TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:30 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Anyone who considers themselves "pro-life" should be for more education funding so EVERY child can have a quality education.
There is a problem with that: Many who claim to be “Pro-Life” are really just “Pro-Birth”, and could not possibly care less about what happens to someone else’s children after they are born.

This includes providing funding for quality education.

I live in a very conservative county and parent groups have complained on Facebook that we make too much money. :roll:

If they had their way they would then complain about classrooms being overcrowded and how their precious child's education is not challenging enough.

They do that already, and I agree with them, but I don’t think that reducing funding is the answer. :lol:

Probably most of them don’t fully think things through. They probably also don’t realize how much money teachers are spending on materials, snacks, and the occasional pair of sneakers or Halloween costume for their kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:37 pm

Parents and teachers should be a partnership. Parents should know about the struggles of teachers, and vice versa.

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2022, 8:45 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
There are a lot of bad teachers and staff members out there. It doesn’t mean they are groomers, but it doesn’t help improve parents’ attitudes towards schools.

Where I live, there’s a huge divide between parents and teachers/administration with both sides viewing the other as the enemy. I tend to take a middle ground. When all of the blame is placed on the parents (as it is every time), there is no concept of growth, improvement, or striving to meet the needs of individual kids. It’s beyond frustrating. That’s a conservative school for ya! :roll:

When I was in school I had both good and bad teachers. Even in middle school I could tell which teachers were able to control the class and engage students and which teachers couldn't.

Wen I was in elementary school I was bullied and the teachers ignored it. This was in the early-mid 2000s. That is not allowed anymore. In 2010 there was a lot of discussion among people about bullying, cyber bullying and Megan Meier and all 50 states passed laws against bullying. My stated passed a law that requires schools to maintain a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment, and bullying and this is also the policy of the NYCDOE. Schools are now expected to incorporate social-emotional learning and provide quality counseling programs. I'm very happy for these changes.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:48 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
The groomer thing was started by transphobes who don't believe gender identity should be taught in schools or that trans children should have their identity affirmed, such as using chosen names and pronouns.

Not really, the activists at the heart of it are school choice advocates trying to create a groundswell of support of backpack funding and charter schools, this is just the latest wedge they've discovered for that purpose.

I do actually think they have a point about teaching some of the current radical gender ideology stuff to younger kids, I don't think kindergartners have much of a conception of what sex and gender are, and trying to teach these relatively advanced concepts to them seems like it's more likely to cause harm and confusion than any positive results.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I do actually think they have a point about teaching some of the current radical gender ideology stuff to younger kids, I don't think kindergartners have much of a conception of what sex and gender are, and trying to teach these relatively advanced concepts to them seems like it's more likely to cause harm and confusion than any positive results.

My school does not do this. I highly doubt most are. It sounds more like a far right scare tactic.

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
The groomer thing was started by transphobes who don't believe gender identity should be taught in schools or that trans children should have their identity affirmed, such as using chosen names and pronouns.

Not really, the activists at the heart of it are school choice advocates trying to create a groundswell of support of backpack funding and charter schools, this is just the latest wedge they've discovered for that purpose.

Most "school choice" advocates want the government to provide vouchers for private schools. Usually it's parents who want to send their kid to a religious school, or don't want their kid learning about critical race theory, etc. They don't want public schools to actually improve.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:14 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
My school does not do this. I highly doubt most are. It sounds more like a far right scare tactic.

Remember that part where I mentioned that my brother is a public school teacher, and that there were plenty of leaked documents around showing that this is actually happening?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:15 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Most "school choice" advocates want the government to provide vouchers for private schools. Usually it's parents who want to send their kid to a religious school, or don't want their kid learning about critical race theory, etc. They don't want public schools to actually improve.

Or, they don't want their children indoctrinated with voguish theories, which hardly seems objectionable.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Remember that part where I mentioned that my brother is a public school teacher, and that there were plenty of leaked documents around showing that this is actually happening?

Right… :roll:

I don’t buy into conspiracy theories and I don’t know your brother.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:17 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:

I think that critical race theory and gender theory should be taught, but it’s not being taught to kindergarteners in most schools. Late elementary/middle school sounds reasonable (which is what is mostly being done).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I don’t buy into conspiracy theories and I don’t know your brother.

You also don't seem to know what a conspiracy theory is, as none has been mentioned here.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2022, 10:20 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.

Of course, I remember at least one person in college saying that they were going into teaching because they “weren’t smart enough for anything else.”

Education classes are mind-numbingly easy.

Oh? Some 40 years ago, I attempted to get my certification in music education. If you think teaching music to the kiddos is easy, GUESS AGAIN! The university where I attempted to get my certification was the first state-owned normal school in PA. If you even wanted to barely pass all the pedagogy classes (including the different educational philosophies and methods in music education (specifically, Dalcroze, Suzuki, and Koldaly), as well as becoming proficient on ALL musical instruments, be prepared to spend at least 95% of your time in the practice room and rehearsal hall, and forget about having a social life. You were REQUIRED to spend. 35 hour day in order to barely complete your coursework. Musicians, especially the good ones, are perfectionists to begin with. (I always said I was a lousy perfectionist. As an undergrad, I had accompanists for breakfast, lunch and dinner.). What’s worse, when you don’t have respect and support from your parents. To this day, I have to battle with my brothers, who have no idea what I go through in music preparation for performance. Case in point: You wouldn’t believe how much teaching I have to do with my church’s organist, as her training has been with “praise band” charts. She, starting to get how this lyric tenor operates (my influences are Jussi Bjoerling, Sir Jon Vickers, Franco Corelli, Pavarotti, etc.). As a historian once stated, “Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it.”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm

My school district does have trouble retaining music teachers because of the lack of support.

I usually hate it when I have to sub for a music teacher. Sometimes there are kids with significant special needs, especially emotional/behavioral problems, their entire classroom and no paraprofessional to help out.

Christmastime wasn't too bad. I mostly entertained them with singing Christmas carols. By the end of the day, I wanted to shoot poor, little Rudolf and eat him, though. Nothing turns me into Mr. Scrooge more than Christmas music.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:45 am

Dox47 wrote:

Only took a couple of pages of posts before you pull this tripe. I don't live in the US but anyone with half a brain knows this has nothing to do with why there's a teacher shortage and I suspect you probably know this but of course you have to peddle these ideas

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:51 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
1. I am a teacher, so I don’t need to visit. :wink:

2. I actually see many older teachers in my school and school district. We have 4 male teachers.

4. Loan forgiveness is an option for a public service job like teaching.

5. Yes, burn-out due to stress and low pay is a problem. Teaching is not for everyone.

1. If you are there as a teacher then you are going to be in a better position to know what's happening on the ground :wink:
2. I work in the city of Melbourne as an educational consultant (I'm never actually qualified as a teacher although I do tutor) and there's virtually no male teachers. Where male teachers exist they tend to teach STEM and physical education. It's possible regional schools have a higher number of male teachers?
3. loans still need to be paid back. Here in Australia you can't take loans for postgraduate degrees.
4. a lot of burned out teachers went in with good intentions

Last edited by cyberdad on 09 Aug 2022, 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:56 am

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
How entitled of them to consider teachers "losers" while expecting a high quality education for their precious child.

The worst are "tiger moms". They will murder their kids if they decide on embarking on a career in teaching and will call teaching the lowest profession to choose for their little darlings. But they expect us to be Harvard educated with PhDs and highly gifted with IQs of 200 to be qualified to teach them :roll: