Victor Orban conservative conference hatefest

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 3:11 am

Orbán gets warm CPAC reception after 'mixed race' speech blowback

Quote:
Viktor Orbán took the stage at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Texas with an invitation for the American right.

“I’m here to tell you that we should unite our forces,” said Orbán, the Hungarian prime minister who has found himself increasingly alienated from democratic countries in Europe, as he has opposed immigration and liberal views on family and gender — and increasingly close with the MAGA-aligned American right.

Touching on his signature issues, the far-right leader railed against immigration, globalism and gender fluidity as he declared that the “West is at war with itself,” describing an ideological “battle for Western civilization” he said would be fought in Washington and Brussels.

“The globalists can all go to hell,” Orbán said to enthusiastic applause. “I have come to Texas.”

One of the very first guests to speak during the three-day conference, Orbán’s speech at CPAC comes amid swift international blowback for the prime minister over his July 23 comments that Hungary must not become a “mixed-race” country, pointing to other nations in Europe with large immigrant populations. One of Orbán’s top aides resigned over his comments, saying his speech sounded as if it were given by a “Nazi.”

But inside a half-empty convention hall at the start of CPAC, as expected, Orbán received a welcome reception from American activists who seemed unfamiliar with — but intrigued by — his policy of increased government spending to promote traditional marriage and encouraging citizens to have more children.

To the extent that CPAC gatherings are an opportunity to reinforce emerging themes in conservative politics with the Republican faithful, signs point to a growing number of politicians on the right embracing that type of nationalistic populism, which ramps up government spending to ease burdens on citizens with children — while also delivering condemnations of same-sex families, transgender rights and open borders.

“Politics are not enough,” Orbán said. “This war is a culture war. We have to revitalize our churches, our families, our universities and our community institutions.”

Ahead of the conference, the organizers of CPAC didn’t rush to defend Orbán’s comments on race — but made clear the Hungarian prime minister was still a welcome guest at their Dallas conference. Matt Schlapp, who chairs the American Conservative Union that hosts CPAC, said after Orbán’s controversial remarks that the conference would “let the man speak.”

In May, CPAC held its first conference in Hungary, where former President Donald Trump addressed the audience by video. On Tuesday, Orbán was welcomed by Trump to his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., where he called the Hungarian leader a “friend.”

They praised Hungary’s extensive government support for young married couples — a strategy Orbán’s administration has employed to increase the nation’s birth rate — and suggested conservatives in America should embrace similar policies. Some Republican politicians are beginning to champion larger tax credits for families with children, including Ohio Senate hopeful J.D. Vance, who is among the speakers at CPAC Texas, and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who says he is working to pass legislation to provide more government resources to new mothers.

“This is why Mr. Orbán is so popular there, because he is family friendly,” Lilla Vessey said. “We have been recently in Budapest and people are very happy with him.”

But even some of Orbán’s top conservative allies resisted jumping to his defense with his most recent comments.

Most attendees of CPAC, of course, aren’t voracious consumers of Hungarian news or students of Orbán’s ideology. In some cases, the recent headlines were concerning.

“I don’t know everything he says, but it was a race issue. You know, I think that makes us look bad,” said Barbara Chapman, who lives in Texas, ahead of Orbán’s speech.

“We’ve got Republicans of all races. Dr. Ben Carson’s talking, you know — I really want to see him. I don’t think it should be white-specific. We need Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, whites,” she continued.

But in a text message after Orbán’s speech, Chapman changed her tune, suggesting that news media have misconstrued Orbán’s position.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm

Friendly reminder that Western Civilization is code for White Civilization, and Marxist Globalists is code for Jews. Though Orban has become pretty explicit about the fact that he thinks Jews want to destroy the white race. And he is not alone among "mainstream" conservatives these days.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:49 pm

In a speech delivered to the 31st Bálványos Summer Free University and Student Camp in July 2022, Orbán expressed views that were later described as "a pure Nazi text" by one of his senior advisers, Zsuzsa Hegedus, in her letter of resignation (Politico, 2022-07-26). In the speech, Orbán stated that "Migration has split Europe in two -- or I could say that it has split the West in two. One half is a world where European and non-European peoples live together. These countries are no longer nations: they are nothing more than a conglomeration of peoples" and "we are willing to mix with one another, but we do not want to become peoples of mixed-race". The speech drew widespread condemnation from both the Romanian foreign ministry and other European leaders (Financial Times, 2022-07-27).