What Politics/Philosophy books are you reading?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2022, 7:25 am

Hello. I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread in which people can share what they are reading at the moment within the realm of the social sciences (Politics, Philosophy, History and so on). I'm reading The Tyranny of Merit by Michael Sandel. It is an analysis of meritocracy that challenges some of its most basic assumptions, analysing its social and economic consequences.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 10:22 am

Lao Tsu’s “Art of War”.

Machiavelli’s “The Prince”.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy’s “The Ethics of Manipulation”.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 3:10 pm

Melvyn Goldstein: The Snow Lion and the Dragon
Balanced Tibet - China's modern political history.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
Hello. I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread in which people can share what they are reading at the moment within the realm of the social sciences (Politics, Philosophy, History and so on). I'm reading The Tyranny of Merit by Michael Sandel. It is an analysis of meritocracy that challenges some of its most basic assumptions, analysing its social and economic consequences.

I have a biography about the politician Clayton Williams that is really interesting.Clayton Williams was the oil baron who famously lost the 1990 Texas Governor Election against Ann Richards.He lived a very interesting and accomplished life in most everything he did in life but his short career as a politician.Clayton Williams was basically the Lone Star version of Trump.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:02 pm

Manifesto of a Passionate Moderate - Susan Haack

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 10:40 pm

I recently finished The War on the West, by Douglas Murray.

I was pleasantly surprised, I don't normally like books that are too on the nose to my own beliefs, I get bored by the preaching to the choir thing, but between the slightly different focus offered by the author's British vantage point and his wider lens of the greater anti-western tendency in leftist politics rather than just wokeness, I found a lot of fresh ground to cover. I also just enjoyed his written voice, the very dry humor was amusing, and helped lighten up the subject matter, which was often infuriating for someone with more classically liberal beliefs such as myself. I think I got some extra utility out of this one because he expands on a lot of themes I'm very familiar with from reading some of the works mentioned, but I'd also recommend this one to more modern liberals who are perhaps puzzled by the apoplectic reactions to wokeness and identity politics and would like a better understanding of where the objections are coming from.

https://www.amazon.com/War-West-Douglas ... B09HSBM23P

enz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 11:08 pm

Inner engineering by Sadhguru