then why not invent such technology that can prevent cancer?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm worrying about it. What if the UK never gets rain again and everything will dry up completely and we'll all die?

I heard someone say that there's satellite things in the sky that can control the weather. What if terrorists are in these and they're trying to kill British people off by stopping it from raining? Is this true, or even possible, or is it just another conspiracy theory? (Feel free to point out my stupidity if you wish).
If humans can invent such technology that can control the weather then why not invent such technology that can prevent cancer?

You asked for it...

Yep...that is stupidity...stupidity wrapped in insanity.

No...there are no 'terrorists' guys cramped inside of 'satellites' who are somehow 'controlling' Britain's weather from outer space.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:35 am

Quote:
You asked for it...

Yep...that is stupidity...stupidity wrapped in insanity.

No...there are no 'terrorists' guys cramped inside of 'satellites' who are somehow 'controlling' Britain's weather from outer space.

Oh, thank you, thank you. :lol: :lol:

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:39 am

This thread reminds me of this:

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).