Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have left-handed biological parents?
2 right-handed parents 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
1 right and 1 left 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
2 lefties 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Ambidextrous parent 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I don't know (adopted) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 4:00 pm

I believe many people from many neurologies require glasses after the age of about 12 or so.

I don't know many people who don't require glasses.

My father was more near-sighted than I am; my brother and my mother, though, only required reading glasses after the age of 40. I started wearing glasses at age 12.

My impression is that Aspergers/autism is not correlated with nearsightedness.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 05 Aug 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

Well correlating autism with glasses is nowhere near as random and far-fetched as correlating autism with hair colour, for example.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:09 pm

Joe, relative to your observations, I got glasses in my teens as did my Autistic mother. So far my Autistic niece and daughter don't have glasses. Time will tell. My mom and I were bookworms while my niece and daughter are athletic.

I tried to find if reddish hair is more often correlated with Autism, and can't. LOL. Every redhead I know is ND. Haven't met a typical redhead yet. I've been told by nurses that we're known as "bleeders" and sure enough I've had more than my fair share of hemorrhages. The nurse didn't say anything about Autism. :wink: My two children have brown hair. However, I occasionally find a strand of red hair (and blonde also) on the child that is Autistic (not the allistic child). LOL

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 10:37 pm

SharonB wrote:

I suspected that left-handedness is more common in ASD, as are other differences (and co-morbids) like synesthesia. Dr. Google confirms both ...

I tried to find if reddish hair is more often correlated with Autism, and can't. LOL. Every redhead I know is ND. Haven't met a typical redhead yet. I've been told by nurses that we're known as "bleeders" and sure enough I've had more than my fair share of hemorrhages. The nurse didn't say anything about Autism.

I'd never heard that before about "bleeders" and red hair :P but that explains everything!

I have auburn red hair. I'm highly ND, I have extreme synesthaesia, and I'm a bleeder who has had haemorrhages and strokes because of a genetic blood clotting disorder. My auburn-haired daughter (preemie because of my haemorrhage), is also ASD, an artist, and left-handed.

My redhead auntie was left-handed and she died of a blood cancer / disorder.

lol - Likely all a coincidence, but very interesting.

Glasses:
I was around 30 when I got my first pair of very weak reading glasses. I didn't start wearing glasses full-time until about age 45. My daughter has a low prescription for reading but barely ever wears glasses (age 25). My mother is 83 and doesn't wear glasses at all.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2022, 11:44 pm

If there's a glasses correlation, it may just be because we're less willing/interested in contacts. I tried contacts. I became such a blubbery mess trying to put them in, the optometrist asked me to go home and try there! I gave up after a couple of weeks.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:36 am

Every red-haired person I've ever met are NTs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 4:20 am

Joe90 wrote:

What does that mean?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:32 am

babybird wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

What does that mean?

Just refering to SharonB's post.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:55 am

I suppose it depends on where you're from. In some parts of the world red hair might be commonplace.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 11:24 am

I’ve met many “normal” redheads, too. I doubt very much this is correlated to autism.

In fact, it seems as if redheads tend to be social butterflies.

There is a theory that there’s more Neanderthal DNA in redheads than in other hair colors; and there’s another theory saying that Neanderthals were autistic, or at least had the “autistic gene.” I believe the former; I don’t believe the latter.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 11:30 am

I heard somewhere that true English people are red heads.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Teasing: Maybe b/c most of the ND ones emigrated to my region.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My redhead auntie was left-handed...

I'm with you on reddish-haired and left-handed: We can include my great aunt also. Sorry for your medical hardships.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2022, 6:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve met many “normal” redheads, too. I doubt very much this is correlated to autism.

In fact, it seems as if redheads tend to be social butterflies.

There is a theory that there’s more Neanderthal DNA in redheads than in other hair colors; and there’s another theory saying that Neanderthals were autistic, or at least had the “autistic gene.” I believe the former; I don’t believe the latter.

I find Neanderthals and their tiny bit of contribution to us humans fascinating, but people sure do cone up with some silly ideas about them sometimes.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2022, 8:36 pm

While she died back in 2011. Mom was a southpaw. She also had a very vicious left upper cut, especially when you pissed her off. (She was badly abused, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Her father and grandfather were the town drunks. MY BROTHERS AND I WALKED ON EGGSHELLS ALL OF THE TIME, IN ORDER NOT TO SET OFF THE TICKING TIME BOMB KNOWN AS HER TEMPER.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:37 pm

Both of my parents were left handed.

Both my sister and I are right handed.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2022, 1:36 am

Any folks with right-handed parents are also encouraged to take the poll :)