Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:28 pm

This may not sound much pain to you but believe me it's hell.

After cleaning my teeth earlier I somehow got a teeny bit of toothpaste at the back of my throat and ever since then my throat has been really burning. I've tried everything in the book to relieve it, like gargling with salt water, sipping hot tea, drinking water and milk, and even a spoonful of honey. Nothing worked. I feel like I have swallowed bleach or something. It's like a cold burn in my throat where you swallow, and nothing will shift it. I feel like I'm going to start gagging. I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything. It's gone to my ears as well and is causing severe earache in both ears. It's 2.30am and I'm really tired but I can't sleep with this pain. I'm not sure painkillers will help this kind of pain. Why are throats so sensitive? It was probably a piece of toothpaste so tiny that you'll have to see it under a microscope, yet it can cause all this pain and grief. It's making me feel ill. I want it to go away right now so I can have some sleep. Help! :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:46 pm

Poor Joe! Sorry about that....

I believe this pain will go away soon. I've had this happen to me, too.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:13 am

Have you got any lozenges for a sore throat at all?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:39 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Have you got any lozenges for a sore throat at all?

No, but I think I'll buy some today. My throat really hurts now. I can't believe toothpaste would do that, and it isn't even a strong one either, it's mild.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 4:03 am

Wow I didnt know that happened to anyone. Hope you get better soon

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:39 am

It can be painful toothpaste if you get it in the wrong place.

That's why it's labelled Toothpaste and not Hemorrhoid Cream.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

Its probably not the toothpaste causing it. It sounds like a possible ear-infection. That can lead to a sore throat such as you describe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 11:19 am

Or it could be a cold coming on.

I’m just getting over a cold.

It started with a sore throat.

It wasn’t COVID.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 11:32 am

I had that with a celery string once, it was horrible. I tried everything. I just had to wait for my throat to somehow pull it downwards. I don't know what happened, it was scary, I kept thinking I would choke. Never eaten celery since!

So I feel for you and I hope it will go soon. Did you manage to sleep sitting up? I'm always doing that and now I can sleep sitting up quite well :?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 12:34 pm

It is not a cold. The pain immediately came on about 2 seconds after cleaning my teeth, first starting off with a toothpaste burn that I've gotten before. Too much toothpaste came out on the brush, and as I was brushing my teeth a bit of toothpaste stuck to the back of my tongue and touched the back of my throat. It got worse as the time went on (well, a few minutes and the next hour or so), then when I woke up this morning my throat felt sore and it felt like there was a lump there but I reckon it's a bit of skin where the toothpaste had somehow burnt off. Ouch.

Definitely 100% not a cold.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 12:55 pm

All right.

I hope the pain goes away soon.

JDintheQuietCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm

Maybe try Orajel, Cepacol (these are US brands) or some other type of numbing agent that is appropriate for dental / mouth?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It is not a cold. The pain immediately came on about 2 seconds after cleaning my teeth, first starting off with a toothpaste burn that I've gotten before. Too much toothpaste came out on the brush, and as I was brushing my teeth a bit of toothpaste stuck to the back of my tongue and touched the back of my throat. It got worse as the time went on (well, a few minutes and the next hour or so), then when I woke up this morning my throat felt sore and it felt like there was a lump there but I reckon it's a bit of skin where the toothpaste had somehow burnt off. Ouch.

Definitely 100% not a cold.

I wonder if somehow the toothpaste or something has scratched the back of your throat and there is a tiny wound. Toothpastes are abrasive, they must be in order to clean the teeth. If that is the case, it will eventually heal. Probably in 2 days.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:13 pm

I do it all the time because I wolf my food too fast. I get spicy noodles hitting the back of my throat and it burns so much.

I almost burnt the roof of my mouth off once with cheese on toast.

Mouth wounds heal up quite fast because I think you have healing properties in your saliva.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:18 pm

babybird wrote:
Mouth wounds heal up quite fast because I think you have healing properties in your saliva.

Yes, they do, I've heard that. Hopefully Joe's wound will heal quickly if it is a wound.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

Try Sensodyne. Very good for sensitive teeth. :)

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).