Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2022, 5:38 pm

I used to get the train to and from work until one too many times, someone decided to play a cacophony with their phone without using headphones. Instead of having an argument (which given my level of anger would not have been a good idea), I moved carriages. Then some dropkick in the seat in front decides to have a loud conversation on her phone. How do people put up with such noise and gasbagging before even 7.00am?! I certainly can't.

Now I drive to work which of course has its own challenges but at least in my car my phone and car radio are turned off. Maybe this is an autism thing but I reckon a lot of neurotypicals would support me here.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 5:48 pm

There are no quiet public spaces anymore, not even libraries (which were at least quieter) are any kind of refuge, sadly

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 5:49 pm

im autistic and drive a bus and if a passenger has music out loud i tell them to turn it down

a lot of nts will probably agree with you

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 6:00 pm

I agree with the OP, everyone seems to have the need to pollute their space and the space of others with noise.
Even libraries, which always used to be a quiet space, are unbearably loud these days.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 6:27 pm

I've learnt to block out a lot of noise. Sorta grabbing it and throwing it into the background and focusing on other things. It's mostly a problem when trying to sleep, and that'll be speech, as I have the old habit of wondering what is being said. Helps with the bad tinnitus.

Some noises can hurt me, though. And I'll have earplugs on me most times for that reason (I'd rather earmuffs, but I don't really carry any type of bag with me).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure when the norms changed, but I've certainly noticed a shift in this direction in recent years, people watching videos with the sound on or playing music in restaurants and other public spaces. I don't like it, but I'm also not going to get in someone's business about it, just no percentage there.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 8:04 pm

DavidJSNSW64 wrote:
Maybe this is an autism thing but I reckon a lot of neurotypicals would support me here.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm

I'm one of those who blocks out the world around me. One of those people where you have to shout my name two or three times to get my attention.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 5:57 pm

Coffee Shops and restaurants often use loud music to make sure people don't stay longer than necessary. Both depend on a fairly high turn-over of table space to maximize profit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 6:49 pm

Caz72 wrote:
im autistic and drive a bus and if a passenger has music out loud i tell them to turn it down

a lot of nts will probably agree with you

if a bus driver did that here, his life would end soon.