Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:19 pm

Those of you considering visiting Australia and think it's cool to get photographed holding a koala, this might be a cautionary tail (I mean tale).
A woman has escaped serious injury after an adorable koala attacked her by the side of the road in Queensland.
The unfortunate encounter was captured by onlookers on Thursday as the woman slowly approached the koala on a busy motor way.In the video captioned ‘talking to a drop bear gone wrong’, the marsupial lunged at the woman as she slowly greeted the animal.

The koala continued to attack the woman even while she was flat on the road. Environmental officers say she is lucky to have escaped more serious injury

I love the video in this link, even when ferocious the little koala is extremely cute
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -road.html

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 12:36 am

Aww wittle fuzzy wuzzy wuz just playing.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2022, 1:01 am

Why are people so damned stupid?????! !! ! NEVER APPROACH A WILD ANIMAL, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE BADLY MAULED, OR DIE!! !! !

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:11 am

Yeah, lots of problems with people getting too close to black bears, elk, and other wildlife where I hike in the Smokies. I don't care what happens to these potential Darwin Award candidates, it's the animals I'm concerned about. If they do attack, they will most likely be euthanized.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:14 am

MuddRM wrote:
Why are people so damned stupid?????! ! ! ! NEVER APPROACH A WILD ANIMAL, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE BADLY MAULED, OR DIE!! ! ! !

It's a koala, they have been known to give the odd scratch to tourists but never seen one actually launch itself :lol:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:09 am

I remember when I was with a friend and there was a squirrel playing around and acting friendly. So he squatted down and the squirrel launched at him. He recoiled quickly and it scampered off. It's unknown if the squirrel wanted to give him a hug, or wanted to gnaw his face off.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:14 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Yeah, lots of problems with people getting too close to black bears, elk, and other wildlife where I hike in the Smokies. I don't care what happens to these potential Darwin Award candidates, it's the animals I'm concerned about. If they do attack, they will most likely be euthanized.

Agreed

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:15 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I remember when I was with a friend and there was a squirrel playing around and acting friendly. So he squatted down and the squirrel launched at him. He recoiled quickly and it scampered off. It's unknown if the squirrel wanted to give him a hug, or wanted to gnaw his face off.

A lot of small cuddly mammals can get quite territorial and aggressive in the wild, particularly if they have babies.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

A lot of small cuddly mammals can get quite territorial and aggressive in the wild, particularly if they have babies.

We were actually next to a shopping mall.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:12 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

We were actually next to a shopping mall.

Was there an acorn tree nearby?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:34 am

cyberdad wrote:

Maybe. There's lots of oak trees and some chestnut trees in the general vicinity. But it was still in the middle of the city. I think I've only seen squirrels in populated areas. The ones in the wild probably disappear before they can be seen. The mall squirrels are probably used to being fed and scavenging.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 06 Aug 2022, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:37 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Maybe. There's lots of oak trees and some chestnut trees in the general vicinity. But it was still in the middle of the city. I think I've only seen squirrels in populated areas. The ones in the wild probably disappear before they can be seen.

I enjoy seeing American news in Washington or NY with squirrels running in the background

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Maybe. There's lots of oak trees and some chestnut trees in the general vicinity. But it was still in the middle of the city. I think I've only seen squirrels in populated areas. The ones in the wild probably disappear before they can be seen.

I enjoy seeing American news in Washington or NY with squirrels running in the background

They're pretty prolific in lots of areas in North America. There were a lot of them where I grew up. I remember they used to scold me while up in trees. One time one was throwing nuts at me.

I'd say the closest thing to koalas we have here are racoons.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:58 am

Well, I hope she thinks twice before trying to cuddle wild animals - somehow I doubt it, but we can still hope.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:45 am

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 9:44 am

Same thing happens when people try to pet a raccoon because it looks so fuzzy wuzzy.