Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 9:26 am

Autism influencer Jeremiah Josey releases a new book about his experience as a Black man with autism.

Quote:
Autism influencer Jeremiah Josey’s new book, Here’s What I Want You to Know 2 brings the autistic perspective to the BLM movement with heart and passion. In simple and powerful terms, Jeremiah opens up about his experiences as a Black man with autism and recounts his racial awakening, when he was profiled by police in an airport while comforting a young white woman who had missed her flight.

Jeremiah writes that he is afraid that he might not understand police commands; that it is crucial to fight for what you believe in; and that resiliency and advocacy are your power. His story sheds light on the unique challenges autistic people of color face, while showing that anything is possible if you have the courage to pursue your dreams.

Jeremiah Josey is quickly becoming the face of autistic young adulthood. At just 22, he is already a baker, model, author, and motivational speaker. Undefeated by autism, he has cooked alongside a wide range of talented chefs, appeared on Steve Harvey’s show Steve, walked the runway at New York Fashion Week, and starred in print campaigns for Tommy Hilfiger and Kohl’s adaptive lines. Jeremiah was chosen as one of the top 14 autism influencers on social media by The Mighty community and was named a 2020 Flutie Fellow, sponsored by the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism. Jeremiah has big dreams, and he’s inspiring others with autism to feel ambitious, talented, and confident along the way!

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 4:31 pm

I'd be very interested in reading such a book.

FantaOpossum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2022, 11:54 am

Very interested in hearing more experiences of intersectionality regarding the black experience and autism.

I can relate as a black person. I fear the police for not only being, well, black and therefore a walking target, but also misinterpreting the social cues of a police officer, which could cost me my life if I'm not careful.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2022, 3:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism influencer Jeremiah Josey releases a new book about his experience as a Black man with autism.
Quote:
Autism influencer Jeremiah Josey’s new book, Here’s What I Want You to Know 2 brings the autistic perspective to the BLM movement with heart and passion. In simple and powerful terms, Jeremiah opens up about his experiences as a Black man with autism and recounts his racial awakening, when he was profiled by police in an airport while comforting a young white woman who had missed her flight.

Jeremiah writes that he is afraid that he might not understand police commands; that it is crucial to fight for what you believe in; and that resiliency and advocacy are your power. His story sheds light on the unique challenges autistic people of color face, while showing that anything is possible if you have the courage to pursue your dreams.

Jeremiah Josey is quickly becoming the face of autistic young adulthood. At just 22, he is already a baker, model, author, and motivational speaker. Undefeated by autism, he has cooked alongside a wide range of talented chefs, appeared on Steve Harvey’s show Steve, walked the runway at New York Fashion Week, and starred in print campaigns for Tommy Hilfiger and Kohl’s adaptive lines. Jeremiah was chosen as one of the top 14 autism influencers on social media by The Mighty community and was named a 2020 Flutie Fellow, sponsored by the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism. Jeremiah has big dreams, and he’s inspiring others with autism to feel ambitious, talented, and confident along the way!

sounds great!!